++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 30, 2012 at 4:33 AM Post #18,556 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi everyone. I am looking for new cans that follow these parameters:

-My budget is $300 USD.
-I currently have a Nuforce uDac.
-I listen to trace, psyambient/psy, ambient, and dabble around with most electronic music not including house or dubstep.
-I am coming from a a pair of Ultrasone Pro 2500s and have grown tired of the sound signature they have to offer
-I like the open back design but am willing to used closed backs

I've been looking at the He-300s and the FA-011s.
With this in mind what would be a good recommendation?

Cheers.

What type of sound signature are you looking for then? Ultrasone is generally known to compliment your music tastes well, but if you are tired of their sound, maybe you want something more balanced?

Aug 30, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #18,557 of 29,490
Quote:
Thx for the quick feedback. So is it unfair to actually compare the hd598 with the A900X? Since 1 is open and the other closed. But I have seen some people mentioned that the AKG 550 being a closed headphone has almost the same sound stage as the hd598. Is that the case also for the a900x?

Unless you need to block noise, usually open headphones are preferred.
As I've never used the AKG K550, I can only go by what I hear second hand, compared to the A900Xs.
Usually for A900X verses K550, the K550 seem to come out ahead more often.

Aug 30, 2012 at 4:38 AM Post #18,558 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi everyone. I am looking for new cans that follow these parameters:

-My budget is $300 USD.
-I currently have a Nuforce uDac.
-I listen to trace, psyambient/psy, ambient, and dabble around with most electronic music not including house or dubstep.
-I am coming from a a pair of Ultrasone Pro 2500s and have grown tired of the sound signature they have to offer
-I like the open back design but am willing to used closed backs

I've been looking at the He-300s and the FA-011s.
With this in mind what would be a good recommendation?

Cheers.

High quality speakers/headphones are about accurately reproducing a recorded sound. Thing is most of that stuff has been so heavily digitally altered (if it was ever recorded at all) that there is nothing left to reproduce so listening to that stuff with cheap 50 dollar headphones isn't going to be much different than 500 dollar ones. (Well except voices and stuff) Although there is a significant difference between closed/open cans.

Aug 30, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #18,559 of 29,490
Quote:
What type of sound signature are you looking for then? Ultrasone is generally known to compliment your music tastes well, but if you are tired of their sound, maybe you want something more balanced?

I'm looking for something with a little more presence. I feel the Ultrasone's I currently have are just lacking in anything special and only offer a nice broad sound stage.

Aug 30, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #18,560 of 29,490
Quote:
Check the gaming headphones link in the opening post of this thread.

I checked it before posting. The majority of the headphones that were reviewed simply do not fit into my budget and/or are open air, while I need closed back. *EDIT* Unless they are open air that simply do not leak an excessive amount of sound*

The remaining headphones are rather poorly reviewed in that thread.

Aug 30, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #18,561 of 29,490
Greeting to all

I was comparing two headphones frequency response graph and other tech-specifications : Koss KSC75 and Sennheiser HD 238 and discovered that they have nearly same sound signature, So I think that spending 50 $ is worthless for Senn when I can have Koss for 10$? (please see attached image)

Do you agree or disagree ?

Yes bass on Senn is better but I don't care, otherwise they are approximately same. Even more - Harmonic Distortion of a 500Hz Sine Wave Input is better on Koss. (reviews shows that bass on Koss is pretty enough)

If you have any information regarding or relating this issue please comment

And one more please... anyone knows anything about Panasonic RP-HTF600-S? have anyone seen Fr. resp. graph of Audio-technica ATH M30?

ALSO IF YOU KNOW ANY BETTER HEADPHONE AMONG 50-55 $ PRICE RANGE COMMENT PLS. (I prefer lower price
triportsad.gif
)

P.S. I am listening mainly classical music so I prefer neutral well defined sound with little fun :)

Aug 30, 2012 at 4:48 AM Post #18,562 of 29,490
Quote:
I checked it before posting. The majority of the headphones that were reviewed simply do not fit into my budget and/or are open air, while I need closed back.

If you can pick up the DT770 I think that would work well. It is closed, but with a nice big soundstage. It also has a lot of bass so you will definitely experience any explosions or rumble in your music/movies/games

Aug 30, 2012 at 4:48 AM Post #18,563 of 29,490
Quote:

High quality speakers/headphones are about accurately reproducing a recorded sound. Thing is most of that stuff has been so heavily digitally altered (if it was ever recorded at all) that there is nothing left to reproduce so listening to that stuff with cheap 50 dollar headphones isn't going to be much different than 500 dollar ones.

You're generalizing, this is highly inaccurate and I am sure others will agree with me.

Aug 30, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #18,564 of 29,490
Quote:
Greeting to all

I was comparing two headphones frequency response graph and other tech-specifications : Koss KSC75 and Sennheiser HD 238 and discovered that they have nearly same sound signature, So I think that spending 50 $ is worthless for Senn when I can have Koss for 10$? (please see attached image)

Do you agree or disagree ?

Yes bass on Senn is better but I don't care, otherwise they are approximately same. Even more - Harmonic Distortion of a 500Hz Sine Wave Input is better on Koss. (reviews shows that bass on Koss is pretty enough)

If you have any information regarding or relating this issue please comment

And one more please... anyone knows anything about Panasonic RP-HTF600-S? have anyone seen Fr. resp. graph of Audio-technica ATH M30?

ALSO IF YOU KNOW ANY BETTER HEADPHONE AMONG 50-55 $ PRICE RANGE COMMENT PLS. (I prefer lower price
triportsad.gif
)

P.S. I am listening mainly classical music so I prefer neutral well defined sound with little fun :)

Superlux 668b is excellent. The HTF-600 is also a great deal after purchasing velour pads and doing a couple tweaks. It however is a total basshead headphone.

Here is the freq response for the Superlux

Aug 30, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #18,565 of 29,490
Quote:
Unless you need to block noise, usually open headphones are preferred.
As I've never used the AKG K550, I can only go by what I hear second hand, compared to the A900Xs.
Usually for A900X verses K550, the K550 seem to come out ahead more often.

Yeah I usually won't like people to listen to my music, so isolation is a plus factor for me.

Hmm guess I need to go audition the k550 and a900x personally. There's a thread that actually complains about the upper mids of the k550s though. So I'm slightly leaning towards the a900x atm.

What do you think about the overall performance (especially bass and vocals) of the a900x though?

P.s. I mentioned about the hd598 cause I'm curious about how they sound and might change my mind with closed backs if there is actually a significant difference in sound quality.

Aug 30, 2012 at 4:53 AM Post #18,566 of 29,490
Quote:
You're generalizing, this is highly inaccurate and I am sure others will agree with me.

Agreed. While the details may be more subtle in electronic music than with recorded instruments, there is a large difference in quality between budget headphones and those in the mid-fi range. My D5000s sound a whole lot different than my Samson SR850 did, or my DT770 did.

Aug 30, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #18,567 of 29,490
Quote:
I checked it before posting. The majority of the headphones that were reviewed simply do not fit into my budget and/or are open air, while I need closed back. *EDIT* Unless they are open air that simply do not leak an excessive amount of sound*

You probably should have mentioned that.  The closed CAL! fits your budget is is highly rated by MLE in her gaming guide.

Aug 30, 2012 at 4:56 AM Post #18,568 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm looking for something with a little more presence. I feel the Ultrasone's I currently have are just lacking in anything special and only offer a nice broad sound stage.

What exactly do you mean by presence? Are you looking for more impact in the bass, more sparkle in the treble? I just want to understand what you are thinking so that I can hopefully help you out a bit.

Aug 30, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #18,570 of 29,490
Quote:

You're going to have to be more specific about exactly what you are looking for in a can and what sound signature you're seeking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back