++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 22, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #22,426 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys,

Looking to purchase my first set of decent quality over-ear headphones, would greatly appreciate some input from people.  I want to use them at Uni now that I'm starting my doctoral studies I'll be doing a lot of lengthy computer time in my office and travelling for research/conferences - so comfort is definitely a deciding factor.

Music: I listen to quite a mix.  But the cans would be used mostly for dance (David Guetta, Calvin Harris, Avicii styles), rock (more main stream style rock like KOL, The Black Keys) and pop/alternative (Coldplay, The Naked and Famous, Vampire Weekend).

Games: Don't play so not required.

Amped/Unamped: unamped from either my iPhone/iPod or computer. (I don't own an amp but may consider it in a few years)

File Encoding: MP3 128 - 320kbps

Price Range: up to $350

Closed/Open: Closed - the less sound leakage the better (I share an office)

Past Headphones: Currently using a pair of on-ear Bose headphones I inherited a few years back.  They sound is reasonable, bass is probably as much as I would like, but the mids tend to get lost.

Currently Looking At: Not really looking at anything seriously as of yet.

I do like the V-Moda M-100 - but wonder if they may have a little too much bass? I do like their portability, but heard that after a while they can become uncomfortable (ears touching the drivers and what not)

And I do have to wear glasses here n there (not all the time) so it'd be great to hear from anyone else who has to aswell.

Cheers Guys :)

If you can find the Denon D2000 these would be my recommendation as they are very comfortable and have a slight "V" shape which is nice for EDM, but it is still balanced enough to work as an all around type of headphone. It is also quite easy to drive from an iPod or computer

Dec 22, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #22,427 of 29,490
Quote:
A little background before I really get into the standardized info. I generally listen to my music on the go, and by that I mean in public places (e.g library, park, commuting, walking, etc). I've never owned a set of over ear headphones, but I just listened to my uncle's Sennheiser HD 598 which had me drooling. I loved how they sounded especially the 3D feel (I guess you guys call it soundstage-did some research :p) but I'm a little worried about their portability. I generally listen to my music out of my iPod and know you need to attach the 3.5mm jack converter to play the Sennheiser 598 with an iPhone making it really bulky (or so it seems). If anyone uses them with their iPhone I'd really appreciate a PM telling me how that's going.

Music Genres: I seriously listen to all sortsa stuff. Rock (love old stuff like Led Zep and VU but also listen to newer indie and substantial amount of progressive rock), Flamenco/Jazz Fusion (Paco de Lucia, Rodrigo y Gabriela), Electronic (ALL types: The Avalanches, Aphex, Kavinsky, Skrillex) and some Rap-mostly ATCQ and POTS which   
Games: N/A 
Amped/Unamped: Not sure - but I do listen to my music on the go usually so take bulk into consideration. Wouldn't want to be spending tooooo much on these. Def. want over ear phones
File encoding: MP3 but I try and download all of my music in the 256kps - 320kps.
Price Range: Up to $300USD
Closed/Open: Rather them be open-only because I've read that they're better for soundstage.
Past headphones: Currently have the Klipsch S4 but definitely don't want another pair of In Ears
Currently Looking At:
Sennheiser HD 598

Did you try the Sennheiser HD 598 with electronic music ? and did they have enough bass to satisfy you ? if your answer is yes then go for them (as they compliment your others genres too)
but you said you want it for portable use and to listen in public places... the hd 598 is not for that (its for home use), its an open headphone so your music will leak(people will hear what you are listening and hence disturb them) .... try looking at the audio technica ATH-A900X or the AKG K550

[size=medium]  [/size]

Dec 22, 2012 at 4:56 AM Post #22,428 of 29,490
So I've been wanting a nice pair of headphones for a while now. I avoided getting beats for a while and I'm glad I did after seeing all the reviews and all the other types of headphones. However, now I can't decide which ones to get because I want the best ones for the amount of money I'm willing to spend.Also I am new to the site so I may not understand all the terminology. I've been reading reviews for about three days now and can't decide. 

So I'll start with what I mainly listen to:
- country, alternative, some pop (mainstream), some hip hop on occasion, classical/instrumental 

What I would like:
- good clear crisp sound
- good solid bass, not overbearing but not nonexistent 
- comfortable: want to be able to wear for multiple hours
- no amp required: want to be able to just plug into my computer or ipod or phone and have good quality
- my budget is around $300 
- close back
- portable: i dont need or want massive cans on my head
- good all around headphone for improved listening in all genres and bass when needed

Headphones I've been looking into: 
- Sennheiser HD 598
- ATH-M50s
- Sony MDR-R1
- V-moda m100
- V-moda LP2
- Ultrasone HFi 780 or 580 (cant decide)
- possibly a Beyerdynamic model 
- Sennheiser Momentum or Amperior
- open for suggestions 

As of now I'm leaning towards the m100s, the mdr-r1, and ATH-M50s
I am also wondering if the m100 headphones are good for country music even though they seem bass heavy. 
Thanks for the help- I really need it and please leave feedback on headphones listed or suggested so I can narrow my search 

Dec 22, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #22,431 of 29,490
Quote:
Does anyone know the burn in time on the dt770 pro?

Depends on the alignment of certain stars in the night sky, some say 5 years, some say 1 hour, I think its exactly 122 hours, 11 minutes and 6 seconds. Then they start sounding excellent, before that they suck. In other word, there's no burn in effects audible as far as headphones go, use them, let your brain get to know them, let the earpads conform to your head.

Dec 22, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #22,432 of 29,490

I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD590s driven by the 'phones socket on my Yamaha receiver. I've promised myself a Little Dot Mark III for early next year. The cans recently needed repairing and I'm considering retiring them and upgrading when I get the amp unless they suddenly sound hugely different.

I like a warm, bass-heavy sound. I love my little Porta Pros but they obviously aren't surefooted or detailed enough for serious home listening. The Sennheisers are OK: supremely comfortable and decent soundstage but they lack bottom end and sometimes get a bit shrill at the top. I'm looking for something with some heavy, controlled bass that will play well with the Little Dot.

Music: All sorts. Not much classical but a lot of rock, alt. country, indie, hard rock, soul.

Amped/Unamped: getting a Little Dot Mk III soon, currently running from receiver.

File Encoding: Vinyl, 24/96 vinyl rips or FLAC

Price Range: up to $400, preferably less

Closed/Open: Either. Home use only. Must be comfortable and preferably not too hot. 

Past Headphones: HD580, HD590, Koss Porta Pro

Currently Looking At: Nothing decided yet. I'm very limited with auditioning choices due to my location so may have to buy 'unheard' which is why I'm starting my research early...

Dec 22, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #22,433 of 29,490
I'm posting this here cause it seems like the best place, even though it's not only about full-size headphones.
I'm having a bit of trouble deciding what my next upgrade should be, I'm currently using AKG 272's as my main headphones, with an iPod touch (EQu player and apple lossless files mostly) as source and a PA2V2 amp, and I do enjoy the sound that setup produces, and the high comfort-level.

What I want is headphones dedicated to home listening, I've been looking at AKG k701, Sennheiser HD598/HD600, Audio Technica ATH-AD700, Grado SR225i and some open-back ones.
I haven't listened a lot to other headphones than my 272's so I don't have much to compare with, I'm by no means a bass-head, but I like the bass to be present when called for, and the mids to be slightly forward, especially in songs with vocals, but I like treble as well, for example the high-pitched violin in some of Andrew Birds songs.
What I like the most is a "big" sound, I'm not very familiar with audiophile terms but I think it's described as a large soundstage, correct me if I'm wrong.
Low fatigue is also a high priority.

My problem now is that I don't know what i should upgrade first, would getting a pair of higher-end open back headphones be rewarding without a better source and amp?

Music: Most kinds, I enjoy music like Andrew Birds alot, but I also listen to regular rock, like Pixies, Thom Yorke and Jeff Buckley, I like Gorillaz a lot, and they've turned me to HipHop aswell, like PUTS and Hieroglyphics, I can enjoy some electronic music as well, but not "bad" dubstep (Wobwobwob) I've also recently started to listen to classic, especially Joe Hisaishi.

Amped/Unamped: Pa2v2, will upgrade to a stationary amp eventually

File Encoding: Apple Lossless ripped from CD's, and some 320kb mp3 downloads from Bandcamp.

Price Range: About 2000 SEK on headphones alone, which is about 300 USD, but prices are so different here so throw me some suggestions

Closed/Open: Open

Past Headphones: AKG 272 (current), Koss DJ100pro (portable), Meelec MP6 and some different trash cans.

Currently Looking At: AKG k701, Sennheiser HD598/HD600, Audio Technica ATH-AD700, Grado SR225i

I'm in no hurry, I'm not unhappy with my current setup.

/Ted

Dec 22, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #22,434 of 29,490
Quote:
So I've been wanting a nice pair of headphones for a while now. I avoided getting beats for a while and I'm glad I did after seeing all the reviews and all the other types of headphones. However, now I can't decide which ones to get because I want the best ones for the amount of money I'm willing to spend.Also I am new to the site so I may not understand all the terminology. I've been reading reviews for about three days now and can't decide. 

So I'll start with what I mainly listen to:
- country, alternative, some pop (mainstream), some hip hop on occasion, classical/instrumental 

What I would like:
- good clear crisp sound
- good solid bass, not overbearing but not nonexistent 
- comfortable: want to be able to wear for multiple hours
- no amp required: want to be able to just plug into my computer or ipod or phone and have good quality
- my budget is around $300 
- close back
- portable: i dont need or want massive cans on my head
- good all around headphone for improved listening in all genres and bass when needed

Headphones I've been looking into: 
- Sennheiser HD 598
- ATH-M50s
- Sony MDR-R1
- V-moda m100
- V-moda LP2
- Ultrasone HFi 780 or 580 (cant decide)
- possibly a Beyerdynamic model 
- Sennheiser Momentum or Amperior
- open for suggestions 

As of now I'm leaning towards the m100s, the mdr-r1, and ATH-M50s
I am also wondering if the m100 headphones are good for country music even though they seem bass heavy. 
Thanks for the help- I really need it and please leave feedback on headphones listed or suggested so I can narrow my search 

Haven't heard the Sony yet, but both of  the other cans on your "A" list are colored--especially in favor of bass.  That does not work well with country, classical and instrumental (as well as other genres/types of music).

I recommend the Senn HD 598 (for an open can) or Amperior (for a closed and portable can).

Dec 22, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #22,435 of 29,490
Quote:

I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD590s driven by the 'phones socket on my Yamaha receiver. I've promised myself a Little Dot Mark III for early next year. The cans recently needed repairing and I'm considering retiring them and upgrading when I get the amp unless they suddenly sound hugely different.

I like a warm, bass-heavy sound. I love my little Porta Pros but they obviously aren't surefooted or detailed enough for serious home listening. The Sennheisers are OK: supremely comfortable and decent soundstage but they lack bottom end and sometimes get a bit shrill at the top. I'm looking for something with some heavy, controlled bass that will play well with the Little Dot.

Music: All sorts. Not much classical but a lot of rock, alt. country, indie, hard rock, soul.

Amped/Unamped: getting a Little Dot Mk III soon, currently running from receiver.

File Encoding: Vinyl, 24/96 vinyl rips or FLAC

Price Range: up to $400, preferably less

Closed/Open: Either. Home use only. Must be comfortable and preferably not too hot. 

Past Headphones: HD580, HD590, Koss Porta Pro

Currently Looking At: Nothing decided yet. I'm very limited with auditioning choices due to my location so may have to buy 'unheard' which is why I'm starting my research early...

The bigger Senns are not known for piercing treble, so you must be a bit more sensitive to it than most.  Normally I would recommend the Beyer DT 880 in your situation, but it will will probably be too bright for you.  That leads us to the Senn HD 600 or 650.  If you find Grados to be comfortable (many do not), the Alessandro MS-2 might work for you as well.

Dec 22, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #22,436 of 29,490
Quote:
The bigger Senns are not known for piercing treble, so you must be a bit more sensitive to it than most.  Normally I would recommend the Beyer DT 880 in your situation, but it will will probably be too bright for you.  That leads us to the Senn HD 600 or 650.  If you find Grados to be comfortable (many do not), the Alessandro MS-2 might work for you as well.

I think the 590s might be atypical in that regard. I certainly didn't experience any shrillness with my older, far superior IMO, HD580s that sadly met a premature end due to an accident while hosting a party. I wouldn't have chosen the 590s to be honest but they were a gift and have been adequate.

The Beyers seem to be worthy of further investigation. How does their bottom end stack up against the Senns? 

Dec 22, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #22,437 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

I think the 590s might be atypical in that regard. I certainly didn't experience any shrillness with my older, far superior IMO, HD580s that sadly met a premature end due to an accident while hosting a party. I wouldn't have chosen the 590s to be honest but they were a gift and have been adequate.

The Beyers seem to be worthy of further investigation. How does their bottom end stack up against the Senns? 

The Beyers don't have the mid bass hump of the 650, but have a bit more bass than the HD 600.

Dec 22, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #22,438 of 29,490
The quality most important to me in headphones, is the way they make the human voice sound.
In other words, the best headphones for me are the ones that make the human voice most engaging. Sorry, I know it is subjective, however it's the best definition I can come up with.

I have the AKG 701, Grado 325i and Senheiser HD-650. The AKG for me is out of this league (currently collecting dust.)  Between The 325i and the HD-650, I find the Senheiser to have a better bass and detail, however I find the Grados to produce much more engaging vocals.

To the point: From all of the following: Audez LCD-2 & 3, Senheiser HD-800, Grados PS1000 and GS and the HE 6 & 500; which (at least the ones you know) do you folks find to excel in that category?

Or for that matter, other cans.

Dec 22, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #22,439 of 29,490
AKG Q701's vs ATH-M50's

I love my ATH-M50s but it's time to replace them. I'm wondering if the Quincy's at twice the price are an actual upgrade. I need them for a monitoring / reference headphone so I'm not looking for experiential quality (sparkle, or bass-rich sounds) so much as neutrality (flat signal, balanced sound stage).

Will the Quincy's deliver an upgrade at twice the price?

Dec 22, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #22,440 of 29,490
Quote:
The quality most important to me in headphones, is the way they make the human voice sound.
In other words, the best headphones for me are the ones that make the human voice most engaging. Sorry, I know it is subjective, however it's the best definition I can come up with.

I have the AKG 701, Grado 325i and Senheiser HD-650. The AKG for me is out of this league (currently collecting dust.)  Between The 325i and the HD-650, I find the Senheiser to have a better bass and detail, however I find the Grados to produce much more engaging vocals.

To the point: From all of the following: Audez LCD-2 & 3, Senheiser HD-800, Grados PS1000 and GS and the HE 6 & 500; which (at least the ones you know) do you folks find to excel in that category?

Or for that matter, other cans.

Honestly, when I spend the money for a flagship can, I find it best to go try them at a store so you can get the one that appealed the most to you and not wonder if you could be listening to something better. With that in mind I wouldn't buy a $1000 can based of purely opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back