++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 9, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #7,966 of 29,490

Quote:
Whatever falls into the price range with as many of the things I listed. I also dont want to have to turn it up insanely loud to compete with the room.

Im pretty noobish with this kind of stuff, but I know I want to keep my hearing
bigsmile_face.gif

Hmm, maybe the HD380 then. Good sound and comfort (once the initial clamp wears off), fantastic isolation, and folds down into a travel case for portability.

Quote:
Hey all,

So my b-day is coming up soon and I've decided that it's time to upgrade my headphones since I basically live in them during my free time. My previous cans were a set of MDR-V6 (right ear gave out after 2 years of gentle use) and currently are a pair AKG K271 which I find is nice for rock but not so much the other genres I listen to which is predominantly electronicidmindie rock, and instrumental hip-hop. I love drums and idm/electronic music that incorporates lots of intricately placed sounds filling the soundstage so something that will translate this would be awesome. I'll eventually be getting either a cmoybb, a nuforce icon mobile or udac-2 to go along with my new set but for now it'll be plugged straight into an old audigy 2 sound card. 

What I'm looking for:
  1. ~$200-250, maybe 300 if it's a significant leap but would prefer less
  2. closed circumaural with decent isolation and low leakage
  3. portability not necessary but always a plus
  4. comfortable enough for long (3+ hour) sessions with stock pads
  5. translates drums and sub bass well but doesn't skimp on mids and highs for rock
  6. nice soundstage for idm music and maybe a bit of gaming
  7. open to entry-level amp or dac suggestions as well

I know if I didn't ask for some opinions I'd be researching well into the next year. Thanks for taking the time to read through this and helping me on my quest!

A few suggestions:
Shure 940
Ultrasone HFi780
Pioneer HDJ-2000

Oct 9, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #7,967 of 29,490

Quote:
Hmm, maybe the HD380 then. Good sound and comfort (once the initial clamp wears off), fantastic isolation, and folds down into a travel case for portability.

A few suggestions:
Shure 940
Ultrasone HFi780
Pioneer HDJ-2000

How does the HD380 compare with the HD598 and the HD595? Also, which headphones are most versatile for rap, rock, and metal? I listen to all of them so I hope I dont have to sacrifice much.

Oct 9, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #7,968 of 29,490

Quote:
How does the HD380 compare with the HD598 and the HD595?

Well the HD380 is closed and has very high isolation. The bass extension goes deeper, but really the whole bass region is slightly elevated, The 595/598 are more mid focused and should feel smoother in the treble.

Oct 9, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #7,969 of 29,490

Quote:
Well the HD380 is closed and has very high isolation. The bass extension goes deeper, but really the whole bass region is slightly elevated, The 595/598 are more mid focused and should feel smoother in the treble.

So how would rap, rock, and metal be affected? Which headphones are versatile enough for all three of those genres? I'm still a noob with all this stuff, but I'm trying!

Also, would you recommend the FA-003s? They seem to be ranked pretty well.

Oct 9, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #7,970 of 29,490

Quote:
So how would rap, rock, and metal be affected? Which headphones are versatile enough for all three of those genres? I'm still a noob with all this stuff, but I'm trying!

Also, would you recommend the FA-003s? They seem to be ranked pretty well.

They are all three good headphones. If I had to pick for those genres, I would say go with the 595 or 598 as long as you're fine with an open headphone.

I haven't heard the Fischers, so can't comment there.

Oct 9, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #7,971 of 29,490
Speaking of the Fischers, where can I purchase one? I'm thinking the FA-003's would be a nice upgrade after my SRH940's...or a Thunderpants headphone, although those are a lot more expensive. If I recall correctly, the FA-003's run for around $200.

Fischer Audio's website used to be running a few months ago, but when I did a quick search, their website is down. :/

Oct 9, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #7,972 of 29,490
Hey guys.  I purchased my first set of cans in over a decade recently and after the initial shine wore off I find myself not listening to them too much... not because they don't sound good but because they're not terribly comfortable.  I bought the AKG K271 Mkii and I find the cups to be both too small (they still sit either on top of the top or bottom of my ear) and too shallow (i.e. even if the holes were big enough the tops of my ears would still touch the padding over the drivers.

As a counter-example, even though they don't have "hi-fidelity" sound, my Bose QC15s go completely around my ears and have a deep cup.  I need a closed can so I can listen in the family room without disturbing my family.  I'll be driving them from a Fii0 E7 for the most part.  Budget is $200 or under.

Oct 10, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #7,973 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys.  I purchased my first set of cans in over a decade recently and after the initial shine wore off I find myself not listening to them too much... not because they don't sound good but because they're not terribly comfortable.  I bought the AKG K271 Mkii and I find the cups to be both too small (they still sit either on top of the top or bottom of my ear) and too shallow (i.e. even if the holes were big enough the tops of my ears would still touch the padding over the drivers.

As a counter-example, even though they don't have "hi-fidelity" sound, my Bose QC15s go completely around my ears and have a deep cup.  I need a closed can so I can listen in the family room without disturbing my family.  I'll be driving them from a Fii0 E7 for the most part.  Budget is $200 or under.

Hmm, deep cups... 
Phiaton PS 500
Beyer DT770
Denon D2000

Oct 10, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #7,974 of 29,490
www.gd-audiobase.com or www.bugdenaudio.com for Fischer headphones as far as I know. I've bought Eternas off of bugden before, but I don't believe they have the 003's in stock right now
EDIT: looks like gd-audiobase is out of stock too as of now =/
Quote:
Speaking of the Fischers, where can I purchase one? I'm thinking the FA-003's would be a nice upgrade after my SRH940's...or a Thunderpants headphone, although those are a lot more expensive. If I recall correctly, the FA-003's run for around $200.

Fischer Audio's website used to be running a few months ago, but when I did a quick search, their website is down. :/

Oct 10, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #7,975 of 29,490
Hey all, coming to get some quick advice. 

I'm looking to spend anywhere from $30 to ~$100 on a set of portable closed cans. When I say portable though, I mainly mean ones that aren't obnoxiously large so I could wear them around my campus without fear of knocking them around. I've been deciding between the Koss Pro DJ100's, the Panasonic RP-HTF600's that everyone seems to be raving about lately, or the Sony MDR-V6's. I enjoy modding headphones, so if any could be modded to increase SQ, I'm fine with that. Isolation is also a big key, since I will mainly be using them in a library.

My main musical tastes are Electonica (Balam Acab, Bloody Beetroots, Gold Panda), Progressive Rock (Toad the Wet Sprocket, Thrice, Fair to Midland), and other various things. I've also found I like the sound of Grados and the Beyerdynamic DT990's, but might want something a tad bit warmer so longer study/writing sessions are less fatiguing. 

Thanks!

Oct 10, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #7,976 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey all, coming to get some quick advice. 

I'm looking to spend anywhere from $30 to ~$100 on a set of portable closed cans. When I say portable though, I mainly mean ones that aren't obnoxiously large so I could wear them around my campus without fear of knocking them around. I've been deciding between the Koss Pro DJ100's, the Panasonic RP-HTF600's that everyone seems to be raving about lately, or the Sony MDR-V6's. I enjoy modding headphones, so if any could be modded to increase SQ, I'm fine with that. Isolation is also a big key, since I will mainly be using them in a library.

My main musical tastes are Electonica (Balam Acab, Bloody Beetroots, Gold Panda), Progressive Rock (Toad the Wet Sprocket, Thrice, Fair to Midland), and other various things. I've also found I like the sound of Grados and the Beyerdynamic DT990's, but might want something a tad bit warmer so longer study/writing sessions are less fatiguing. 

Thanks!

Sub $100, the Senn HD280 is very hard to beat for isolation. Basic mods for any headphone would be to mass load the baffle (basically the plate the driver is attached to) and acoustically damp the chamber and inner surfaces.

Oct 10, 2011 at 7:06 AM Post #7,977 of 29,490
Hey,

Looking to buy a new pair of headphones in the £100-£200 price range. If the diminishing returns in quality is extreme past £150 I wouldn't want something for £200, but I really don't know whether that's the case.
I don't have an amplifier and my sound card is terrible (X-Fi Xtreme Gamer I bought half a millenia ago), so preferably wouldn't want to pay a lot of extra £ if I lose 50% of the potential due to that. No idea if that's relevant at all but yeah.

Anyhow, I don't care much about leakage and I don't want them isolated. I do want them to be able to work with anything though, I listen to everything from metal to classical to dubstep and I'll use them for movies and gaming as well. Guess I'm looking for some jack-of-all-trades, so to speak. I looked at the AD700's but the bass is supposedly quite weak, which I know would annoy me. Had a quick glance at the AKG-K702's as well, which seemed all right but any phones in that price range has unanimous reviews proclaiming X to be the "best headphones I ever used". Amazon is a fantastic source!

In short
-£100-£200 budget
-Use for music, movies, games
-Don't have an amp, have a X-Fi Xtreme Gamer sound card

Any suggestions?

Oct 10, 2011 at 7:21 AM Post #7,978 of 29,490

Quote:
HI guys

I'm more or less decided on getting myself a pair of Denon D7000 because of the supposed amazing sound quality (especially bass) and it's awesome for closed earphones, which is important to prevent me from being thrown out of libraries. I was thinking, should i get a Fiio E11 to pair with my ipod touch 3G? I suppose a good portable amp would be a good buy. However i was wondering if i should get a dac or use an e7 instead. For desktop amps, i was thinking of waiting and getting a little dot mk v after some saving up.

Any advice?
Thanks!

Ahhh, i see. Thanks a lot for the advice. I was thinking of the D7000 because i already have a Shure SE535 that is almost perfect for travel usage. The only problem is that they become quite uncomfortable with prolonged use. The D7000 are mostly for home movie, music and gaming use, and i was thinking of perhaps bringing it to the library. At least now i know that they aren't practical for that. Could you all please advice if i should get this can or a HD650 + Something more rugged or if i were to stick with the D7000, what amp/dac should i use?

Thank you!!

Oct 10, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #7,980 of 29,490
i have AD700. have just bought asuck xonar u3. which is just on 16bit/48khz. and i see that is not better than my onboard Realtek ALC269. is soundcard with 24bit/96khz better than 16bit/48khz ? because i'm going to buy another usb soundcard. can you guy suggest for me? under 100$. And does it worth the money. or i better save money to upgrade headphone ? .
thanks very much. ( sorry my poor En)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back