From Sennheiser HD 650 to HiFiMAN HE-400i... there's no way back!
Oct 15, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #31 of 74
Hi!

I'm in the middle between the hd650 and he400i as my only headphone.
I listen to almost any genres, except hip hop and similar.
I'm a consumed diyer and will build my own desktop amp.
With this fact in mind, I'm now more oriented onto the hd650, due to the scalability ability.
I'm not in the position to listen to any headphone I would like to, so my final choice will be based on reviews and personal feelings.
I would like to hear some opinions about a comparison between an optimal driven hd650 vs an optimal driven he400i.
Thank you all.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I could buy hd650 at 380€ shipped and he400i at 380€ shipped.

Oct 16, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #32 of 74
Hi!

I'm in the middle between the hd650 and he400i as my only headphone.
I listen to almost any genres, except hip hop and similar.
I'm a consumed diyer and will build my own desktop amp.
With this fact in mind, I'm now more oriented onto the hd650, due to the scalability ability.
I'm not in the position to listen to any headphone I would like to, so my final choice will be based on reviews and personal feelings.
I would like to hear some opinions about a comparison between an optimal driven hd650 vs an optimal driven he400i.
Thank you all.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I could buy hd650 at 380€ shipped and he400i at 380€ shipped.

650 optimal  wins hands down. no contest, 

Oct 22, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #34 of 74
Could you make a comparison?

aural comparison , is impossible, but i had both units for a few months with me, then i sold the 400i, the 650 sounds natural thats the main reason i love it. and with the proper amp. it really scales where as the 400i doesn't change into something spectacular. 

i have tried a lot of headphones the 650 is what i feel is my signature, your aural preference could be very different.

Oct 24, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #35 of 74

aural comparison , is impossible, but i had both units for a few months with me, then i sold the 400i, the 650 sounds natural thats the main reason i love it. and with the proper amp. it really scales where as the 400i doesn't change into something spectacular. 

i have tried a lot of headphones the 650 is what i feel is my signature, your aural preference could be very different.

Thanks fot your thoughts.

So, it seems HD650 will be my next headphones.

Oct 28, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #36 of 74
Thanks fot your thoughts.

So, it seems HD650 will be my next headphones.

I'm possibly going to confuse things here. I'm one of the few which feel the 650 isn't much cop. Alot will say that "oh you haven't heard them out of the appropriate setup" and, actually I've heard them out of a variety of fotm setups and the tried and true. Everytime, i didnt get what the fuss was. Bored me to tears everytime. There ok, nothing special- always seemed sludgy and congealed. I think the 700 and of course the 800 boots them out of the park. Now HE400i.. much better. More exciting, clearer and coherent. Even out of a DF Red v 650 out of anything ive heard.

Ps. You've probably heard this a thousand times. Hear both and form your own opinion. If cant, dont buy either and go without.

Nov 20, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #38 of 74
I am in the same position here, trying to upgrade my headphones. I am running the idsd micro from my laptop and I am between hd 650 and he400i. Both around the same price. Listening to them is not an option for me so I have to trust what I read online and with a little luck I will be making the right choice.

I listen to rock, alternative, soul, funk and lately lots of jazz. I acationally listen to edm and eletronic music. I like a headphone that will be accurate and natural sounding, not artificial sound just to impress. But I would not like a boring headphone.

I keep reading opossite thoughts on those two headphones and I really can't make my mind. I would go for the senn's since my current can's are the 598 and I really like the sound they produce but I keep reading about how open and life alike is the sound of the hifiman.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Nov 21, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #39 of 74
  I am in the same position here, trying to upgrade my headphones. I am running the idsd micro from my laptop and I am between hd 650 and he400i. Both around the same price. Listening to them is not an option for me so I have to trust what I read online and with a little luck I will be making the right choice.

I listen to rock, alternative, soul, funk and lately lots of jazz. I acationally listen to edm and eletronic music. I like a headphone that will be accurate and natural sounding, not artificial sound just to impress. But I would not like a boring headphone.

I keep reading opossite thoughts on those two headphones and I really can't make my mind. I would go for the senn's since my current can's are the 598 and I really like the sound they produce but I keep reading about how open and life alike is the sound of the hifiman.

Any help would be much appreciated.

for the amp you have and choice of music and what you expect the 400i should work better. 

Feb 10, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #41 of 74
I am also a HD650 owner for several years. I've always been interested in planar headphones. I just ordered a demo pair of 400i for $250. I'm looking forward to seeing what they are all about. I'm looking forward to mating them with my WA6.

Great review. Very informative and honest. It's one of the reasons I decided to give the 400i a try.

Apr 1, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #42 of 74
I'm possibly going to confuse things here. I'm one of the few which feel the 650 isn't much cop. Alot will say that "oh you haven't heard them out of the appropriate setup" and, actually I've heard them out of a variety of fotm setups and the tried and true. Everytime, i didnt get what the fuss was. Bored me to tears everytime. There ok, nothing special- always seemed sludgy and congealed. I think the 700 and of course the 800 boots them out of the park. Now HE400i.. much better. More exciting, clearer and coherent. Even out of a DF Red v 650 out of anything ive heard.

Ps. You've probably heard this a thousand times. Hear both and form your own opinion. If cant, dont buy either and go without.

I've used the HD650 with the following:

Emotiva Stealth DC-1 Dac > Bottlehead Crack amp (with Tung Sol 5998 and Raytheon 6SN7 tubes)
Schiit Modi Multibit Dac > Emotiva XSP-1 > Bottlehead Crack amp

And the 650's sound vibrant and dynamic. I can't imagine anyone being bored with the 650s with the above. I certainly wouldn't use sludgely and congealed to describe the sound I'm hearing

Apr 2, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #43 of 74
I am going the other way too.  I started with the HiFiMan HE400i.  I wanted to hear what the open Sennheiser soind was a bout so I picked up a pair of HD580 and was floored!  I now own HD540 and 540II along with AKG K240 Sextett and a Bottlehead Crack kit on the way.  
The HE400i are for sale now on eBay.

May 10, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #44 of 74
Aug 13, 2017 at 1:44 AM Post #45 of 74
I listen to both hd650 and he400i almost daily. I like and enjoy them both. 650 has a warm, relaxed sound whereas 400i has a neutral, forward sound. They complement each other well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back