from Rs1 to He500
Jun 28, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #5 of 20
I'd say expect a rather sizable improvement over your RS1, but don't take my word for it.  Allow me to refer you to this thread for more info.  By the way, what will you be plugging the HE-500 into?

Jun 28, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #7 of 20
Nice!  Perhaps you could do a short comparison between the RS1 and he HE-500 and some pictures wouldn't hurt either.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 28, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #9 of 20

Quote:
i just purchased the He500 by Hifiman. Coming from the Rs1 how much of an upgrade should i expect?

See "mrarroyo's" comments re: the two.  He seems to suggest you can expect a bit of an improvement... and... he's a big Grado fan. 

Though, I've found that the differences between many top phones are rather subtle... unless you've got a severe case of OCD... or, perhaps... have the money to pair them each with their optimum set ups - which can be quite pricey. 

Jun 29, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #10 of 20
Well, if you're not a grado fan then the upgrade will be substantial.  I recently went from magnum 325's to LCD-2's and though my LCD-2s quickly replaced almost my entire phone collection I still like my grados as much as the LCD-2s - because I like thier sound.

Jul 2, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #11 of 20
I do like the rsi. the comment i made was a reply to the previous post. Anyway the he500s arrived last nite.
they are heavy but comfortable and they seem sturdy and well made. The sound is a little coarse out the
box but i know they require sufficient burn in and more power. i have to turn volume knob more than halfway
to reach the listening level im accustomed to. I like what im hearing so far and these babies are a keeper.
Very natural and balanced sound.

Jul 2, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #12 of 20
I do like the rsi. the comment i made was a reply to the previous post. Anyway the he500s arrived last nite.
they are heavy but comfortable and they seem sturdy and well made. The sound is a little coarse out the
box but i know they require sufficient burn in and more power. i have to turn volume knob more than halfway
to reach the listening level im accustomed to. I like what im hearing so far and these babies are a keeper.
Very natural and balanced sound.

I'll probably always keep my RS-1 cause they do rock guitar like few others. I also love the mahogany sleeves.

That said, the HE-500 reminds me of a RS-1 or steroids, HE-6- K701 and LCD-2- HD-650. All three orthos are better IMO but you'll find they do scale up with better gear. They also do wonderful out of a quality speaker amp for another amp option.

Look forward to your long term comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back