From Denon C700 to Turbines or IE7?
Apr 24, 2009 at 1:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

suba3333

100+ Head-Fier
I've had the Denon C700 for about 15 months and I am now ready to upgrade to something better with a warm sound signature, great bass, good soundstage and decent isolation. I also need the phones not to stick out to much from my ears so I can sleep with them with my head on its side (which was difficult with the Denons).

I have narrowed it down to the Sennheiser IE7 (probably 2nd hand) or the Monster Turbines.

I am also thinking of getting the next generation of the iPod Touch sometime.

Apr 24, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #2 of 5
If you want to sleep in them, the Senns are the better style, as the Turbines, while not large, are not flush with your ears, while the Senns are (I owned the IE8s and the Turbines). The Turbines are not large, but smaller versions of the C700s (more like the 551s). My guess is the Senns are a better SQ phone as well, but that is purely speculative, having never heard the IE7s.

Apr 24, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by suba3333 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had the Denon C700 for about 15 months and I am now ready to upgrade to something better with a warm sound signature, great bass, good soundstage and decent isolation. I also need the phones not to stick out to much from my ears so I can sleep with them with my head on its side (which was difficult with the Denons).

I have narrowed it down to the Sennheiser IE7 (probably 2nd hand) or the Monster Turbines.

I am also thinking of getting the next generation of the iPod Touch sometime.

I had (and loved!) the C700's too, and can promise you that the IE7 is a huge step up in virtually every area. Still have some Turbines out on loan, and they're also a step up from the C700's, but much much warmer in tone, too warm for me.

I liked the IE7 better than the Turbines, mainly because of the more neutral sound signature, the upfront and smooth vocals, and of course, the killer soundstage! And if you get the next generation iPod Touch, you'll find it matches very nicely with the IE7. Oh, and you can sleep with them in comfortably, because they sit flush with your ears, unlike the Denons and Turbines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back