++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 14, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #16,471 of 29,490
Quote:
Tight budget request here. I'm tossing between buying a pair of Superlux HD668b with AKG K240 velour pads (total cost: £42) and a pair of Studiospares M1000 (Seemingly a rebranded FA-003/HM5. Total cost: £59). Which of these would you recommend, or are there any other UK based Head-fiers out there who know of something even better?

I use my headphones for pretty much everything. The main requirements that I have are that they must be fairly easy to run, fairly neutral, and suit a large variety of music (Ranging from Piano to Metal and pretty much everything in-between).

I have both.  Although it's close, I'd go with the Superlux for superior, if imperfect, sound quality over the HM5.

However, if isolation is important to you and you don't mind big cans, the HM5 will be your pick.

If sound stage is important, the Superlux wins.

Jul 14, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #16,472 of 29,490
Isolation and the size of the cans mean very little to me, pretty much all my time listening will be spent alone so neither really matter.

If the Superlux has better sound quality and a better soundstage, that sounds like my choice. The build quality seems okay, although I have a history of cracked headphone plastic (big head?), hopefully that isn't too much of a problem.

Jul 14, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #16,473 of 29,490
Quote:
The more I think about it the more I want an active noise cancellation.  Do you guys have any suggestions?

How are the Sennheiser PXC 450's?

Trust me, you probably don't need ANC. Just get a good pair of passive isolation cans and with the music on, and the noise around you will disappear. The cost for ANC is not really worth it. Plus, you will always need to think about batteries, adding to the cost.

Jul 14, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #16,474 of 29,490
Quote:
This is one of my first post on Head-Fi. Just before I start, I want to say I've always loved music and have always tried getting the best possible sound, and this is the first step of my venture into being an audiophile. Soon I'm going to be purchasing a fairly pair of cans, and some IEMs (posted over in the suggestion thread over there aswell.)

Price Range: I'm looking for Headphones at about $125. I would really rather not have it go near the upper end of the budget, but if the difference between a say $120 pair of IEMs and a $140 pair is really worth the difference, I'd be willing to go for it.

Music I Listen To: I listen to pretty much only Metal and it's sub-genres. Mainly Metalcore, Post-Hardcore, and Deathcore. (two song examples which kind of sum these up are Life Cycles - The Word Alive, or, Abigail - Motionless In White) I also venture into other forms of Rock such as Punk, Emo, Alternative, and others. I also listen to a good amount of "techcore" (I See Stars) and dubstep. When listening to metal, I really enjoy having a good bass presence, but nothing overwhelming. I'm assuming I'd want more of a bass present pair of cans (which is what I've looked into, If I'm wrong, please correct me). I'd like it to perform well in preferable anything I throw at it though.
Sources: I'd prefer them not to be amped, and be able to run off of my iPod or Smartphone (Droid 4). I'll be building a desktop soon with a dedicated sound card and amp (looking at the Asus STX), but would prefer it to not need an amp.
Features I'd Like: Preferably Closed, but Open wouldn't be the end of the world. Stylish (I like simplistic, I love the looks of [most] sennheiser products, but AKGs have a certain flare to them aswell). 
Headphones I've Looked At: Audiotechnica ADH-M50 ($120), Shure SRH840 ($149, but if I choose these, the IEM budget will suffer, I dont currently think the difference is worth it [based off of a few reviews], but if enough of you agree, maybe)
Retailer: Preferably Amazon, as that's where I'm planning on getting some of my other audio stuff, as well as other technology soon. 

Sennheiser HD 449

Jul 14, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #16,475 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello....I'm new at head-fi as I decided its time to end buying the cheap stuff that breaks way too often and offers no quality. And before I spend my cash, I'd like to ask for advice
smily_headphones1.gif

Price range Well, living n Poland makes the prices higher then in US, but converting my currency to euro I've like 100 euro
Music I listen to country, Irish folk, Leonard Cohen, shanties, The Who, Frank Sinatra. But, most. Of all, primary role of the headphones will be gaming.
Sound source Creative fatality recon3d - I know, it's not good for music, but great for gaming
smily_headphones1.gif
, also iPad
As for the headphones in my price range / availability I've looked at following
Creative Aurvana Live
ATH-M35
Beyerdynamics Dt-910
Sony MDR ZX 700

If you have a tip more cash , go for these 
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-558-Headphones/dp/B004FEEY9A
for less money 
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-518-Headphones-Black/dp/B0042A68R8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1342319972&sr=1-1&keywords=hd+518

Jul 14, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #16,478 of 29,490
Quote:
The more I think about it the more I want an active noise cancellation.  Do you guys have any suggestions?

How are the Sennheiser PXC 450's?

See post #64 here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/618255/check-out-the-head-fi-summer-2012-buying-guide/60#post_8532784

{edit added}

And see this:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparative-review-high-end-noise-canceling-headphones-page-3

Jul 15, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #16,480 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys, im looking for some IEMs. 

Price Range around 100$, preferably no more, but if its worth it I can manage more. 

Importance Scale:

Must fit flush to ear > isolation> build quality>music quality

I know this may seem reverse of so many of our natures here in head-fi, but Ill be using these occasionally when I go ride my motorcycle. Needs to be flush to the ear for comfort and so they dont get yanked out when I put on/take off my helmet. Isolation because of wind noise. 

Sound signature wise I love just about everything of my Denon ah5000. Listen to electronic often, and some rock/heavy rock. 

Any suggestions? 

Thanks, DD. 

Anyone else have input on this? 
Quote:
Shure SE215 ?
Edit- BTW, this is off topic here. There's a lot of info/reviews/advice in the portable/IEM forum.

I checked on the Multi IEM review by lljoker, and while it does provide every other aspect of the earbuds, it doesnt have flush fit as a criteria for judgement. 

For the 215s, ive heard they are quite decent/good IEMs, but have an issue with the detachable cable, where it connects can become faulty over time, did they ever fix that issue? 

Jul 15, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #16,481 of 29,490
Quote:

I have them myself, but I also have the D5000 & D7000 and started listening to music when 78's were still common.  So what I might do probably is not the best indicator of what is best for you to do.  I also get my pair not long ago for just over $200 shipped.

The D2000 have the best bass and sub-bass in their (former) price class.  Further I like them as a non-basshead.  I have never heard the Ultra 900 and have not had much interest in the Pro 900 because the reviews and discussion of it indicate (at least to me) that it, unlike the Pro 750, is a basshead can--and an expensive on at that.

The D2000 does not need an amp, but will benefit from one.  Unless I'm on the road I always amp.  In any case, the D2000 is not a good can for on the go.

Well first off the Pro 900's are amazing but yes, they are a total Basshead can but probably one of the few that can dish it out with out making everything else sound like trash. They are also very portable and are by far the single most comfortable headphone I have ever worn. I'm not exactly looking to replace them but I am looking to replace my Q40's and my HiFI 780's so once those are sold I want something else to take their places. Now do you think its possible to still get the D2000 for less than $299?? If so and if you don't mind please share where so I can pick them up. Hearing it from a current owner and fellow Denon Lover was the push I needed. I also wouldnt mind buying a used pair for a good price as long as they have been taken care of so if anyone has a used set of D2000 that they are looking to move please PM me. 

Thanks 

basshead.gif

Jul 15, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #16,482 of 29,490
Quote:

Well first off the Pro 900's are amazing but yes, they are a total Basshead can but probably one of the few that can dish it out with out making everything else sound like trash. They are also very portable and are by far the single most comfortable headphone I have ever worn. I'm not exactly looking to replace them but I am looking to replace my Q40's and my HiFI 780's so once those are sold I want something else to take their places. Now do you think its possible to still get the D2000 for less than $299?? If so and if you don't mind please share where so I can pick them up. Hearing it from a current owner and fellow Denon Lover was the push I needed. I also wouldnt mind buying a used pair for a good price as long as they have been taken care of so if anyone has a used set of D2000 that they are looking to move please PM me. 

Thanks 

basshead.gif

I have seen them at $299 and maybe a bit less in the last couple months or so.  As I type this an Amazon third party has listed one as "like new" for $248.  If that doesn't work for you, be sure to check the used ones that go on sale here and follow the Deals thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/505970/the-deals-thread/4500#post_8532531

Jul 15, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #16,483 of 29,490
Quote:

I have seen them at $299 and maybe a bit less in the last couple months or so.  As I type this an Amazon third party has listed one as "like new" for $248.  If that doesn't work for you, be sure to check the used ones that go on sale here and follow the Deals thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/505970/the-deals-thread/4500#post_8532531

Yah, I caught that too but I dont exactly trust the third party Amazon deals because I got burned by one earlier this year but maybe I should reconsider.

That brings me to the other thing I wanted to know is there a way to search the selling area and find specific Headphones for sale?? I haven't been able to figure it out on my own. 

Thanks again

Jul 15, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #16,484 of 29,490
Quote:

Yah, I caught that too but I dont exactly trust the third party Amazon deals because I got burned by one earlier this year but maybe I should reconsider.

That brings me to the other thing I wanted to know is there a way to search the selling area and find specific Headphones for sale?? I haven't been able to figure it out on my own. 

Thanks again

The "best" way to search that I have found to date is typing/pasting the name of the can into the general search section.  Hopefully someone can clue both of us to a better method.

GL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back