++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 30, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #15,872 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey so i need some advice.

So I'm looking to get my first headphone amp. But here's the issue, the headphone jack on my computer has gone out. To fix this I've decided to buy and external DAC. I've happened upon the Fiio E 10. Which is a good DAC for the money(or at least that's what I've heard). But its apparently a poor amp. 

In essence what this boils down to is i need to get an amp to mate with the Fiio e10. The cheaper the better, as in around $50-ish 

Now if there's a better way to do this I'd love to hear it and thanks in advance.

Personal preferences:
Music: Primarily rock of an intricate and hard nature.
Sound: Neutral Preferred  Mid emphasis if anything
Primary Cans: Shure srh-840 But would like to use it with many future headphones.

Many thanks,
-Mat

While you might get some answers here, the better places to post this are in the forum sections dedicated to computer audio and amps.

Jun 30, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #15,873 of 29,490
Quote:
I won't bother you much, and I will try to be as short and concise as I can. I LOVE music and all emotions that flows from it. Music gives me a cretin freedom I can seldom have. When I do, I don’t listen one song, but entire album at best quality I can get- 320 or lossless. Genres are mostly rock an metal and almost all sub-categories (mtv pop, punk derivates and death sounds are not in my liking). Also, smooth and acid jazz- very fond of it, classical music and ambient from time to time. Usually it's Dream Theatre, Kansas, CCWR, ACDC, Maiden, Blind Guardians, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Doors, Who, Queen and such. Rammstein and Godsmack when I'm really down. Also, Nora Jones, Police, Chopin, Vivaldi, atc.
Recently, Sennheiser made cx 175 and they are cheep. I cant find anywhere a good review, so Im asking here- will they do any good and how do they stack up to apples default ones- I just know how they sound, so just for compartment.
Thx :wink:

I can't tell you how the Senns sound, but about the only cans worse than the default Apple earbuds are these:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/headphones-united-airlines-flight-962

Jun 30, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #15,875 of 29,490
Hi, I've been browsing these forums for many weeks now since I decided to get a pair of good headphones. I'm still very confused as to which one to go with.

I currently own a Klipsch Image S4.  I listen to U2, Pink Floyd,  Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Radiohead, Arcade Fire, Coldplay, Black Keys  and occasionally Pop and Hip-Hop and even Classical.  I'm quite ok with my current IEMs, but I would like to purchase new over-ear headphones. 

I have a budget of about 350$. I would be using this at work and home, so I'd prefer if it's closed. But, open headphones wouldn't be a deal-breaker.  I would like a reasonable amount of bass, since I've grown accustomed to the bass in S4, but not at the expense of mid-range frequencies.

I've been looking into the Denon 2000s, but reports of the recessed mid-range is putting me off it. My other contenders are the AKG K 550, HD 598, Ultrasone HFI 780 and Pro 750s. 

Could you please help me deciding between the above or any other headphones which fit the criteria?  Your help is greatly appreciated!  :)

Jun 30, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #15,876 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi, I've been browsing these forums for many weeks now since I decided to get a pair of good headphones. I'm still very confused as to which one to go with.

I currently own a Klipsch Image S4.  I listen to U2, Pink Floyd,  Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Radiohead, Arcade Fire, Coldplay, Black Keys  and occasionally Pop and Hip-Hop and even Classical.  I'm quite ok with my current IEMs, but I would like to purchase new over-ear headphones. 

I have a budget of about 350$. I would be using this at work and home, so I'd prefer if it's closed. But, open headphones wouldn't be a deal-breaker.  I would like a reasonable amount of bass, since I've grown accustomed to the bass in S4, but not at the expense of mid-range frequencies.

I've been looking into the Denon 2000s, but reports of the recessed mid-range is putting me off it. My other contenders are the AKG K 550, HD 598, Ultrasone HFI 780 and Pro 750s. 

Could you please help me deciding between the above or any other headphones which fit the criteria?  Your help is greatly appreciated!  :)

I'd confirm that the D2000 do have recessed mids (imo), but even if they didn't, they're still stretching the definition of closed earphones. The HD598 are definitely not closed and have very, very little sound isolation. But, they are really good for pop and hip-hop. You really may like the AKG-K550; for my ears, they bugged me on some areas of treble. They would be definitely worth trying to listen too. The K550 is really not portable for moving between office and home, but neither is the HD598 and D2000. Both the HD598 and K550 are comfortable, the K550 shockingly so for a closed headphone. 

Jun 30, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #15,877 of 29,490
Quote:

In what formats is/are your music (e.g. MP3, CD, vinyl, streaming, etc.)?

Sorry for the huge delay. Something HUGE came up. Anyways, most of my music is in lossless or itunes aac format. I'm now going through the rest of the pages catching up. That post avoshake is almost IDENTICAL to my needs too (except not caring about price).

The main issue from my huge post is the unnatural soundstage. It sounds ok for a couple minutes then it just gets very... I don't even know how to handle it, it's like EVERYTHING sounds forward and conjested. I have a hard time concentrating, things just get really fatiguing quickly while wearing them. I want to turn the music down yet then it's too low in volume. So I'm wondering if it's just showing me how tortured overly loud music is and I just can't handle it or the headphones have too small of a soundstage for my liking. I'm not used to hearing sounds from headphones at all either so a lot of this sounds somewhat "wrong". Exactly how much of an improvement does one get in regards to this with open headphones? Little improvement or a lot?

Jun 30, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #15,878 of 29,490
Quote:

I'd confirm that the D2000 do have recessed mids (imo), but even if they didn't, they're still stretching the definition of closed earphones. The HD598 are definitely not closed and have very, very little sound isolation. But, they are really good for pop and hip-hop. You really may like the AKG-K550; for my ears, they bugged me on some areas of treble. They would be definitely worth trying to listen too. The K550 is really not portable for moving between office and home, but neither is the HD598 and D2000. Both the HD598 and K550 are comfortable, the K550 shockingly so for a closed headphone. 

Thanks!   

How would you rate the AKG K550s for rock ? Also, would you happen to know if the Beyerdynamic DT 770 will suit my requirements?

Jun 30, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #15,879 of 29,490
Quote:

Thanks!   

How would you rate the AKG K550s for rock ? Also, would you happen to know if the Beyerdynamic DT 770 will suit my requirements?

I found them very satisfying all rounders, and quite good for rock, except like I mentioned on some cymbals. But great for stuff like Radiohead, etc. They take well-produced music really well. I've never heard the DT770, but I'm sure someone here has! 

Jun 30, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #15,880 of 29,490
Quote:

Thanks!   

IMHO K550's aren't that good for rock, they don't suck, but its one of the genres they like the least. They're just not punchy or aggressive enough. They don't have the impact.   DT770 Pro80's would be a better choice for that. Or maybe try the Ultrasone HFi780's or Pro900's if you need closed headphones great for faster music where impact and dynamics matter.

Jun 30, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #15,881 of 29,490
Hey!

Thinking of getting new phones + AMP.
At the moment leaning towards Sennheiser HD 518 + FiiO E11.
I've also looked at Grado SR80i & Audio-Technica ATH-M50.

Mostly listening to Rock & Dubstep. Which of those phones would be most suited for that? Any alternatives are welcome (I really don't want to spend more than 150$ on phones).

Jun 30, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #15,883 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey!

Thinking of getting new phones + AMP.
At the moment leaning towards Sennheiser HD 518 + FiiO E11.
I've also looked at Grado SR80i & Audio-Technica ATH-M50.

Mostly listening to Rock & Dubstep. Which of those phones would be most suited for that? Any alternatives are welcome (I really don't want to spend more than 150$ on phones).

The Senn & Grado are likely bass light for your Dubstep needs.  The M50 has recessed mids.  Maybe something like the KRK KNS 8400 or Ultrasone HiFi 780 would better meet your needs.

Jun 30, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #15,884 of 29,490
Quote:

In light of your comments about bass, the Ultrasone Pro 750 would seem to be the best fit, but you need an amp with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back