++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 6, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #9,886 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi all,
Looking to upgrade from my Audio Technica A700's, for something with more clarity, but hopefully a similar bass level.  Looking to keep under $300.  I currently have a Fiio E10 to drive them with.  
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
~Rock

Audio Technica just came out with the ATH-A700X and the ATH-A900X

Dec 6, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #9,887 of 29,490
Hiya, what would y'all consider a closed equivalent of Grados? Or at the least a good closed headphone for extreme metal?

I've been lurking around the forums for quite a while and have never seen this come up, so I'm quite in the dark. I love the sound of my SR-80i, although I wouldn't mind a teeensy more bass, and am in need of a closed headphone for ~$300. Gonna need it to be able to run unamped, unless you guys can rec me a headphone + amp combo for $300 combined.

Thanks!

Dec 6, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #9,888 of 29,490

Quote:
Hiya, what would y'all consider a closed equivalent of Grados? Or at the least a good closed headphone for extreme metal?

I've been lurking around the forums for quite a while and have never seen this come up, so I'm quite in the dark. I love the sound of my SR-80i, although I wouldn't mind a teeensy more bass, and am in need of a closed headphone for ~$300. Gonna need it to be able to run unamped, unless you guys can rec me a headphone + amp combo for $300 combined.

Thanks!

I felt that the Phiaton MS300 actually had a bit of a grado-like signature to it. 

Dec 6, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #9,889 of 29,490
Bit of a newb when it comes to headphones but right now I only have one or two options I'm aware of for a pair of headphones so I'm looking to see what else there is on the market.

Requirements are that they should be good for gaming and comfortable for long sessions and good build quality, budget wise preferably round the £100 mark or less but £140 max. I'll be using the headset for the Xbox 360 and PC, so I'm looking for mic options if anyone has any recommendations for one of those. Nothing to expensive there.

Dec 6, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #9,890 of 29,490
Hi first post here, found out about this site from some of the audiophiles at overclock.net. I've been lurking for a while and I've finally decided to take the plunge on my first real set of headphones. I will be using them for gaming mostly although I imagine once I get them I will be  listening to music a lot more. 
wink_face.gif
  Looking for something that will really immerse me in the games, not really looking for staging so much but that would  be a plus. Like I said I will be listening to some music with them and I listen to quite a bit of dubstep so they need to have some bass. I don't want to spend over $100 on the phones themselves, would be willing to spend a little bit over for a better sound card. After quite a bit of research I've turned up the Aurvana Live!, Panasonic HTF600 and Samson SR850 as cantidates. They are all around the $50 range and seem to meet my criteria. I'm leaning toward the SR850 because I prefer open-back and it sounds like they have quite a bit of bass. Was wondering how easy these were to drive and what sound cards you guys would recommend. I'm also open to other suggestions as well if they are under my budget and meet most of my criteria.

Dec 7, 2011 at 4:54 AM Post #9,893 of 29,490
if i have SR60, do yo think i will like AD700? i like the clarity of SR60
I've heared AD300, i think it less harsh and the bass doesnt lack, but i dont know about AD700.. is AD300 have more bass than AD700 ? thx

Dec 7, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #9,894 of 29,490
He there 
after some guidance, what headphones to buy owning hd 25, I'm after more detail and transparency with out loss of bass, musically tastes varied but mainly indie, source iPad 2, cost does not matter to much ceiling say 1000 British pounds, amp to come latter 

Cheers
karl

Dec 7, 2011 at 8:56 AM Post #9,895 of 29,490
Hello, straight to the point:
Budget £110 or $170 give or take,
Closed back preferably
Drum & Bass, Dubstep stuff with a heavy bassline.
Un-amped
comfortable for longer sessions and tight fitting

Thinking about getting one of these:

ATH M50S
ATH Pro500
Denon AH-D1001

Or any other reccomendations

Thanks

Dec 7, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #9,897 of 29,490

Quote:

So you want them for gaming, isolation, and you listen mainly to metal and rock... 

The D2000 does not isolation well, the D1100 is better. The Ultrasone Pro650 is good, and also consider an HFi680/780. The Beyer DT770 might be too bassy and it wants an amp anyways. The Senns I mentioned earlier are all pretty good all-rounders and have very strong isolation.

thanks to you and everyone else who replied, I ended up getting the denon d1100's in the end, they arrived earlier today, listened to them all morning and I am very happy with them :D, they were pretty much exactly what I was looking for and they were actually better then I was expecting :),

Dec 7, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #9,899 of 29,490

Hi.  So far I've had Portapros (loved them, but they were broken in a car wreck), then a pair of SR-80is(which I adored).  They lasted about a year or two before one of the speakers stopped working (****** cables). The open designs were a problem as well, considering I mainly listen to music on the go.  So, I need closed headphones under $150 (I will get an amp at some point maybe).

Which would be best for Rock/Metal (Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Queen, Yes, Dream Theater, Queensryche, Styx, Journey, Beatles, Pink Floyd, Rush etc.) while still being durable enough to last for more than a year or two (Appearance and portabilty are NOT a concern)?

I'm currently looking at the Sony V6 and (possibly) ath m50

Dec 7, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #9,900 of 29,490

Quote:
The D2000/5000 are good, I prefer the open backed Audio Technicas to the closed ones, and Ultrasones are nice if a little hollow sounding at times due to their S-Logic. 

If you know the sound of the Senns and like them though, go with that. They were the first thing that came to mind as I was reading your post. 

Thanks for your reply. Actually I already bought a HD650 - but I'd like to try other options as well. I'll probably add a Denon or Audio-Technica for comparison with the HD650, keep the one I like better and sell the other(s). And lose a lot of time and money in the process, no doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back