++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 15, 2012 at 4:10 AM Post #20,191 of 29,490
Quote:
I've read on this site that a lot of people raved about the so called MrSpeakers Mad Dog. Is this a good headphone for my tastes? :) 

I think they probably are. From my understanding they are pretty balanced and neutral. I use a modded T50rp which likely has similar characteristics to the Mad Dog since they both started out as regular T50rps. You could try to pm MrSpeakers and tell him what you are seeking to see if he thinks they would suit you. There is also the Paradox by LFF which is another mod on the T50rp, though I think they might cost a bit more. Alternatively, you could pick up a T50rp yourself and try your hand at modding them 
wink_face.gif

Oct 15, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #20,192 of 29,490
I'm looking to buy over-ear headphones in the 200-300 dollar range although I'm considering upping my max to 650 if there is a must-buy headset for me in that range.

I'm looking for natural, rich sound that is also clear.  I want a good, powerful bass but not one that is too loud to me, even though I listen to a lot of bassy music.

I listen to my headphones downstairs in a dining room connected to a living room where my family sometimes watches T.V.  People gather in the dining room and talk as well.  I like to walk outside and listen to music too.

I listen to mostly 256kbps AACs and 300kbps MPEGs, but I want more lossless files, especially since I will be investing in some nice headphones and eventually speakers.

I listen to most of my music from a new iMac, and the rest from an iPod, which I will update some day to a BIG iPod for lossless files.

Whether I buy an amp or not is an open question.  I love good sound so I am willing to consider it, but I think I might prefer something that is made more for listening to music straight from a sound card or iPod.  I want to get into more high fidelity audio files, but I have all 256-300kbps music now, so I don't know if an amp would be worth it.  I'd like to keep the option open, though.  If amps are complicated to set up and require constant or complex adjustment depending on what I'm listening to, I'm less likely to buy one.  But I'm still interested.  I don't know what my music collection will look like in the future, and I plan on starting to download everything lossless, so I don't want to spend this kind of money to realize I bought headphones that aren't fit for what I'm getting into.

I have a truly eclectic mix of music, but right now I listen to mostly Hip-Hop.  However, I listen to other things regularly, including rock and blues and artists from MGMT to Dave Matthews to Miles Davis.  Increasingly, I like electronic and Crystal Castles.

I am an open book so all suggestions are wanted.  I would also like to know what you guys think of Harman Kardans.

Thank you!

Oct 15, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #20,193 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm looking to buy over-ear headphones in the 200-300 dollar range although I'm considering upping my max to 650 if there is a must-buy headset for me in that range.

I'm looking for natural, rich sound that is also clear.  I want a good, powerful bass but not one that is too loud to me, even though I listen to a lot of bassy music.

I listen to my headphones downstairs in a dining room connected to a living room where my family sometimes watches T.V.  People gather in the dining room and talk as well.  I like to walk outside and listen to music too.

I listen to mostly 256kbps AACs and 300kbps MPEGs, but I want more lossless files, especially since I will be investing in some nice headphones and eventually speakers.

I have a truly eclectic mix of music, but right now I listen to mostly Hip-Hop.  However, I listen to other things regularly, including rock and blues and artists from MGMT to Dave Matthews to Miles Davis.  Increasingly, I like electronic and Crystal Castles.

I am an open book so all suggestions are wanted.  I would also like to know what you guys think of Harman Kardans.

Thank you!

Mrspeakers mad dogs.
http://www.mrspeakers.com/MrSpeakers-Mad-Dog-Fostex-T50RP-Headphones

Oct 15, 2012 at 5:26 AM Post #20,195 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm currently look to buy a new set of headphones, having owned a Sennheiser 555 and an ATH-M50. Since I'm a sucker for new cans, I'm seriously conflicted between the M100's and Sony's MDR-1R, although I haven't seen a review of the later yet. But, I'm also open to other tried and favorited headphones. My budget is $400, a huge step from when I started out three years ago.

I am a more laid-back listener. I listen to a variety of music: rock (alternative, progressive, ex. Coldplay & Muse), contemporary, piano, symphony orchestras, ballad rap & hip-hop. Occasionally I play the more active rap, hip-hop & pop. 

I absolutely love watching movies, especially with the Senn 555.

I play games, but I don't care about how they sound. (Most games haven't immersed me so far).

Please help!

I'd go old school with the Beyer DT 880, with a second choice of the Senn HD 650.

Of course you'll need an amp for either one.

Oct 15, 2012 at 5:50 AM Post #20,196 of 29,490
this is my first post on this forum and guys i need your help. i am considering to buy ie 60 can any of you tell how is it and i havent used any expensive iems till date and only other iem i haved is s5i. earlier i was considering ie 80 but then i thought buying high end iems directly i wont be able to appreciate its quality and would i have wasted 450 $. can anybody please tell is it worth 250 $.

Oct 15, 2012 at 5:59 AM Post #20,197 of 29,490
OK so I would like a "audiophile" system for around $600.

Will be used for FLACs from Foobar 2000 and Spotify.

Currently have ATH-M50 and Fiio E7 which I will keep for my portable rig with my iPod Classic 160GB.

Music tastes ranges from Rock, Pop, RnB, Jazz, Electro, Acoustic, Rap and everything in between. 

Things I am looking for are soundstage, "dynamics" ( I want to hear everything on the recording) and longevity (don't want to upgrade this for a few years) 

Looking at so far:

AKG Q701 - $226.66
JDS Labs Objective2 Headphone Amplifier - $144
JDS Labs Standalone ODAC - $149
FiiO L2 3.5mm Interconnect Cable - $9.95
Woo Audio HPS-H Aluminum Headphone Stand - $50

Total = $579.61

Any thoughts / feedback would be greatly appreciated

Oct 15, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #20,198 of 29,490
I'm a bit lost, lets see if anyone can find something else for me try :)

I started out with the HD650, had them for many years but I found them to be too light, not enough bass and maybe a bit to clinical for my tastes.
By recommendation here on head-fi I then went for the Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohms, they're a bit more to my tastes, but I still find them to be a bit boring (can't really describe them any other way).
At work I'm using the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250ohms with a Headamp Pico and they're fun to listen with for the kind of music I tend to listen to at work, but just a bit muffled for some of my other music tastes.

So I guess I want something "bass heavy" as the DT 770 Pro but with more clarity. I've started to think that maybe the semi-openness of the DT990 and HD650 isn't really for me either. It has to be around ear though.

I mainly listen to pop, punk, female vocals (tori amos, norah jones, heather nova etc) with the occasional hip hop and classical track here and there.

I will be using the NuForce Icon HDP as an amp, don't really want to replace that unless it necessary.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Oct 15, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #20,199 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm a bit lost, lets see if anyone can find something else for me try
smily_headphones1.gif

I started out with the HD650, had them for many years but I found them to be too light, not enough bass and maybe a bit to clinical for my tastes.
By recommendation here on head-fi I then went for the Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohms, they're a bit more to my tastes, but I still find them to be a bit boring (can't really describe them any other way).
At work I'm using the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250ohms with a Headamp Pico and they're fun to listen with for the kind of music I tend to listen to at work, but just a bit muffled for some of my other music tastes.
So I guess I want something "bass heavy" as the DT 770 Pro but with more clarity. I've started to think that maybe the semi-openness of the DT990 and HD650 isn't really for me either. It has to be around ear though.
I mainly listen to pop, punk, female vocals (tori amos, norah jones, heather nova etc) with the occasional hip hop and classical track here and there.
I will be using the NuForce Icon HDP as an amp, don't really want to replace that unless it necessary.
Any suggestions would be most welcome.

You might want to checkout the planar magnetics like the $399 Hifiman HE-400. None of the planars are necessarily bass heavy I don't think but they have better quality and better extended bass than pretty much any dynamic headphone. If you can find a way to try them out to see if you like them that would be ideal. Or Amazon has a 30-day return policy.

Other than that, you can look into some of the other bass heavy headphones to see if any of them would satisfy you, such as the Denon D2000/D5000/D7000 and Ultrasone Pro 900 or possibly one of the other Ultrasones. There are also several new cans you might want to checkout like the Sennheiser Momentum, Logitech UE6000 and soon to be released V-Moda M100.

Oct 15, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #20,200 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking for something comfortable for use in my office.  It's private, so the cans don't have to be closed, but I'm thinking I want the deep bass because I listen to a lot of industrial/ebm/techno/synth. 

As of right now, I'm considering the DT-770 80 ohm, AKG k272, V-moda M-80, and, after reading some reviews last night, I've added the DT-880 to the pool as well.  I'd like to keep the purchase in the $150-$200 range.  The v-moda m100 sound appealing as well, but I don't want to wait, and it looks like they're going to be priced out of my range. 

Right now, I'm alternating between using Audio Technica M-35 and and Miles Davis Tribute IEMs at the office, I like the MDT, but since I'm stationary for so much of the day, I'd like the comfort and sound of some mid-range cans.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: should also mention that I have an e5 amp, and a Creative X-fi Platinum (w/front panel).  Not really looking to amp beyond that, at least in the short-term.

Just bumping my question from a few pages back.  Thanks.

Oct 15, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #20,201 of 29,490
Hello, this damn headphone addiction its driving me insane. I got the hd800 and the t1 that I listen mostly to with my MF m1 hpa amp and m1 dac. I've heard/read so much abot the audeze lcd2's (mostly good). Will these really do me any good, having in mind that I already own the hd800 and the t1?

Oct 15, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #20,202 of 29,490
Hi, I asked for advice earlier in this thread and thought I had landed on the Creative Aurvana Live, but I'm suddenly not as sure anymore.
So it's either the Creative Aurvana Live or Sony MDR XB-500/700.. I do like bass, but I don't want it to 'kill' everything else.
I will be using them pretty much everywhere but home.

I listen to mostly EDM.
Like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80_tv-_OPT4&feature=g-user-u
       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00vVP_TrU2M

But also more relaxed/chilled electronic music.
Like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKzH6pRfzoU
       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZnpikoHNWw
       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtJDJAR6Yxs&feature=context-gch

So Creative Aurvana Live or Sony MDR-XB 500/700?

Oct 15, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #20,203 of 29,490
Quote:
What do ya'll think about the DT990's? There's a new site offering the best price ive seen. 

Here's the deal so you can take "bang for buck" into account. You've gotta make an account to see the site but it's pretty cool other than that. 

http://massdrop.com/beyerdynamic-dt990-headphones

I think that's the 990 Premium which has less bass than the pro... so I'm not sure  I want a V shaped Can that is trying to be balanced xD

Although I do want teh dt 990 Pro since it has more clamp force [which makes the bass more prodominant]

Oct 15, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #20,204 of 29,490
Quote:
So it's either the Creative Aurvana Live or Sony MDR XB-500/700.. I do like bass, but I don't want it to 'kill' everything else.

I own the Xb 700 it doesn't KILL everything elese, it just recesses it all and the Xb 500 kinda does kill stuff

BUT the XB cans are for when BASS is the most important thing you want to hear xD END OF DISCUSSION,

That being said I like XB 700 for Dub Step, the highs are 100% there but ofc it's only the bass that I want to hear, and XB is really for SUB bass. I'm looking at the Dt 990s for a non Dub Step mid bass can actually

So if you want STR8 BASS IN YOUR FACE, XB. But if you want to savor the bass WITH other frq's then proably the non XB can lol

Oct 15, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #20,205 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi, I asked for advice earlier in this thread and thought I had landed on the Creative Aurvana Live, but I'm suddenly not as sure anymore.
I will be using them pretty much everywhere but home.

I listen to mostly EDM.
Like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80_tv-_OPT4&feature=g-user-u
       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00vVP_TrU2M

But also more relaxed/chilled electronic music.
Like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKzH6pRfzoU
       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZnpikoHNWw
       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtJDJAR6Yxs&feature=context-gch

So Creative Aurvana Live or Sony MDR-XB 500/700?

Nice music you linked to.
I have the xb700. They are nice and the bass won't kill everything else but I've read that the xb500 is even more bassier

Users who are viewing this thread

Back