++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 3, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #26,866 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks for the additional things to check out. The Sonys are definitely going to require more research. Any thoughts on the ATHESW9A for my needs?

They have good quality sound and are built well enough for use in an office environment.  Their mids arr just a bit recessed.  They aren't as comfortable for most, as are the full sized cans on your list. 

Apr 3, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #26,868 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
You should definitely be satisfied with the HD598s, but just in case, here are other recommendations:

MDR MA900
AKG Q701 + Fiio E11
DT880/DT990 250Ohm
Ath AD900x
Fidelio L1/X1

Ahh damn it! No I have read a little about the Fidelio X1's, I am in even more of a pickle!

I was pretty set on Beyer 880's or maybe 990's or maybe Sennheiser HD6xx's.

Now there's an added pair into the mix!

Anyone any comments on this shortlist if I gave you these keywords of importance:

COMFY / PUNCHY & WEIGHTY / SCALE & SOUNDTAGE / GOOD VOCALS

No issues with Open-Backed and not worried about portability...

???

None of these will give you all of those things--and comfort is a very individual thing.  The best two can for what you want (or at least as I understand it) are the DT 880 and HD 650.

Apr 3, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #26,869 of 29,490
Based upon your checklist of at home/office use and portability, minimalist look, and your genre preferences i have to make the Grado SR325i for $295 the top recommendation. It doesn't need an amp, it look a little sophisticated but not cheesy. This Grado model will perform excellent than most other cans in your price range for what you listen to.
Quote:
Hello all. Trying to avoid starting a new thread, but I want as much input as feasible.

I am looking for headphones to be used primarily at home or in the office. Looking largely in the 200-300 dollar range, but could be persuaded to move a bit upward. No amp/dac yet, I'll make that decision after the headphone purchase. Will plan to use with MBP, iMac, and iPhone 4s.

Thus far, I've focused on the HD 598s, B&W P5s, and AKG K 550s. From these you can probably tell style is at least a bit important to me, but not for the traditional reasons. Rather, I need something that won't look too aggressive/out of place in my office (attorney). So although a lot of people like the looks of them, the DNAs, Beats, etc. would be out for the same reason. If all things were equal I'd already have the P5s, if that tells you what I'm looking for in appearance. I'm not going to client meetings with them, but I don't want them look bizarre sitting on my desk.

I listen to largely Americana, folk, classic rock, classical, blues and jazz. Very little rap or hard rock. Some country but it tends toward the folksy/Texas variety. Would love to have the portable option, but more for the minimalist look many carry rather than my need to listen to them on the go. Isolation isn't important to me, my office and home are quiet.

Experience thus far is largely with IEMs. My go to are Triple Fis. Part of my question is if I went with a more portable, like the P5s, is the upgrade from the UEs going to be there? I have listened to a lot of popular models of headphones, so obviously I know the Sennheisers will provide the immersion in sound I'm looking for, but will the P5s nonetheless be an improvement? What other suggestions may fit my need for "business casual" headphones that still impress?

Thanks for your help, excited to be here.

Apr 3, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #26,870 of 29,490
Quote:
Grado SR 325is--at least of the ones I like.  That is to say that they are the brightest.

gotcha 
gs1000.gif

Apr 3, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #26,871 of 29,490
So, I currently have the V-MODA Crossfade LPs. I've killed about 11 hours on them already. I still don't like the way they sound. They have punchy bass, but the mids and highs are kind of drowned out. What I'm asking is if I should return these and get a new pair of cans (such as the ATH-M50's maybe...?) or burn them in more.

I listen to Dubstep and Trap. I want a punchy, feel-y, and vibrant bass. I want the mids and the treble to be great also. I want a comfortable listening session that lasts 3-4 hours, both on the earpads and the headband. So overall, I want a pair of headphones that are balanced with Dubstep, Trap, and Electronica (in general) but have more emphasis on the bass and a little more emphasis on the treble. I do want the mids to be balanced, also.

If I am getting new headphones, I have two in mind. The Audio-Technica ATH-M50's or the M-Audio Q40's. Other suggestions would be just as much appreciated.

Apr 3, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #26,872 of 29,490
Hey guys, I have been searching this forum for a few days for advice. So I hope I am not beating a dead horse here.
I own and operate a heavy equipment business, and am looking for headphones to wear while working in the equipment. Obviously, ANC is desired, however I was looking into a Bluetooth headset with corded option. (I am not an audiophile) so I can also answer calls without reaching for my phone.
I was looking at the Parrot zik, but I read that when the batteries die, so does the music. I was looking at the Sennheiser mm550-x, but I guess the volume doesn't get as loud as some may hope. Finally I was looking into the UE 9000. My devices are iMac,iPhone 4, 4s, ipad 2, galaxy s3. Anyone who can help me choose the best set for my needs, i would appreciate it.
can't find a retailer in Edmonton, AB that sells anything other then the Bose qc15, which are awesome for ANC and Beats (brutal, cheap and way to "cool" for me) any other recommendations not listed, would be appreciated.
I watch a lot of tv, movies, listen to everything ( Sinatra, hip hop, pop, rock, lots of stand up comedy, Sirius radio app)
Would a portable amp/dac be useful?
Options on Bluetooth not being necessary are welcome.

Apr 3, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #26,873 of 29,490
Quote:
They have good quality sound and are built well enough for use in an office environment.  Their mids arr just a bit recessed.  They aren't as comfortable for most, as are the full sized cans on your list. 

Mids are recessed? I've thought they had forward upper mids. At least that's what I've experienced.

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #26,874 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

Mids are recessed? I've thought they had forward upper mids. At least that's what I've experienced.

There are many cans with mids recessed far more.  However, I find that things like vocals and guitars are pulled back just a bit.

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #26,875 of 29,490
So, I currently have the V-MODA Crossfade LPs. I've killed about 11 hours on them already. I still don't like the way they sound. They have punchy bass, but the mids and highs are kind of drowned out. What I'm asking is if I should return these and get a new pair of cans (such as the ATH-M50's maybe...?) or burn them in more.

I listen to Dubstep and Trap. I want a punchy, feel-y, and vibrant bass. I want the mids and the treble to be great also. I want a comfortable listening session that lasts 3-4 hours, both on the earpads and the headband. So overall, I want a pair of headphones that are balanced with Dubstep, Trap, and Electronica (in general) but have more emphasis on the bass and a little more emphasis on the treble. I do want the mids to be balanced, also.

If I am getting new headphones, I have two in mind. The Audio-Technica ATH-M50's or the M-Audio Q40's. Other suggestions would be just as much appreciated.

Bumping my asking.

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #26,877 of 29,490
Hey guys, I have been searching this forum for a few days for advice. So I hope I am not beating a dead horse here.
I own and operate a heavy equipment business, and am looking for headphones to wear while working in the equipment. Obviously, ANC is desired, however I was looking into a Bluetooth headset with corded option. (I am not an audiophile) so I can also answer calls without reaching for my phone.
I was looking at the Parrot zik, but I read that when the batteries die, so does the music. I was looking at the Sennheiser mm550-x, but I guess the volume doesn't get as loud as some may hope. Finally I was looking into the UE 9000. My devices are iMac,iPhone 4, 4s, ipad 2, galaxy s3. Anyone who can help me choose the best set for my needs, i would appreciate it.
can't find a retailer in Edmonton, AB that sells anything other then the Bose qc15, which are awesome for ANC and Beats (brutal, cheap and way to "cool" for me) any other recommendations not listed, would be appreciated.
I watch a lot of tv, movies, listen to everything ( Sinatra, hip hop, pop, rock, lots of stand up comedy, Sirius radio app)
Would a portable amp/dac be useful?
Options on Bluetooth not being necessary are welcome.

Anyone? Bump

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #26,878 of 29,490
I myself am looking for something similar to Heitek.(same taste of music as well)
I previously owned a HD25-1-ii but i didnt like the fit.

Just in case, what im looking for is:
- Over ear cans
- Good sound isolation/minimum leakage
- something that has a similar sound to the HD25-1-ii(V-shaped?)
- can pay upto 300-400$
- Will mainly use them on the go(during transportation on train)
- What im currently considering
    Ultrasone HFI-580
    ATH-M50
    UE6000/9000
- My setup(portable)
   iPod Touch 5g /w Sony PHA-1 headphone amp/dac

As i said earlier, i didnt like the fit of the HD25's but loved the sound and isolation.

Apr 4, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #26,880 of 29,490
Quote:
I myself am looking for something similar to Heitek.(same taste of music as well)
I previously owned a HD25-1-ii but i didnt like the fit.

Just in case, what im looking for is:
- Over ear cans
- Good sound isolation/minimum leakage
- something that has a similar sound to the HD25-1-ii(V-shaped?)
- can pay upto 300-400$
- Will mainly use them on the go(during transportation on train)
- What im currently considering
    Ultrasone HFI-580
    ATH-M50
    UE6000/9000
- My setup(portable)
   iPod Touch 5g /w Sony PHA-1 headphone amp/dac

As i said earlier, i didnt like the fit of the HD25's but loved the sound and isolation.

I hear the HD 25-1 II as very close to neutral.

The UE cans seem to like by many, but I have not yet heard them.  The first can listed is a basshead can.  The M50 has recessed mids.

I suggest that you look into the Shure SRH 940 (less bass, more detail) and Ultrasone Pro 750 (more bass & slam).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back