Fritz Reiner - BMG Remaster
Feb 13, 2006 at 7:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

drarthurwells

Headphoneus Supremus
Just got a 2 CD "Artists of the Century" BMG remastering of RCA Red Seal recordings of Fritz Reiner with the Chicago Sym. Orch.

Reiner was a really fine conductor - one of the all time greats.

Includes works by Rossini, Haydn, Beethoven, Maria Von Weber, Strauss, Liszt, Wagner, Ravel, and Bartok.

It is a 2001 remastering in Germany using 24/96 technology, and made in China.

Even though the recordings were made 50 years ago, it has better sound than many modern CDS. Really superb sound.

Feb 13, 2006 at 9:28 PM Post #2 of 9
Reiner was amazing - he was also a legendary tyrant - even moreso than Mahler! I had a buddy once whose father was a longtime CSO cellist, and he confirmed that all of the Reiner stories were true.

Reiner's RCA Living Stereo recordings are among the very best ever made. Some of his best stuff is out on SACD now as well.

Feb 14, 2006 at 1:17 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Sarvis
Reiner was amazing - he was also a legendary tyrant - even moreso than Mahler! I had a buddy once whose father was a longtime CSO cellist, and he confirmed that all of the Reiner stories were true.

Reiner's RCA Living Stereo recordings are among the very best ever made. Some of his best stuff is out on SACD now as well.

Thanks - I was sure you would be able to provide some more info and appreciate your input.

I have heard Reiner at times in the distant past on vinyl, and confess I overlooked him at the time.

This CD acquisition has opened my eyes - such impeccable mastery of the orchestra by Reiner!

I think the Chinese CD manufacturing is as good as anywhere. I have sebvearla Chinese CDs and they all have great sound.

BTW, we all need to increase our music listening before the world comes to an end. Since we have been able to detect it, the earth has always had a slight wobble as it spins. For the last 21 days this wobble has ceased. Polar shift? Who knows, but repent ye sinners or listen to more music or whatever - the end may be near.

HGD.gif

Feb 14, 2006 at 9:31 PM Post #4 of 9
B000239AT2.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

There is a great series called Great Conductors of 20th Century with a Reiner edition you should get, remastered 2CDs at reduced price. These collect harder to find much sought after recordings by each artist, there are at least 20 different conductors featured and I have almost all of them, great stuff.

Reiner

Of course there are many RCA Living Stereo releases by Reiner being remastered and released as SACD hybrids at reduced price.

Feb 15, 2006 at 3:41 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
Thanks - I was sure you would be able to provide some more info and appreciate your input.

I have heard Reiner at times in the distant past on vinyl, and confess I overlooked him at the time.

This CD acquisition has opened my eyes - such impeccable mastery of the orchestra by Reiner!

I think the Chinese CD manufacturing is as good as anywhere. I have sebvearla Chinese CDs and they all have great sound.

BTW, we all need to increase our music listening before the world comes to an end. Since we have been able to detect it, the earth has always had a slight wobble as it spins. For the last 21 days this wobble has ceased. Polar shift? Who knows, but repent ye sinners or listen to more music or whatever - the end may be near.

HGD.gif

Why not? There are alot of Chinese audiophile cds (I mean ALOT). I bought alot of those (usually vocals/ contempary), excellent sound, and at worse over revealing
biggrin.gif

But the websites are a nightmare to search and sometimes obselete.

I notice many remasters, alot in HDCD (in fact most of it) for classicals. But I'm slowly dipping my feet into classical so never bought one yet. I didn't check what labels those were under. It could be international (like BMG) or under their own publishing.

Feb 15, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
B000239AT2.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

There is a great series called Great Conductors of 20th Century with a Reiner edition you should get, remastered 2CDs at reduced price. These collect harder to find much sought after recordings by each artist, there are at least 20 different conductors featured and I have almost all of them, great stuff.

Reiner

Of course there are many RCA Living Stereo releases by Reiner being remastered and released as SACD hybrids at reduced price.

How is the sound quality?
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 15, 2006 at 12:20 PM Post #7 of 9
The sound quality is variable in Great Conductors 20th Century series since that is not real focus and works are assembled from various sources and time periods for each conductor.........

Mar 7, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #8 of 9
I just got my latest batch of Living Stereo SACDs, and my must say that this Reiner classic is one of the best of the bunch. I didn't think I liked waltz music but this disc is incredible!

B000E1NWK0.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Mar 7, 2006 at 5:50 AM Post #9 of 9
One of my favorite documentaries is The Art of Conducting. The footage of Reiner is terrifying. He looks like a monster while he conducts. Furtwangler and Stoki are always great to watch too.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back