++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 18, 2011 at 7:43 AM Post #10,231 of 29,490
Hello, 
I'm new to the forum. I would like some advice on buying my first set of decent headphones.
I was planning on buying a pair of ATH-M50 which I found on sale on a local online shop (here in Italy) for 125€. And from the reviews I read here it seems quite a bargain.
But my problem is that I own a macbook (white 6.1) which suffers from static noise when inserting headphones.
So I was seeking some advice on how to address this issue.
Would it be better to get a portable amp such as the Fiio E6 or should I get an external sound card for example Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro II or Syba USB2.0 7.1CH Sound Adapter (btw, is this any good for 3$)?

So I'm seeking some advice about this, I'd be glad to receive any raccomandation. Bye.

Dec 18, 2011 at 8:49 AM Post #10,232 of 29,490
I'm no expert, but if you are having hissing noise from your Mac I would buy a DAC. That way you'll skip the internal soundcard all the way. You can also look into getting both a DAC/AMP in one device. One that works well with your M50's. I'm betting you'll find some nice devices by searching some on this forum. Maybe look into some of the Fiio products? Maybe the Fiio E10? It's around 85$. 

Dec 18, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #10,233 of 29,490
Husa,

My experience with the DT 770/80 is that it sounds fairly good driven out of most headphone jacks, but does improve with amplification. It would be a good headphone to grow a system with.

That said, I sure hope that you have spent a bit more on the girlfriend, because a Roland RH-5 is nowhere near the cost of the DT 770/80. I assume you're trying to hide it for holiday purposes (just in case).

Dec 18, 2011 at 9:40 AM Post #10,235 of 29,490
Hi,

I am not an audiophile, but I do need a replacement for my HD-201s which I recently sat on. I would like a headphone that is comparably priced (under $50) and still a closed headphone.

I am considering the ATH M-30, some of the cheaper Superlux, and simply getting a new pair of HD 201s, but am more than open to new suggestions.

I know this is a common question, and a fairly unreasonable one at that, but I would still appreciate some feedback. 

Thanks!

Dec 18, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #10,236 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm no expert, but if you are having hissing noise from your Mac I would buy a DAC. That way you'll skip the internal soundcard all the way. You can also look into getting both a DAC/AMP in one device. One that works well with your M50's. I'm betting you'll find some nice devices by searching some on this forum. Maybe look into some of the Fiio products? Maybe the Fiio E10? It's around 85$. 

I see, but I'm looking for something possibly cheap and portable, as I'm trying to keep the shipping costs low also... :p
I've read that the macbook problem could be lowered by using a higher impedence and the Fiio 6 should have this option also, so maybe it could be a temporary solution. I could also use the Fiio 6 with other portable devices such as my mp3 player.
The DAC option seems a bit unfito to me, cause of the size and price of most DACs I've seen so far.
Would it be worth to get a cheap external usb soundcard also?

Dec 18, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #10,238 of 29,490

Quote:
I see, but I'm looking for something possibly cheap and portable, as I'm trying to keep the shipping costs low also... :p
I've read that the macbook problem could be lowered by using a higher impedence and the Fiio 6 should have this option also, so maybe it could be a temporary solution. I could also use the Fiio 6 with other portable devices such as my mp3 player.
The DAC option seems a bit unfito to me, cause of the size and price of most DACs I've seen so far.
Would it be worth to get a cheap external usb soundcard also?

The obvious solution would be the FiiO E7

Dec 18, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #10,239 of 29,490
Samac, the E6 is 20$ and the other really good alternatives like the E7 and E10 is about 80$. Your choice, but considering the DAC actually works as a external soundcard I would seriously consider those. Also, mp4nation ships for free worldwide. Its probably gonna take a while though - but my guess it thats its well worth the wait. 

Dec 18, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #10,240 of 29,490
Thanks a lot for the info guys.
The E7 looks a bit more portable to me, yet larger than the E6.
One last question, would I be able to use the E7 with an mp3 player or ebook reader also or it's specifically intended for pc use?
And about mp4nation site also, I never heard about it. Is it a safe site?
Anybody knows where they ship from and if there's the risk of having to pay custom fees?

Thanks again for the info :)

Dec 18, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #10,242 of 29,490

Quote:
The E7 looks a bit more portable to me, yet larger than the E6.
One last question, would I be able to use the E7 with an mp3 player or ebook reader also or it's specifically intended for pc use?
And about mp4nation site also, I never heard about it. Is it a safe site?
Anybody knows where they ship from and if there's the risk of having to pay custom fees?

Yes, it would work with anything that has a 3.5mm jack out. But read some reviews before you buy, I don't personally own it. Mp4nation is legit indeed. They ship from China I believe. The parcels are marked with a value of 25$ so it all depends on the customs rules of your country. There is always a risk of having to pay customs fees. 

Dec 18, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #10,243 of 29,490
Hey guys I have decided to go with the E10's even though they are not portable but is a better dac/amp than the E7. I am going with the HD598's and when I want to be portable around the house with my pandora radio and my phone will I miss out on too much?
Also wiring the E10's it self. Could I use the line out to my speaker system?

Dec 18, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #10,245 of 29,490
hey

anyone heard of AKG K404 headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back