From SR125i to SR325i or RS2i
Jan 17, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #16 of 71

Quote:

The comments are based on experience. Slightly off topic but relevant, I have worked for a very large consumer electronics company for many years and there is continual dribble on forums about mods etc. I find it quite amusing that novices think that they know better than the people and companies that have spent vast amounts of time and money developing products. If your modified cans sound better to you then all well and good I however will put it down to a placibo effect as you have done the mod wanting it to sound better and thus it does. I'm not saying they don't sound different I'm sure they do I just dispute the better bit.My suggestion to the op was simply buy the RS2i's or if you can afford it the RS1's because some clever designers at Grado have done a good job already.

manufacturer's that make multiple products in the same area know the best formula for a good product (well i hope) but they have to retard/find ways to inhibit a lower priced product so people looking for the best/better product has to pay more. 

Jan 17, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #17 of 71

Quote:
Quote:

The comments are based on experience. Slightly off topic but relevant, I have worked for a very large consumer electronics company for many years and there is continual dribble on forums about mods etc. I find it quite amusing that novices think that they know better than the people and companies that have spent vast amounts of time and money developing products. If your modified cans sound better to you then all well and good I however will put it down to a placibo effect as you have done the mod wanting it to sound better and thus it does. I'm not saying they don't sound different I'm sure they do I just dispute the better bit.My suggestion to the op was simply buy the RS2i's or if you can afford it the RS1's because some clever designers at Grado have done a good job already.

manufacturer's that make multiple products in the same area know the best formula for a good product (well i hope) but they have to retard/find ways to inhibit a lower priced product so people looking for the best/better product has to pay more. 

for example, the HD555 and 595 are supposed to be different products, but people have found a way to release the full potential of the 555 until it becomes almost exactly the same as the 595 with simple mods. sennheiser has the know how. but they want to cater to everyone not just the elite or the budget minded consumer

Jan 17, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #18 of 71

Quote:
Quote:

for example, the HD555 and 595 are supposed to be different products, but people have found a way to release the full potential of the 555 until it becomes almost exactly the same as the 595 with simple mods. sennheiser has the know how. but they want to cater to everyone not just the elite or the budget minded consumer

Right, and I can most certainly believe that Bilavideo's mods do the exact same thing with Grados.  Now, would his mod'ed 325 sound like the RS2i or RS1i?  I don't believe that it would.  (Notice I didn't say better, I said like.)  But would it sound better than the stock 325?  That I think would be up to a person's individual preferences.  I can most certainly believe that a mod'ed 325 could be preferred by some people over the stock 325, and I can most certainly believe that a mod'ed 325 might be preferred over the RS2i by some other/different people too.  But the vice versa's will be true too.

One of the things I've learned here is, headphone preferences are an extremely personal and individual thing.

Jan 18, 2011 at 3:22 AM Post #19 of 71

Quote:
Well...it's been a couple weeks...I guess the placebo has really kicked my ass because I still think my headphones sound better. As far as people and companies that know better than us novices...ever try on a pair of Beats or Bose? That is two examples that prove that companies don't alway know dick about headphones, audio, good sound, or what actually passes as quality.

But I guess I should put my opinions aside and just believe you since you obviously know what is best for my ears having worked for a large consumer electronics company and all.

Couple of things here, you no longer have the original cans to compare to so your opinion is not lightly to change from your first perceptions.

With regards to Bose and Monster, I to am no lover of these cans BUT they do cater for the market for which they were conceived. I am sure that both companies see these products as a success and there are lots of customers who would agree. They are not marketed for the audiophile market.

With reference to your last comment it comes across as slightly immature I didn't say anywhere that i knew what was best for your ears. I think it actually says if your happy with them then all well and good. The work reference was used as an example of a similar scenario as the same thing happens in my business.

Quote:

Not familiar with the mods or measurement methods used to compare the hd555 & 595, but it makes sense for a company to cover all bases in the market. I don't think retarding a product is the correct term I would have thought using cheaper materials, cheaper labour etc is the best way to achieve this. But if they use common parts such as drivers this would also make economic sense as it would drive down the cost of the part, this would be compared to the cost of developing a new driver.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

One of the things I've learned here is, headphone preferences are an extremely personal and individual thing. Totally agree

Jan 18, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #20 of 71
Lol the one thing I've learned is how much can happen around here in a day.  IMO when looking at the world of homemade hp mods there certainly is the risk of completely mutilating a good set of cans and sure you can play it safe and pay for the next step up instead. But I've seen enough positive feedback on homemade mods to think that it's worth a try:)  As long as the mod comes from a source who has had practice and experience with it and has the good reception(which Bilavideo has), then why not?  Even if its some kind of "placebo effect", we haven't spent anything and we think it sounds better, so.. happy regardless!

I do wish there were ways to audition all these different options though:frowning2: yay for small towns.  Feedback is helping though thanks! Keep 'em coming!

Jan 18, 2011 at 6:39 AM Post #21 of 71
Don't get me wrong I am not against mods I am sure some of them have validity and it keeps certain people happy because they think they have something different to everybody else, I just think there is a lot of BS to.

It is a pain when you can't audition equipment however this does leave the door open to buying and selling (sometime selling or hoarding) copious amounts of headphones/amplifiers and annoying the misses
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Lol the one thing I've learned is how much can happen around here in a day.  IMO when looking at the world of homemade hp mods there certainly is the risk of completely mutilating a good set of cans and sure you can play it safe and pay for the next step up instead. But I've seen enough positive feedback on homemade mods to think that it's worth a try:)  As long as the mod comes from a source who has had practice and experience with it and has the good reception(which Bilavideo has), then why not?  Even if its some kind of "placebo effect", we haven't spent anything and we think it sounds better, so.. happy regardless!

I do wish there were ways to audition all these different options though:frowning2: yay for small towns.  Feedback is helping though thanks! Keep 'em coming!

Jan 18, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #22 of 71
Haha, yes indeed
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
It is a pain when you can't audition equipment however this does leave the door open to buying and selling (sometime selling or hoarding) copious amounts of headphones/amplifiers and annoying the misses
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Jan 18, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #24 of 71

Hmmm, how 'bout taking my current SR125i's and sending them in for a magnum mod(vs 325i or rs2i)? I just discovered the magnum mod last night
biggrin.gif

The Magnum Mod is undoubtedly cool as it lets you turn a 325 into a kind of unofficial aluminum monster, like the PS1 and HP1000, but I think you have to have a 325 to play.

Jan 20, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #25 of 71

Quote:
I have RS2i's on the way.

I'll report back in when my RS2i's get here.  Should be in the next 2 days or so.

Backordered through Grado.  The dealer says Grado says that they'll be another week or two.  At least I know I'm getting a freshly manufactured pair.

Jan 20, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #26 of 71

Quote:
Hmmm, how 'bout taking my current SR125i's and sending them in for a magnum mod(vs 325i or rs2i)? I just discovered the magnum mod last night
biggrin.gif

Read this, all of it, and tell me if you still want to try this:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/434471/magnum-upgrade-for-grado-sr325-and-alessandro-ms2

biggrin.gif

I was interested in this for my SR125i's, until I read that thread.  Delay after delay, and seemingly, Rhydon not being upfront with the delays and the reasons why, and then when in the end I did decide to ask him about the light mod for $249 for my 125's, bam, he said the price is now $299.  So I just put that $299 towards the RS2i's instead.

Jan 20, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #27 of 71

Quote:
Quote:
biggrin.gif

Read this, all of it, and tell me if you still want to try this:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/434471/magnum-upgrade-for-grado-sr325-and-alessandro-ms2

biggrin.gif

I was interested in this for my SR125i's, until I read that thread.  Delay after delay, and seemingly, Rhydon not being upfront with the delays and the reasons why, and then when in the end I did decide to ask him about the light mod for $249 for my 125's, bam, he said the price is now $299.  So I just put that $299 towards the RS2i's instead.

Hmm, that looked like quite an adventure.  It seems like Rhydon has improved though. A lot of the real interesting stories seem to stem from the first batch of hp's sent to him.  Although, like you said, that same amount of money could be put towards the RS2.  Hmmm........

Quote:
Quote:
I have RS2i's on the way.

I'll report back in when my RS2i's get here.  Should be in the next 2 days or so.

Backordered through Grado.  The dealer says Grado says that they'll be another week or two.  At least I know I'm getting a freshly manufactured pair.

Yeah, such high demand from such a small company. Understandable.  At this point I'm kind of leaning a little more towards the 325is. Haven't ruled out the RS2i completely though. Would still like to hear your feedback once they arrive
atsmile.gif

Jan 20, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #28 of 71
The SR 325's are great. I don't think you would be disappointed. Plus the Bilavideo mods work fantastically with the 325's if you dare to do them.

Jan 20, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #29 of 71

Quote:
The SR 325's are great. I don't think you would be disappointed. Plus the Bilavideo mods work fantastically with the 325's if you dare to do them.

Right on.  How much of a difference did the Bilavideo mod make to the highs in your opinion?  A lot of people say the 125i's are extremely bright hp's but I don't mind them at all. So I'm just wondering if the mod would make the 325is a bit too laid back for my taste?

Jan 20, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #30 of 71
Just heard from the dealer today: he got my RS2i's in, and he immediately shipped them out. 
biggrin.gif

Magnums: There were also delays with swapping the V1 for V2's (not as bad as the delays for the initial V1 ship, yes), and I believe that at least one person here sent his headphones to him in Oct and is still waiting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back