++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 7, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #7,906 of 29,490
Sorry, I didn't see this thread, so I created another topic instead. I guess I'll just copy-paste from my other thread:
I've been reading you guys for a lot of time, this is my first post, and I hope it's not the last. :3

I'm looking for some new cans, since I will sell my HD668b to a friend. What do you guys recommend me to get? 

- I mainly listen to metal (In Flames, Sonata Arctica, Metallica, Symphony X... etc) and rock (Red Hot Chili Peppers, Deep Purple...), but I also listen to some rap. 
 - My primary concern is high sound quality, I don't care at all about portability. I also need a long straight cable if possible (3m). 
 - I don't mind if they're closed or open. They must be circumaural
 - I'll be playing FLAC through my computer (X-Fi Bravura + LT1028ACN8, looking forward to get a pair of AD797BRZ). 
 - I'm considering the possibility of getting an amplifier if it's completely necessary. But I think my Bravura already has one?
 - Budget: ~200€ / ~$270 USD

Headphones I'm looking at:

1) Audio-Technica M50s- 119€
2) Shure SRH840 - 140€
3) Grado SR225i - 199

Thanks for reading,

Oct 7, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #7,907 of 29,490

Maybe check out the Klipsch Image One as well, it has all of those remote features you speak of and are very portable - comfortable too IF you like on ear.  I wouldn't call them robust, but they are far from flimsy.

If you want a portable built like tanks, you can check out the Senn PX 360 (my impressions can be found below in my sig).  I personally didn't prefer their sound presentation, but that doesn't mean I didn't respect it for what it was.  It had a really lively sound with a lot of punch (no midrange bleeding) and was super easy to drive.  Isolation was nuts as well.
Quote:
Hi, I've been "lurking" for a while now, but this is my first post.

Apologies if my requirements have been covered elsewhere in this thread. I have searched and read too many posts on here and managed to get myself thoroughly confused as to what to buy.

Music Source: I need headphones that do NOT require an amp, I'll be using my iPhone, PC, Mac, HTPC and lastly these will be plugged into my Yamaha Clavinova.
Use: At home & travelling.
Music Genre: Rock, indie-rock, pop, classical, jazz, blues, R&B. Allsorts really.
Comfort: Absolutely, the more comfort the better.
Portable: Yes, would be good.
Looks: As long as they sound good, I don't care what they look like. 
Robust: Yes, ideally one with a separate cable, but not an issue if it is not.

Price Range: Up to $350 (I'm in the UK, but can buy easily in the US)

I'd like something that has good sound isolation, I'm steering clear of noise cancelling - as I don't fancy carrying around AAA batteries everywhere I go. the only ones I've seen referred to repeatedly here for this sort of enquiry are the Audio-Technica M50 (referred to here http://www.head-fi.org/a/buying-guide-headphones-by-price-range). If it also came with the cable with the remote stuff for the iPhone, then that would be very handy.

Any advice / help gratefully received.

cheers
Aaron

Oct 7, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #7,908 of 29,490

Thanks again Armaegis for replying to the headphone question I had on the last page.

Quote:
Hi, I've been "lurking" for a while now, but this is my first post.

Apologies if my requirements have been covered elsewhere in this thread. I have searched and read too many posts on here and managed to get myself thoroughly confused as to what to buy.

Music Source: I need headphones that do NOT require an amp, I'll be using my iPhone, PC, Mac, HTPC and lastly these will be plugged into my Yamaha Clavinova.
Use: At home & travelling.
Music Genre: Rock, indie-rock, pop, classical, jazz, blues, R&B. Allsorts really.
Comfort: Absolutely, the more comfort the better.
Portable: Yes, would be good.
Looks: As long as they sound good, I don't care what they look like. 
Robust: Yes, ideally one with a separate cable, but not an issue if it is not.

Price Range: Up to $350 (I'm in the UK, but can buy easily in the US)

I'd like something that has good sound isolation, I'm steering clear of noise cancelling - as I don't fancy carrying around AAA batteries everywhere I go. the only ones I've seen referred to repeatedly here for this sort of enquiry are the Audio-Technica M50 (referred to here http://www.head-fi.org/a/buying-guide-headphones-by-price-range). If it also came with the cable with the remote stuff for the iPhone, then that would be very handy.

Any advice / help gratefully received.

cheers
Aaron

Quote:
Shure 840/940: comfort is a tossup works well for some and totally not for others, 840 sound is bass tilted and rich, 940 sound reportedly more neutral or even midhigh tilted

I would recommend the SRH940's as well. For me, they are really comfortable to wear. However, they are a bit heavy and sometimes I have "hat hair" after wearing them for a while.

They are also fairly portable as a full-sized headphone, having removable cables, replaceable ear pads, and are able to fold up.

They tend to have an emphasis on the upper-mids/highs so they work well for classical, indie-rock, R&B, and some jazz and pop. Some of the brass sounds in jazz can be fatiguing and the mid-bass response for the 940's might not be enough for some kinds of pop, but I find them to be good enough for my preferences (while traveling on a bus, I can't really hear the bass unless I turn up the volume).

They isolate decently for a closed headphone. They don't isolate as well as in-ear monitors or leather/pleather headphones, but they do a good job at isolating ambient noise.

They look decent, not too cheap, not too expensive. They are mostly made of plastic, but the outer ear cups and brand logo are all metal, so it gives it a nice look in my opinion.

If you want more information, I wrote a review for them and can be found in my signature.

Oct 7, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #7,909 of 29,490

Thanks for the replies.  I think my best bet is to find a place to try a few of these sets on.  Portability is important, since I'd want to take them out to the library.  After seeing the Shure 440's, I definitely need smaller headphones, perhaps Senn 25-1 would also work if I can find  them somewhere to try. 
Quote:
If you like the Senn sound and want around the ear full sized headphones, check out the HD428 or HD448.  I have extensive experience with the HD448.  The feelings are a bit mixed around here on head-fi, but the reviews you'll find won't be complaining about sound.

They have a very different fit than Shures - the HD448 have very low clamping force and a padded headband that is very light feeling.  I personally love the HD448 for a sub 100 dollar headphone.  You can check out my impressions by clicking on my link in my signature.

If you have any specific questions I can answer them

Quote:
If you dispose of portability, the Audio Technica AD700 are a great set for those genres.

I would say the 440 or possibly the 940 for rock.

Oct 7, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #7,910 of 29,490
Trying to buy headphones. First time headphone user. Looking for a:
  • Circumaural headphones
  • Comfortable pads; Bonus if they don't get sweaty after an hour or so
  • Under about $100
  • Balanced in all music genres. Examples of most listened artists: Pre Minutes to Midnight Linkin Park, Airborne Toxic Event, John Legend, Ne-Yo, Foo Fighters, Adele, Pendulum, and Kanye West
  • Be used for computer listening only

Oct 7, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #7,911 of 29,490
  • Circumaural headphones
  • Under about $100
  • Balanced in all music genres. Examples of most listened artists: Pre Minutes to Midnight Linkin Park, Airborne Toxic Event, John Legend, Ne-Yo, Foo Fighters, Adele, Pendulum, and Kanye West

XB 500 or 700. They have a bass hump but with a little EQ they're great all rounders, too. Either one is in budget and both are quite comfortable and VERY easy to power.

Oct 7, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #7,913 of 29,490
Been looking around for a long time, but I still can't settle on anything.
I'm still looking for an upgrade to my M50s -- what all serves as a decent all-rounder?
I've been looking at the Denon AHD2000s, but I'm wondering if there's anything else out there that will do the trick.
I'm looking for a closed headphone with a decent soundstage (compared to other closed pairs) and alright isolation.
Will the AHD2000s work?

Oct 7, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #7,914 of 29,490
Quote:
  • Circumaural headphones
  • Under about $100

Koss Pro DJ100 + M50 pads for $70

Creative Aurvana Live! for $60

Oct 8, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #7,915 of 29,490

Quote:
  • Circumaural headphones
  • Under about $100

Sennheiser HD555, check the sale forums there's a few available. 

Quote:
Been looking around for a long time, but I still can't settle on anything.
I'm still looking for an upgrade to my M50s -- what all serves as a decent all-rounder?
I've been looking at the Denon AHD2000s, but I'm wondering if there's anything else out there that will do the trick.
I'm looking for a closed headphone with a decent soundstage (compared to other closed pairs) and alright isolation.
Will the AHD2000s work?

The D2000 has lousy isolation, but the soundstage is good and is very comfortable. Within the price range you could also consider an Ultrasone HFi780, Phiaton PS 500, Senn HD380.

Oct 8, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #7,916 of 29,490
Thanks for you response, I would like to ask though, will I miss some of the soundstage going with the 650s ?

Quote:
HD 650.

More laid back but with all the good qualities of the 598. I personally like the 598 more, but I can understand where you're coming from. You get more bass with the 650 as well. 

EDIT: Check it.

Oct 8, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #7,918 of 29,490
Buying headphones for my mom - she's hooked after hearing her favorite music run through my newly purchased DT 990
beyersmile.png

Is there anything out there that's sub $100, lightweight, has a focus on vocals, and can be easily driven by a laptop? Thanks!

Oct 8, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #7,920 of 29,490
Koss ProDJ100

Most people recommend an amp with them, but they sound fine without one. They're marketed as a DJ headphone but are mid focused and do vocals (IMO) the best in their price range.

Quote:
Buying headphones for my mom - she's hooked after hearing her favorite music run through my newly purchased DT 990
beyersmile.png

Is there anything out there that's sub $100, lightweight, has a focus on vocals, and can be easily driven by a laptop? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back