++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 24, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #16,861 of 29,490
Quote:

For the record, I don't like the A900.  I find them to be soulless.  However, for the needs that were put forth, they are a better fit than the SRH 840 with its mid-bass hump and somewhat enemic highs.

As I mentioned earlier, a number of the Sony studio cans are also a good fit.

You have some good points and I respect your preferences.  I can live with slightly anemic highs on the 840s especially when they mate so well with lots of entry level stuff that tends to be a bit peaky in the upper end to begin with.  I guess I just liked what they didn't do to the mids, to each his own.

I would like to listen to the Sony's some day.  I really liked the sound of the EDIT:  Sony 5000??? Sony R-10 that Ray Samuels let me hear at a few shows, just way out of my price league.

Jul 24, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #16,862 of 29,490
Quote:
[size=small] i have had my 558s for awhile and only used them at home, i bought the dt770 to keep in my laptop bag for when i go to work and use them bc they were closed backs. my original plan was to keep them both but the dt770 are way to big to keep in my bag. i believe the dt770 extremely comfortable which is why i picked them in comparison to the senns, but since the dont fold flat. i have decided to keep one of the two at home. i can just return the dt770 but the 558s i would have to sell.[/size]

[size=small] i mostly listen to punk/pop rock, some hardcoreish, hip hop, and more than often dabble in the orchestral classical music.[/size]

[size=small] main pros of the 558s are sound stage and clarity but lacks the subwoofery bass i think i want.[/size]

[size=small] the dt770 have the bass that i like (a little muddy for rock) but the mids are a little supressed or blanketed by the bass. the classical music is not that bad (tested with holst - the planets)[/size]

[size=small] if you guys had to choose one which would it be, maybe something to keep in mind is i still in a need a of somewhat portable (folding style headphone not for commute) or if there is something that sounds and is as comfortable as the dt770 but the size the 558 or smaller would be great to get that folded flat. if it exsist a full size hd25-1 would be perfect not as much bass as the dt but has the speed for rock[/size]

[size=small] hd558 or dt770 pro 80 ohm, which is the better all arounder[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] all driven by e17 > MBP;iphones 4S[/size]

The more balanced 558 is clearly the better alrounder.

There are few headphones as comfortable as the DT 770 and none that I can think of which fold into themselves for portability.

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Jul 24, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #16,863 of 29,490
Quote:
You have some good points and I respect your preferences.  I can live with slightly anemic highs on the 840s especially when they mate so well with lots of entry level stuff that tends to be a bit peaky in the upper end to begin with.  I guess I just liked what they didn't do to the mids, to each his own.

I would like to listen to the Sony's some day.  I really liked the sound of the Sony 5000 that Ray Samuels let me hear at a few shows, just way out of my price league.

I very much like the 840, especially in the context of its price class.  Based on how they deliver music, I will take them over the A900 any day for general music enjoyment.

The Sony MDR-SA5000 is a fantastic open can.  It is very difficult to find new these days and you will be paying north of $400 to get one. However, it has a different sound signature from the Sony closed studio style cans.  These tend to be accurate and inoffensive.  Some might find them boring.  They are also very efficient and isolate well.  A very experienced sound engineer who is a friend of mine has, for many years, been a big fan of Sonys for his professional use.

Jul 24, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #16,864 of 29,490
Thanks to all that replied to my Grado 60i comfort request. I think I will give the Sennheiser 414 pads a shot first just because of the low cost. If I don't like them I'm not out much. The G-cush look nice but they cost nearly as much as I paid for the cans many years ago. If the Sennheiser 414 pads don't work out I'll probably give them a try though.

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #16,865 of 29,490
I'm selling my Klipsch Image S4s soon since I don't really like their sound now that I have Q701s. They sound really dark and everything blends together, so I was looking to find a new pair of IEMS or small, portable on-ear headphones. 

Isolation is important, regular IEM isolation is fine though, nothing too fancy here
Budget of 90$ or less. 
Clear, open-ish sound stage. Prominent highs and mids, bass extension, but not too much in quantity, I'm not a bass head at all.
I do have a Fiio E6 for portable use, so that should cover any minor amping if needed

I was considering some Hifiman RE0s, Etymotic MC5/HF5s if I could find the HFs cheap, or some sort of cheap BA IEM.

Really, something that would have a relatively flat signature, mainly focusing on mids and highs.

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #16,866 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm selling my Klipsch Image S4s soon since I don't really like their sound now that I have Q701s. They sound really dark and everything blends together, so I was looking to find a new pair of IEMS or small, portable on-ear headphones. 

Isolation is important, regular IEM isolation is fine though, nothing too fancy here
Budget of 90$ or less. 
Clear, open-ish sound stage. Prominent highs and mids, bass extension, but not too much in quantity, I'm not a bass head at all.
I do have a Fiio E6 for portable use, so that should cover any minor amping if needed

I was considering some Hifiman RE0s, Etymotic MC5/HF5s if I could find the HFs cheap, or some sort of cheap BA IEM.

Really, something that would have a relatively flat signature, mainly focusing on mids and highs.

ever considered bose in ears? 

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #16,867 of 29,490
Hi guys!
I'm looking for a pair of headphones for college - mainly will use in dorm or library, but not for walking etc.
Basically:
1. Closed headphones
2. Price range 100 - 150
3. clear mids and highs, good, adequate bass
4. Music taste: post rock - explosions in the sky, sigur ros
Indie/alternative rock - wye oak, joy formidable
Ambient electronica - mint julep
Chillwave, Electropop - letting up despite great faults, postal service
5. Source: MacBook air or iPod shuffle
6. Open to buying an amp, but hopefully I don't need one

Looking at sennheiser 439, for some reason didn't like m50s... Could be because it didn't burn in long enough?

Thx!

Jul 24, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #16,868 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys!
I'm looking for a pair of headphones for college - mainly will use in dorm or library, but not for walking etc.
Basically:
1. Closed headphones
2. Price range 100 - 150
Looking at sennheiser 439, for some reason didn't like m50s... Could be because it didn't burn in long enough?
Thx!

The HD439 is a great choice at the $100 price point. Its what I would choose at $100 and our tastes in music are very similar. I haven't listened to them myself but they seem like a great buy based on things I've heard around here and the fact that I've been very happy with every Sennheiser I've tried.

Great to see another Wye Oak fan. :D

Checkout astroid's review of the 439 here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/614516/sennheiser-hd439-review

Jul 25, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #16,869 of 29,490
Quote:
@evanchambers

Have you thought about iems for work and full sized for home?  Lots of decent iems that would sound great with your setup at work and then if you could spare the cash, splurge for something like the DT 880s for home.  Just a thought.

i have considered maybe getting a pair of se215 to replace the s4i i already have.
Quote:

The more balanced 558 is clearly the better alrounder.

There are few headphones as comfortable as the DT 770 and none that I can think of which fold into themselves for portability.

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

thanks for the info, i have an e17 to a mbp or iphone 4s all flac/alac or v0 (for the iphone)

i know that everyone says the hd25 are pretty comfortable but i had them for about a 2weeks and my ears bend causing them to hurt after an hour or 2, is there something w the same sound as the hd25 but in a around the ear can, obviously somewhat comfortable doesnt have to be as comfortable as the dt or hd558 maybe with velour pads

Jul 25, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #16,870 of 29,490
Quote:

Budget of 90$ or less. 

It appears that you are posting in the wrong place.  This is the full sized headphones section of the forum.

Jul 25, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #16,871 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys!
Basically:
1. Closed headphones
2. Price range 100 - 150
Thx!

KRK KNS 8400, Sony MDR 7510 or MDR V900HD.

Jul 25, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #16,872 of 29,490
Quote:
i have considered maybe getting a pair of se215 to replace the s4i i already have.

thanks for the info, i have an e17 to a mbp or iphone 4s all flac/alac or v0 (for the iphone)

i know that everyone says the hd25 are pretty comfortable but i had them for about a 2weeks and my ears bend causing them to hurt after an hour or 2, is there something w the same sound as the hd25 but in a around the ear can, obviously somewhat comfortable doesnt have to be as comfortable as the dt or hd558 maybe with velour pads

Maybe the Ultrasone Pro 700--if your e17 will push them enough to bring out their bass.

Jul 25, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #16,874 of 29,490
So, my budget's magically doubled, and my max limit is $100 (not a penny more).  With that said, I think again I've narrowed it down to two potential sets of headphones.

Creative Aurvana Live! vs Philips Citiscape Downtown

So, the criteria I'm looking for are: isolation (in terms of preventing leakage), good for 80s/90s music (must have a MEAN electric guitar), must be relatively portable, and should not overemphasize the bass EXCESSIVELY.  Good soundstage and instrumental separation would be a big plus.  Good looks would also be preferable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back