++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 13, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #16,426 of 29,490
I'm too old for FPSs. Quake III was the last one with a worthy multiplayer. 
tongue.gif

What do you suggest for headphones though? Why did you go with the STX? There's no headphones for more that provide a large improvement in overall experience?

Jul 14, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #16,428 of 29,490
Quote:
I don't normally compose replies like this, and would never create a new thread.  Sorry for the wall of text, BTW.
I'm searching for a new pair of closed headphones that I intend to use in my office environment.  Some of the common questions are answered below in bullet form.

Budget is 135 min to ~210 maX, USD.

I don't need a lot of isolation, but a decent lack of leakage is preferred to spare my cubical neighbors.

I want closed cans for the above reasons, but am receptive to semi-open cans that, for whatever reason, don't have severe leakage.

I am not a bass head.  I like extended and well textured bass, but bass that stamps on my vocals/mids makes me angry. 

I have a fiio e5 amp, and am saving up for an O2, so options that benefit from this setup are acceptable.

iPod (cringe) with LOD is my source.  Typical  file quality is 128 kbps - 256 kbps VBR MP3.  spare me the lecture, I lay awake at night cursing my younger, stupider self.

I cant use any source that has removable storage/flash nor a microphone.  No mics on the HP either (not really an issue with full size)

I prefer circum-aural fit, but supra-aural is acceptable.

Flatter signature is preferred to a V shape, but some euphonics are acceptable. 

I love detail.

I currently have Alessandro/grado MS1, and as my first hi-fi hp, i LOVE it. It does not perform electronica music extraordinarily well, but i actually like its rendition of hip hop.  

My musical preference is a wide band covering skilled musicians of all genres.  Poppy stuff i tend to dislike, as i enjoy a musicians TALENT as well as their sound.  Anything from acoustic to metal, from hiphop (i tend towards the more poetic vocal driven variety than the club thumping sort) to classical.  Not a lot of classical, but i LOVE the sound of a good cello. 

Comfort is pretty important, but as an apparent minority, i don't mind the Grados long term feel.

Some of my initial considerations:

Shure srh840 are in the lead, but i hear they suffer from fit issues.  This is likely a personal thing, and could as well fit me as not.

Beyerdynamic Dt770 80 - I worry about their reported V-Shape, yet goldenears[dot]net has them rated as pretty hi-fidelity (in the true sense of the word). 
Beyerdynamic Dt770 250 -These are the ones i was thinking of, i mixed them up in my head.  These, i hear are more balanced. 

AKG K271 MK II - I worry about their lack of bass.  it seems detailed enough and i like that, but i like bass, i just don't want too much of it.

KRK KNS8400 - Honestly don't know much about these other than i would guess they lay close to the shures.  

Brainwavz HM5  - HOLY UGLY HEADPHONE, BATMAN.  Looks are not that important, but damn, these ugly. 

Audio Technica ATH-A900 - I have gotten the impression that most the other i suggested are going to be better $/sound than these, but correct me if you think i'm wrong.

And here is where i hope for good suggestions :) If you have only ever tried on of these, please consider the fact that you may be making a recommendation in a vacuum, and that only by having at least auditioned a few of these can you possibly be able to compare.  I don't doubt that any of these would be a pleasure to own, but im interested in the relative value and enjoyment.  Also please recognize that i don't want to hear terms like "better"; please try to use descriptive language that can communicate to me the relative strengths and weaknesses.  and most importantly THANK YOU for taking time to consider this post!

P.S. I would consider a IEM suggestion as well, as insertion doesn't bother me.  I currently own the m11+ and quite like it, except a bit too much bass.  The thing is, i want the best sound for the money, and that's usually not found in an IEM. 

Edit: i have read countless posts regarding the topic of most o these hphones.  I have NOT read almost any of this thread in general ; it seems too much the effort to hope to find someone in my similar situation. 

The Shure & KRK provide the most balanced, accurate and neutral-ish sound without being soulless like the giant A900.

The Beyer is too big in the bass and small in the mids.

Haven't heard those AKG's.  If they are like other K 2xx models they are good but not in the same league with the Shure and KRK.  The slightly over your budget semi open Q 701 is a great can for the money and better (e.g. comfort, soundstage and details) than the Shure & KRK.

The Brainwavz is OK and relatively neutral.  It doesn't do anything especially well, except perhaps for isolation.

Also worth considering are the Sony MDR-7510 and Sony MDR-V900HD.  Both have a reasonably accurate, smooth and comfortable sound signture.  They are like the Brainwavz, but better in almost every way.

If you want something like the Grados with slam, check out the Ultrasone HiFi 780 or (better but open with not much leaking) HiFi 2400, as the Pro 750 is just outside your budget.

Jul 14, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #16,429 of 29,490
Quote:
So Im looking for some cans that are under $180~ and what I mainly listen to is metal/hard rock, but also some electronic, folk, indie-rock, and other stuff.
I've been looking into the AudioTechnica M50s, the Ultrasone HFI-580/680/780, and am open to any suggestions as to what would suit my needs best, while I listen to everything else, my main concern is them being able to handle metal well.
Thanks!

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

If the answer to these guestions allows a go, the Ultrasone HiFi 2400 (currently $185 at Amazon) may be your ticket.

Jul 14, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #16,430 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm too old for FPSs. Quake III was the last one with a worthy multiplayer. 
tongue.gif

What do you suggest for headphones though? Why did you go with the STX? There's no headphones for more that provide a large improvement in overall experience?

Headphones suggestions depends your budget?
(and what you use to drive them).
I went with Xonar sound cards because the control panel is simple and does what i need it to do.
I use to have problems with Creative software (like 4 years ago), not really using, just fixing problems.
But Creative fans tell me the Creative software has improved.
I switched from the Xonar DX to the Xonar Essence STX, because my tube amplifier took up deskspace.
But having everything in an all in one package (STX) makes everything easy, and most software/driver problems fixed in under 10 minutes.

Jul 14, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #16,431 of 29,490
I come from Creative also, and would like to go with Asus this time around. I can see where you're coming from. Thanks for the reply. Also thank you KG Jag for pointing out the first page of the thread. I hadn't even bothered looking at it. I found Mad Lust's guide for gaming headphones and have decided that I'll give the Samson SR850s a try. The imaging and bass extension are both supposed to be better than the AD700s, and the K701 and HD598 seem too boring for me.
Any other phones I should look into that are flat out better? I actually want to stay with open or semi open after reading that thread.

Jul 14, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #16,432 of 29,490
This is one of my first post on Head-Fi. Just before I start, I want to say I've always loved music and have always tried getting the best possible sound, and this is the first step of my venture into being an audiophile. Soon I'm going to be purchasing a fairly pair of cans, and some IEMs (posted over in the suggestion thread over there aswell.)

Price Range: I'm looking for Headphones at about $125. I would really rather not have it go near the upper end of the budget, but if the difference between a say $120 pair of IEMs and a $140 pair is really worth the difference, I'd be willing to go for it.

Music I Listen To: I listen to pretty much only Metal and it's sub-genres. Mainly Metalcore, Post-Hardcore, and Deathcore. (two song examples which kind of sum these up are Life Cycles - The Word Alive, or, Abigail - Motionless In White) I also venture into other forms of Rock such as Punk, Emo, Alternative, and others. I also listen to a good amount of "techcore" (I See Stars) and dubstep. When listening to metal, I really enjoy having a good bass presence, but nothing overwhelming. I'm assuming I'd want more of a bass present pair of cans (which is what I've looked into, If I'm wrong, please correct me). I'd like it to perform well in preferable anything I throw at it though.
Sources: I'd prefer them not to be amped, and be able to run off of my iPod or Smartphone (Droid 4). I'll be building a desktop soon with a dedicated sound card and amp (looking at the Asus STX), but would prefer it to not need an amp.
Features I'd Like: Preferably Closed, but Open wouldn't be the end of the world. Stylish (I like simplistic, I love the looks of [most] sennheiser products, but AKGs have a certain flare to them aswell). 
Headphones I've Looked At: Audiotechnica ADH-M50 ($120), Shure SRH840 ($149, but if I choose these, the IEM budget will suffer, I dont currently think the difference is worth it [based off of a few reviews], but if enough of you agree, maybe)
Retailer: Preferably Amazon, as that's where I'm planning on getting some of my other audio stuff, as well as other technology soon. 

Jul 14, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #16,433 of 29,490
Quote:
I come from Creative also, and would like to go with Asus this time around. I can see where you're coming from. Thanks for the reply. Also thank you KG Jag for pointing out the first page of the thread. I hadn't even bothered looking at it. I found Mad Lust's guide for gaming headphones and have decided that I'll give the Samson SR850s a try. The imaging and bass extension are both supposed to be better than the AD700s, and the K701 and HD598 seem too boring for me.
Any other phones I should look into that are flat out better? I actually want to stay with open or semi open after reading that thread.

Unspoken and unlisted rule on Head--Fi.
If you can not list a budget, we will not waste time with you.

Jul 14, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #16,435 of 29,490
Hey guys need some help. 

I own the Pro 900's and love them but I keep hearing about the Denon D2000's and Now I'm thinking about picking up a pair I need some help determining if that is a good idea or not. Are they really everything everyone is making them out to be or am I good with what I have. I run my headphones with my iPhone, iPad, and Macbook pro. I also Have an e11 so please give me your ideas and let me know what you think I should do. 

I listen to all kinds of music but mostly Dub and bass heavy music. Doesnt mean I dont have good taste in music but I need a set of cans that can handle what ever I throw at it.

Starting at $300 and under what other cans would you guys suggest... Here's a short list of what I have already. 

Hifi 780's 
Pro 900
Grado 80i (Sold)
M-Audio Q40 (Selling on eBay)
B & W P5 (Sold)
Denon AH-D1100
Koss Porta Pro
Sony XB500

I think thats most of them so fire away guys let me know what you think. 

Thanks in advance. 

Jul 14, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #16,436 of 29,490
Re-posting:

I've pretty much stuck myself on buying the Phillips Citiscape Uptown. But then I saw someone in the "Post portable rig" thread, post a picture of a Fostex T50 headphone connected to a portable amp that changed the jack from 6.5mm to 3.5mm. I was considering getting that Fostex headphone until I saw that it was a 6.5mm. I never looked into amps converting it into 3.5mm though. It is a double positive there where I can get a better sounding headphone which I can hook up to my electric piano's 6.5mm jack, as well as hook it up to an amp and then my ipod.
I guess my main concern is portability and price. They cost the same but for the Fostex, I need to buy that new amp, and I only have $160 to work with here. I am also an EXTREMELY frequent music listener. I don't think it is the most casual thing to take a headphone like that into public.
So.. Any help with this decision?

Jul 14, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #16,437 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys need some help. 

I own the Pro 900's and love them but I keep hearing about the Denon D2000's and Now I'm thinking about picking up a pair I need some help determining if that is a good idea or not. Are they really everything everyone is making them out to be or am I good with what I have. I run my headphones with my iPhone, iPad, and Macbook pro. I also Have an e11 so please give me your ideas and let me know what you think I should do. 

I listen to all kinds of music but mostly Dub and bass heavy music. Doesnt mean I dont have good taste in music but I need a set of cans that can handle what ever I throw at it.

Starting at $300 and under what other cans would you guys suggest... Here's a short list of what I have already. 

Hifi 780's 
Pro 900
Grado 80i (Sold)
M-Audio Q40 (Selling on eBay)
B & W P5 (Sold)
Denon AH-D1100
Koss Porta Pro
Sony XB500

I think thats most of them so fire away guys let me know what you think. 

Thanks in advance. 

The D2000 is a classic that is both on Tyll's Wall of Fame and is going away.  If you have the money, you should probably pick one up.  You can always sell it later.

Jul 14, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #16,438 of 29,490
Quote:

The D2000 is a classic that is both on Tyll's Wall of Fame and is going away.  If you have the money, you should probably pick one up.  You can always sell it later.

Have you heard them your self?? All I hear is how amazing they are and what not but I don't know if its worth it to buy them seeing that I just bought the Ultra 900's. But if I had any sense I wouldnt be here in the first place now would I 
atsmile.gif
 Will I need to run them with an amp?? 25 Ohm is awesome but I know some still need the amp to clean things up. 

Jul 14, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #16,439 of 29,490
Hello....I'm new at head-fi as I decided its time to end buying the cheap stuff that breaks way too often and offers no quality. And before I spend my cash, I'd like to ask for advice :)

Price range Well, living n Poland makes the prices higher then in US, but converting my currency to euro I've like 100 euro

Music I listen to country, Irish folk, Leonard Cohen, shanties, The Who, Frank Sinatra. But, most. Of all, primary role of the headphones will be gaming.

Sound source Creative fatality recon3d - I know, it's not good for music, but great for gaming :), also iPad

As for the headphones in my price range / availability I've looked at following
Creative Aurvana Live
ATH-M35
Beyerdynamics Dt-910
Sony MDR ZX 700

Jul 14, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #16,440 of 29,490
Quote:
Have you heard them your self?? All I hear is how amazing they are and what not but I don't know if its worth it to buy them seeing that I just bought the Ultra 900's. But if I had any since I wouldnt be here in the first place now would I 
atsmile.gif
 Will I need to run them with an amp?? 25 Ohm is awesome but I know some still need the amp to clean things up. 

I have them myself, but I also have the D5000 & D7000 and started listening to music when 78's were still common.  So what I might do probably is not the best indicator of what is best for you to do.  I also get my pair not long ago for just over $200 shipped.

The D2000 have the best bass and sub-bass in their (former) price class.  Further I like them as a non-basshead.  I have never heard the Ultra 900 and have not had much interest in the Pro 900 because the reviews and discussion of it indicate (at least to me) that it, unlike the Pro 750, is a basshead can--and an expensive on at that.

The D2000 does not need an amp, but will benefit from one.  Unless I'm on the road I always amp.  In any case, the D2000 is not a good can for on the go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back