++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 28, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #6,736 of 29,490

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD595-Performance-Premiere-Headphones/dp/B0001FTVE0/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1314571348&sr=1-10

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-ANC7B-Noise-Cancelling-Closed-Back-Headphones/dp/B002HWJT1A/ref=pd_sim_e_1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042A8CW2/sr=8-2/qid=1314571032/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1314571032&sr=8-2&seller=

Which has the best quality? I'm not too concerned about bass.

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to being an audiophile, so if you could put it into a 1. 2. 3. (1 being best, 3 being worst) format, it'd really help :)

I listen to mostly rap, hip hop, alternative, and some rock. My budget is $250, so if you know of any headphones that are better than the ones listed (and within the price range), tell me!

(I wrote a whole new thread before I saw this one, sorry!)

Aug 28, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #6,738 of 29,490
Hi everyone, first post on the forums, hope that's alright.

Anyway, after acquiring a sum of money, and deciding that I didn't really need anything else, I decided to buy a pair of headphones to listen to music. What I'm looking for should have an audio jack for iPods and such, and preferably be closed so that others don't complain about the volume levels that I sometimes reach with my ear buds. It will be primarily for electronic music, and I'm looking for something with great bass as I have quite a few Dubstep, and DnB songs.

My price limit is $100.

Aug 28, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #6,739 of 29,490
Ponies are always welcome. 

Also, ouch on that price point. Most of my Electronic recommendations start at $200. Although at that price point you have a chance to try out the Sony XB series. The XB 700 usually comes in around $80, and the XB 500 comes in around $50.

If you listen to primarily Electronic music you should definitely give them a shot. The bass is amazing and with a little EQ they're great. Super comfy and easy to drive, too. Although they're a little weak in the isolation department (not too bad, but not great).

If you want something a little more balanced try the Sony MDR V6, or the Senn. HD 280. Both would have better isolation and still sound good. 280 has some of the best isolation in the business though they may be a little tight for you depending on head size. 

EDIT: If you can find a used M50 for that price point(ish) buy that sucker up. You'd love them, too.

Quote:

Anyway, after acquiring a sum of money, and deciding that I didn't really need anything else, I decided to buy a pair of headphones to listen to music. What I'm looking for should have an audio jack for iPods and such, and preferably be closed so that others don't complain about the volume levels that I sometimes reach with my ear buds. It will be primarily for electronic music, and I'm looking for something with great bass as I have quite a few Dubstep, and DnB songs.

My price limit is $100.

Aug 28, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #6,740 of 29,490

Quote:

My price limit is $100.

Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 80-Ohm, you might be able to find a refurb or used pair on eBay.

Aug 28, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #6,742 of 29,490

Quote:
Any recommended sites/methods for finding those headphones? I'm not familiar with online shopping, I usually just buy things from local stores.

Get an account on eBay, then on eBay look up the seller "bd-usa", which is Beyerdynamic-USAs ebay page, make bd-usa a "favorite seller", sign up for their eBay newsletter,
then get a Paypal account.
You have to watch the site, every once in a while, they put a batch of refurb headphones on their ebay page.

Aug 29, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #6,743 of 29,490

Quote:

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD595-Performance-Premiere-Headphones/dp/B0001FTVE0/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1314571348&sr=1-10

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-ANC7B-Noise-Cancelling-Closed-Back-Headphones/dp/B002HWJT1A/ref=pd_sim_e_1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042A8CW2/sr=8-2/qid=1314571032/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1314571032&sr=8-2&seller=

Which has the best quality? I'm not too concerned about bass.

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to being an audiophile, so if you could put it into a 1. 2. 3. (1 being best, 3 being worst) format, it'd really help :)

I listen to mostly rap, hip hop, alternative, and some rock. My budget is $250, so if you know of any headphones that are better than the ones listed (and within the price range), tell me!

(I wrote a whole new thread before I saw this one, sorry!)

1: HD598 - but not really worth the price premium over the 595 unless you get a good sale
2: HD595
3: ANC7b - do you even need the noise cancellation? your other two options are open

Do you need noise isolation at all? what about portablity?

Quote:
My faithful pair of Denon AHD1001K's that I loved died on me a few days ago and I've been looking for something to replace them. I'm looking to spend around $100-$125 at the most but less is always great. I listen to mostly metal and play games a good deal (but don't want a "gaming" pair of headphones per se). The only real caveat I have is that they must be closed. Recommendations? 

Creative Aurvana Live
Shure 440
Sony V6/7506

Quote:
the ad 700 is probs good enough fro me i think ill go and trythem and if i like them then ill prbs get them btw is the creative aurana live good?

Yes, but they are very different from the AD700 being a closed and bassier headphone (vs the open and airy AD700).

Quote:

My price limit is $100.

The Sony XB series are popular for bass. Also look up the Pioneer HDJ-500, or just a smidge above your budget the Shure 750 and M-Audio Q40

Quote:
Any recommended sites/methods for finding those headphones? I'm not familiar with online shopping, I usually just buy things from local stores.

The Sony XB headphones should be available in any big retail electronics store. The Pioneers/Shure/M-Audio should be available in a music store. Shop online for prices, then get your local stores to price match.

Aug 29, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #6,744 of 29,490
not getting replies to my thread, so i will just paste it here:

How Should I Get My Alessandro MS1is?

i currently live in Perth so my choices are either:
A. Order them from the Alessandro website for $109 plus free shipping (that's USD so will actually be less in AUD)
B. Order them from Headphonic (http://headphones.com.au) for AUD139; this option will arrive soon, plus there's less risk of damage in transit

Just weighing up the options at the moment; obviously, saving $30 would be nice. Is there anything else i should know (e.g. warranty).
Input would be greatly appreciated

thanks 
normal_smile .gif

Aug 29, 2011 at 5:24 AM Post #6,746 of 29,490

Quote:
not getting replies to my thread, so i will just paste it here:

How Should I Get My Alessandro MS1is?

i currently live in Perth so my choices are either:
A. Order them from the Alessandro website for $109 plus free shipping (that's USD so will actually be less in AUD)
B. Order them from Headphonic (http://headphones.com.au) for AUD139; this option will arrive soon, plus there's less risk of damage in transit

Just weighing up the options at the moment; obviously, saving $30 would be nice. Is there anything else i should know (e.g. warranty).
Input would be greatly appreciated

thanks 
normal_smile .gif

FWIW I ordered my MS1i's from the website.  Took just under 2 weeks for delivery to NZ (bottom of the South Island).  Was surprised too - handled really well right throughout the journey.  Box arrived in pretty much pristine condition.

Pretty sure Headphonic will cover any warranty issues themselves - would pay you to ring and check first (or better e-mail, so you have it in writing).  The drawback for me is if anything does go wrong, I probably have to send mine back to Alessandro/Grado (US).  You may only have to send yours to Headphonic (like I say - check with them).  If that's the case, personally I'd pay the extra $30 for quicker ship time + local support.

Aug 29, 2011 at 5:59 AM Post #6,747 of 29,490

Quote:
Delivery to Australia cost could go from anywhere starting at $15 to $40. I'd go and get them from Headphonics. Not sure about the warranty though. 

shipping is free in both cases

Quote:
FWIW I ordered my MS1i's from the website.  Took just under 2 weeks for delivery to NZ (bottom of the South Island).  Was surprised too - handled really well right throughout the journey.  Box arrived in pretty much pristine condition.

Pretty sure Headphonic will cover any warranty issues themselves - would pay you to ring and check first (or better e-mail, so you have it in writing).  The drawback for me is if anything does go wrong, I probably have to send mine back to Alessandro/Grado (US).  You may only have to send yours to Headphonic (like I say - check with them).  If that's the case, personally I'd pay the extra $30 for quicker ship time + local support.

ooh, good idea. i'll shoot them an email now, although is assume that if there is a problem with them, they will have to get them fixed by the supplier (unless they themselves have the skills and equipment necessary for repair)

Aug 29, 2011 at 6:21 AM Post #6,748 of 29,490
I have to thank you guys for recommending me the Superlux 668B, they outperform my Senn IE8 (which is amazing, as they cost me 170€ 2 years ago, while the Superlux's cost 27) in clarity, which is what I was searching for. They don't lack bass at all as I've read, at least not for me (I'd say they are bassy, but hey, I'm the Sennheiser kind of guy :p ). While they are not Beats by Dre, they have good, crystal clear bass (can't say the same about the not-bassier-just-worse-sounding 681's, which lack a lot of bass clarity, and is not punchier as some people say).

I'd actually recomend the Superlux 668B to anyone (and I bet they are the best quality headphones on the sub 100€/$ area). They are 27€, so, if you don't like them, just give them to a friend or girlfriend or whatever. They will most probably be better than the headphones people usually use. But, you might love them, really. Overall, it's an amazingly good performer, and real bang for the buck. Music under 320kbps does sound horribly bad, itunes quality music doesn't sound that good either so ALAC or FLAC libraries are welcome (when buying 27€ headphones, you don't really think you'll notice the bitrate that much, but as I said, this are really good performers).

So while the one who recommended it to me had kind of an arguement with SennheiserHD, I must say I really appreciate the suggestion, as it saved me a lot of money, and best of all, I got really good heaphones (they clearly outperform my Senn RS180 too).

BTW, AKG pads are a MUST. The fake-leather original ones are really uncomfortable, don't adapt well to the head and leak sound, thus making the headphones sound worse than they should.

Last thing to say, they don't sound that loud with the iPhone, so I wouldn't really say they really are iPod/iPhone friendly (they sound well, it's just that they aren't really loud, as I know a lot of people who like to play music at ear-hurting levels). And they do leak a lot of sound when playing music loud (as I normally do when I really do want to LISTEN to the music, not just playing it as a background while doing other stuff).

Hope this short review helps for people looking for this kind of low-budget headphones. I'm posting it here to thank the ones who helped me, to help others and also, because some of the things I've read about the Superlux's aren't really true.

Aug 29, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #6,749 of 29,490
I have for many years had headphones for under $50 in different versions (in ear, on ear, over ear) and have never been really happy with what I've received. Now I have given me hell trying to find the perfect headphones for me and has also saved money to buy me some new and decent headphones. 

I want advice from you that can sound to someone who may not know so much about it, but I know what I want: 

Not wireless 
Closed (over ear) 
Preferably not battery powered, but can of course be considered 
Wide frequency range 
Well soundproofed, I do not want to hear people around me 
As little noise as possible 
Clean sound 
If I listen to flac-files the headphones should manage to play the sounds correctly (maybe the same as the frequency response?) 

I'm very much for the bass and less for the treble. I would like to see that there is a big push in the headphones. 
eg I would like to listen to this song (see below) and still have a strong base to balance well with the treble of the song. 
(On spotify) http://open.spotify.com/track/6HZgdHIHUUr80EX7PTqxxA 
(On youtube) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JhRmiQRXkg 

The Headphones will be used primarily for listening to music in FLAC format (sometimes even 320kbps mp3 files if you can not get over FLAC or CDs) and also in games such as Counter-Strike and other games where the hearing is very important in game. 

The headphones do not need to be aesthetically pleasing, the only important thing is the quality of the sound. 

If there is anything you wonder about my criteria, feel free to ask. 
I can not all concepts in the audio world and I'm not familiar with it at all, so I may have written many weird things without knowing about it. 

My price range: $300 - $400.

Regards from Sweden.

Aug 29, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #6,750 of 29,490
I am torn between the SM3 vs the UM3X. I listen to a lot of hip-hop, classical, electronica/techno, rock, dubstep and jazz. They both are top rated IEMs and have a replaceable cord but I am still up in the air in which one to get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back