friggin spam
Apr 2, 2002 at 10:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

rickcr42

Are YOU talkin' to me?
I have been on line for around eight years and have NEVER been spammed.My wife screws around with group lotto or some crap,gives my email address and [size=medium]WHAMMO[/size]
LIKE 250 messages a day now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I set up filters and it blocks some stufff I truly want and signed up for

JEEEEZ,can't friggin win

Apr 3, 2002 at 12:50 AM Post #2 of 24
frown.gif

it happens to the best of us, man................

Apr 3, 2002 at 11:16 AM Post #3 of 24
sucks man. I got a block-list of a couple of pages, the spam's sortof less now, but it still sucks.

Apr 3, 2002 at 12:03 PM Post #4 of 24
Hotmail seems really bad with the spam. i get between 25-50 a day, even with the filters up and the junk mail folder. so if i don't check my mail at least once a week, forget about it - waaaaay over the account limit!

but the worst ones have to be those that automatically send every half hour of so. finding 1500 new messages that are all the same doesn't exactly make my day...

Apr 3, 2002 at 2:07 PM Post #5 of 24
I use two accounts. One for important stuff (I never get spam here), and one for everyday use (occasional spam, like once a month).

BTW, why's this in the music forum? lol

Apr 4, 2002 at 12:12 AM Post #6 of 24
I dunno why, I haven't given my e-mail adress to ANYONE (who's evil (spammers are, BTW), but to others people I have given it to) and I still get tons of spam. Maybe it's because I have AOL . . . Oh, and did you know that their is an add that pops up BEFORE you are able to sign on and even and add that pops up WHILE you're trying to sign off; you have to say "Disconnect" again to get past that ad and actually sign off. #$%##, you, AOL!
rolleyes.gif
But on my AT&T Broadband service, which has by other e-mail address, I don't get spam . . Odd, aye?

What are these 'filters' you guys are talking about? I NEED one ofr my AOL account, but the problem is that it seems like they're not perfect yet. Oh well.

Apr 4, 2002 at 12:33 AM Post #7 of 24
Hmm I just mask my real e-mail address with another one that I change occasionally (forwarding)... so my real e-mail has zero spam while my mask keeps on getting it... when it is too much I just change the mask... in fact I recently just did.

Hotmail sucks, I opened an account with them and opted out everything and intended the e-mail for private use (as in, just for myself, when I want to get things from home to school and such)... anyways I was spammed instantly! What the hell... I didn't even give that e-mail out... and they are trying to reduce spam, pah! Dumb microsoft. Anyways I have the highest level spam filtering on there (exclusive to just myself) and now it is behaving
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2002 at 4:06 AM Post #8 of 24
Quality,
You can turn those startup and shutdown ads off on AOL, the switch is just buried deep in the user settings (gee, I wonder why
frown.gif
).

And yeah having an aol account is a spam magnet.

Apr 4, 2002 at 5:54 AM Post #9 of 24
I've gone through several email adresses trying to get away from spam. I've had my current one for a while, and never had problems. Then all of a sudden, afew weeks ago, I got slammed by a ****-ton of it. there's no way to stop the crap. it pisses me off!

Apr 4, 2002 at 6:32 AM Post #10 of 24
One of my yahoo accounts was totally ruined,

I was getting like 500 messages a day.

Hotmail recently added a feature of blocking the domain name of an email address. This has worked wonders for my spam on that account.

I even got spammed once on the private account I pay for with a web hosting service. I guess they sold my email the farkin bastards.

Apr 4, 2002 at 6:43 AM Post #11 of 24
I like hotmail's blocking feature a lot (hotmail's what I'm using right now), but there are so many totally different companies spamming me that it blocks maybe 25% of the incoming trash. That's pretty good, I guess, but I still wish I didn't get it at all.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 4, 2002 at 6:47 AM Post #12 of 24
It seems to be getting worse, i get more junk by the day at a secondary email account. Even if you try to unsubsribe u just get more. Unforunately there's no way to block anything with this account (as far as i know, there are no user features).

Apr 4, 2002 at 7:05 AM Post #13 of 24
Oh yeah,

Dont try to unsubscribe. Emailers use that to trick you into verifying whether or not that is an active email address or not. You are basically increasing the value of your email as a commodity to be bought and sold without your permission everytime you try to unsubscribe.

I want to strangle mass emailers, or I want them to send me 90% of what they make off of my mere existence. Apparently though only other people can get paid for my mere existence.

I'd would really like to get paid for being forced to delete all that farkin spam. My only reconciliation is that whatever spam they sent me was a total waste of time on their part. I've started writing threatening letters to mass emailers. Telling them I am going to rip off their fingers the next time I get an email from them. I'm not sure if it's working, but it seems to be the only thing I can do in some cases, especially with my yahoo accounts, since you can't block the domain name.

Apr 4, 2002 at 1:12 PM Post #14 of 24
I could set up filters but then things that I actually signed up for ,email from places like LL Bean , audio advisor , X10 are also blocked unless set up carefully.
I choose where to give out my email address carefully and have had no problems until now.
As for multiple mailboxes , I have five
Two are mine,one is business only,one for my wife and the other two for my children.
Just really sucks that I have to delete a crapload of garbage before work,come home,and do it all over again.
As for changing my address , not an option.I have had the same account for many years and am known by it and it is on my business cards
Just sucks

Apr 4, 2002 at 10:01 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by rickcr42
As for multiple mailboxes , I have five
Two are mine,one is business only,one for my wife and the other two for my children.

2+1+1+2=6
evil_smiley.gif

wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back