From SR125i to SR325i or RS2i
Feb 7, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #61 of 71
Bill are those your 60's that you modded on youtube?

Feb 8, 2011 at 6:17 AM Post #63 of 71

Quote:
Well, I have officially cheated on the Grado family(A&H please don't hurt me)  ..........I have a pair of DT880's on the way.

basshead.gif

Feb 8, 2011 at 6:56 AM Post #65 of 71
bahaha

Feb 8, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #67 of 71
kjoh please let us know how the DT880s sound. I think those might be my first non-Grados when the time comes. For now, my 225is are the best thing ever 
biggrin.gif

Feb 8, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #68 of 71

Quote:
kjoh please let us know how the DT880s sound. I think those might be my first non-Grados when the time comes. For now, my 225is are the best thing ever 
biggrin.gif

Sure thing
smile_phones.gif
 There have been multiple comparisons between the dt880's and grado phones(both prestige and reference line). I'm really curious to find out what they deliver in their price range.

Feb 20, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #69 of 71
Hey guys, finally received my dt880's the other day so I thought I'd post some brief impressions. The only cans I have right now for direct comparison are the sr125i's. I'll see what notes I can make from memory for some of the other cans I've tested.

To start, the very first thing that I really noticed going from a grado phone was the lack of forwardness. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, it just really catches you off guard at first and so the immediate reaction towards them may be a bit underwhelming. Again I'm coming from the sr125i's; really aggressive grado cans(probably second in line to the 325is).  

Now the one thing I felt once I put the lack of forwardness aside, was that I was equally satisfied with the lows, mids, and highs. Bass, although lacking slam, had great extensions and impact(similar to hd650's). Some people believe the bass to be on the light side, but i think any more for the dt880's might come off as a little too boomy. The mids were very nice as well. Very natural and spacious. Nicer than the sr125i's, but not as good as the hd650's(the mids that is)
biggrin.gif
. Now the highs! I firmly believe this is why some people have commented on the dt880's being a nice transition from grado. The highs possess that same wonderful detailed sparkle I find with my 125i's.

Ok now the one thing I felt the dt880's completely dominated in was soundstage. Absolutely wonderful instrument separation and a great sense of airiness. The result of this delivers amazing detail and the feeling of and added layer of dimension. To date, this is the best soundstage I've ever heard in a can.

So, in summary, I was extremely impressed with these hp's
smile_phones.gif
  I would not go as far as to say they deliver a similar listening experience to the typical grado phone, but IMO they do deliver one that is equally as satisfying. Your getting alot of similar qualities in the dt880's but with significantly reduced slam. However, for me the significant improvement in soundstage made up for this. So if your looking to step out of the grado shell to see what else is out there, this is a great place to start. In fact, given the price you can pick up a used set of these cans for, I firmly believe they should be apart of every audiophile's hp collection. 

Feb 20, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #70 of 71

Quote:
Again I'm coming from the sr125i's; really aggressive grado cans(probably second in line to the 325is).  

Boy do I disagree with this statement. 
smile_phones.gif
  The SR125i's have comfies.  They are no where near as aggressive as the SR325i's.  The SR225i's are a lot closer to the SR325i's than the SR125i's are ...

Feb 23, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #71 of 71

Quote:
Boy do I disagree with this statement. 
smile_phones.gif
  The SR125i's have comfies.  They are no where near as aggressive as the SR325i's.  The SR225i's are a lot closer to the SR325i's than the SR125i's are ...

Ah one thing I should have pointed out actually is that i use L-cushions with my 125i's
redface.gif
 I found the 'comfies' were putting too much pressure on my ears. At first I wasn't happy with the switch because of how bright they became, but the improvement in detail made up for it and i gradually got used to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back