++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 8, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #15,301 of 29,490
@sydarnell

I'm going to recommend you check into a pair of JVC HA-RX700's which can be had for ~$30 on Amazon.com. The HA-RX700's are incredibly durable, have exceptional build quality for the price, and sound excellent. The phones are fairly flat and are great for listening to Rap, Rock, Electric, Jazz, Classical, ect. JVC also makes a HA-RX900 for around $50, but I have no experience with those headphones.

Jun 8, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #15,302 of 29,490
Guys,

I think I really need a straight not coiled cord. I also need comfort for big ears and a neutral to warmish (hate shrill highs) sig.

Mostly country music, some old school disco/funk, some smooth jazz, Krall, etc.

Candidates:

ATH-M50

Sony V6

Sony 7506

Budget ~ $100.

thx,

bob

Jun 8, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #15,303 of 29,490
Quote:
Guys,

I think I really need a straight not coiled cord. I also need comfort for big ears and a neutral to warmish (hate shrill highs) sig.

Candidates:

ATH-M50

Sony V6

Sony 7506

Budget ~ $100.

thx,

bob

This might help your decision a bit. I just checked the link and the code still works.

Direct from Soundprofessionals facebook page:
"This one is crazy! Until Midnight tonight only EST, ATH-M50 headphones are $99.00. Ignore the $40 coupon on the website and use this FB only coupon for $60 off - enter code at checkout: "ATH-M50-FB-SPECIAL". This will expire at midnight tonight! http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/ATH-M50-SPECIAL

Jun 8, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #15,305 of 29,490
Hello everyone, new member and first post.  There's not much I enjoy more than a good set of headphones.  Years ago, I was constantly buying new ones trying to find something I liked to no avail, then I did a little research and purchased a set of sennheisers.  I don't remember the model number, but they were not full size headphones.  These were great and lasted me a while, but sadly they took a @#$% and since then I have gone back to my old ways searching for a good pair of headphones.  I have always wanted a set of good over the ear headphones, so that is what I am looking to buy.  I would prefer to spend around the $150 range, but I am flexible.  I mainly use them commutin on the train to work and traveling and of course at home as well.  I listen to music off of my Nokia Lumia 900 and my computer.  I listen to a pretty wide array of music, so they would need to be pretty good all around and not specific to one style.  The only genre I rarely if ever listen to is country, I just can't get into it.  If it helps a few of my favorite groups are:
Deftones
Korn
Gorillaz
Rage against the machine
Led Zepplin
CCR
EPMD
Toadies
Tool
AC/DC
Eric Clapton
Guns n Roses
Beastie Boys
(Hed) PE

.....and so on, but I hope that helps and that's about it.  I would greatly appreciate any input from you all and thanks in advance =]

Jun 8, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #15,306 of 29,490
Hello guys!  I'm looking for advice on buying an open headphones to listen to classical music (FLAC 16-bit and 24-bit) in a laptop computer with a HRT HeadStreamer USB-powered Headphone DAC/Amplifier attached.

As far as my budget goes, it would have to be either one of these three:

1-) Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO Open Studio Headphones 250 Ohms

2-) Grado SR 225i Prestige Series Headphones

3-) Sennheiser HD 558 Headphones

Which one would be your choice?

Thank you

Jun 8, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #15,308 of 29,490
Ok i have asked around here in a few threads, and even started my own thread and have gotten very very few answers, so i will try here.  Im a noobie to the headphone scene, with that said here is what im looking for.  I want a good all around full size headphone, open or closed dont matter to much, im not trying to block outside sound to much.

I listen Stones, Zepplin, Blondie, Plimsouls, Cars, etc, i also watch alot of blu ray movies, i have a X-FI Titanium HD soundcard builit into my computer along with a blu ray player.  Im not a bass head by anymeans, i do like bass, but i dont want it thumping my brain side to side, but i do want to hear it.  So i want a good all around headphone, i have had a few recommendations, Denon 2000, Ultrasone hfi 2400.  I have done some research on my own and have came up with the AKG K555, Denon 2000, but im open to suggestions, whatever i get must sound clean and work for music and movies.  So shoot me out some models you guys think will work for no higher than $300.

I would prefer that you have heard the cans your going to recommend me, and thanks for all your time and opinions.

Jun 8, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #15,309 of 29,490
Hey,

so, im looking for very distinctive sounding headphones. I enjoy great bass (both sub bass and the thump) and a lot of it, but i never like them muddy or overpowering any other freq's. They can be boomy, sure, its fun, but only to a certain extent, hope you guys know what i mean. clear sound with fun bass is my call :) since i like electronic music, hip hop etc, but im no stranger to classical and rock genres too.. soo all rounders :D

and other things are just as follows:
sensitivity !!!!! I need high sensitivity headphones, so they can be easily driven by my phone
comfortability, i wear glasses and ive never had anything else besides iem's, so im still planning to go to a local place and try some cans out
at least reasonable isolation
good build quality is always a plus
would be perfect if they had detachable cables ... :)

oh, and the price.. well, i guess i can shell out up to 150$ ? well, definitely looking for something on the cheap side.

thanks for the advice, should i receive any ^^

Jun 8, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #15,310 of 29,490
Quote:
Guys,

Candidates:

ATH-M50

Sony V6

Sony 7506

Budget ~ $100.

thx,

bob

M50 normally will cost you around $130 to $150 shipped.  If you're going to spend that much, go with the Shure SRH 840.  The 7506 is more neutral and the better choice on your list for your genres.

Jun 8, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #15,311 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello guys!  I'm looking for advice on buying an open headphones to listen to classical music (FLAC 16-bit and 24-bit) in a laptop computer with a HRT HeadStreamer USB-powered Headphone DAC/Amplifier attached.

Thank you

They are all good but quite different from one another.  What sound signature do you prefer?

Jun 8, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #15,312 of 29,490
Quote:
Ok i have asked around here in a few threads, and even started my own thread and have gotten very very few answers, so i will try here.  Im a noobie to the headphone scene, with that said here is what im looking for.  I want a good all around full size headphone, open or closed dont matter to much, im not trying to block outside sound to much.

I listen Stones, Zepplin, Blondie, Plimsouls, Cars, etc, i also watch alot of blu ray movies, i have a X-FI Titanium HD soundcard builit into my computer along with a blu ray player.  Im not a bass head by anymeans, i do like bass, but i dont want it thumping my brain side to side, but i do want to hear it.  So i want a good all around headphone, i have had a few recommendations, Denon 2000, Ultrasone hfi 2400.  I have done some research on my own and have came up with the AKG K555, Denon 2000, but im open to suggestions, whatever i get must sound clean and work for music and movies.  So shoot me out some models you guys think will work for no higher than $300.

I would prefer that you have heard the cans your going to recommend me, and thanks for all your time and opinions.

Open will generally give you a better sound stage.  The AKG Q 701 is an excellent choice.  You might also like the Senn HD 598.

Jun 8, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #15,313 of 29,490
Alright so I am looking for a pair of headphones that don't leak a lot, and are easy to drive. I have looked at the following:

Audio Technica ATH M35

Sennheiser HD219

Koss DJ Pro 100

Monoprice 8323

My budget is $60, and I am mainly looking to use them on a laptop or an ipod for portable use.

Jun 8, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #15,314 of 29,490
Thanks for the recommendations, i heard the HD 598s so good, but the car interior look of them isnt for me, it may grab some people but i dont like the looks of them.  I will look at the AKG Q 701.  Any others i should check into ???

Jun 8, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #15,315 of 29,490
They are all good but quite different from one another.  What sound signature do you prefer?

Thank you

Transparent, I suppose.

The Headstreamer would give:

Grado SR225i: maximum SPL of 133.2 dB

Sennheiser HD 558: maximum SPL of 143.5 dB.7

As for the Beyerdynamic, maximum SPL would be around 113dB, which may be too low.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back