Full Range Desktop Speakers + T-Amp
Nov 15, 2010 at 12:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

lessblue

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone use a Sonic T-amp with speakers for a desktop setup?

Looking to upgrade from my Swan M200s. I own a Dayton 10" sub but never use it (neighbors) so I have to really just rely on my Swan M200s for a decent musical experience.

I know the bass will be lacking with desktop speakers/monitors but wondering what is the best I can do for about $500 with the T-amp.

Some decent full range desktop speaker options?? Just looking for something "musical'. They don't need to be accurate, in fact I don't want them to be too accurate. I listen to most genres of music except for classical.

Nov 15, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #2 of 4
Try the Cambridge Audio S30 speakers (~ $230). They have the efficiency and tonality to go with a T-amp. I've seen them being used with decent volume levels and sound with the Topping T-amps. Another candidate is the JBL Control One's. 

Nov 15, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #3 of 4
I use a modified Trends T-Amp (Mardis v 3.0) with a pair of Tekton fullrange speakers.  Really nice.

Nov 15, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #4 of 4
Used to use a generic ebay T-Amp (Topping MKII), which I eventually replaced with the MiniWatt Tube Amplifier with my Tekton Full Range 4.1 as my desktop/nearfield setup.

First off a note on Full Range drivers (in a nearfield setup) - wonderful imaging and soundstage, definitely the selling point. wonderful mids, and of course your frequency extremes are a bit cut off, the low range more noticeably so.  

The MiniWatt improved depth imaging and overall the soundstage/imaging improved. The frequency response changes, and it does become noticeably colored, but in a very pleasurable way- mid-bass becomes a bit warmer so the bass sounds fuller (read:more percieved bass response), mids remain wonderful, and well, the highs are about the same. Compliments full range drivers, if at perhaps the cost of some detail (almost unnoticeable)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back