Friend Looking For "Bass Heavy" Headphones
Jul 20, 2011 at 1:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

kenellenberg2

New Head-Fier
My friend is looking for some new headphones since his cat destroyed his. The request is to find a pair that have a lot of bottom end. Price is not an issue, but powering them is. He will be using a cell phone most of the time, without a portable amp. Suggestions for bass heavy headphones?

Jul 20, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #2 of 19
There are a few good choices for this.

If his real goal is maximum bass, the best choice would probably be the Sony XB-500 or XB-700.  There have been quite a few impressions of both around here--the consensus seems to be that the 500 is all bass all the time, but the 700 has overall better sound quality.

If you can find one, the DBI Pro 700 is an awesome choice, and would also be cat proof.  They only turn up occasionally, though.

The Ultrasone HFI-580 is also commonly recommended as a super-bass headphone, as is the Beyer DT770 Pro 80.

Between those, he should be able to find something that will satisfy his need for noggin shakin'

Jul 20, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #3 of 19

Quote:
There are a few good choices for this.

If his real goal is maximum bass, the best choice would probably be the Sony XB-500 or XB-700.  There have been quite a few impressions of both around here--the consensus seems to be that the 500 is all bass all the time, but the 700 has overall better sound quality.

If you can find one, the DBI Pro 700 is an awesome choice, and would also be cat proof.  They only turn up occasionally, though.

The Ultrasone HFI-580 is also commonly recommended as a super-bass headphone, as is the Beyer DT770 Pro 80.

Between those, he should be able to find something that will satisfy his need for noggin shakin'

Cat proof you say? Any chance you could tell me more about these? Thank you for the help.

Jul 21, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #5 of 19
Denon AH-D1100 will serve him well.

Great bass, soundstage and instrument separation.

Very comfortable, considered portable. They don't require amplification.

As for cat-proof, there is no object in the world that can survive a pet attack when the animal in question is determined to destroy
wink.gif

Jul 23, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #7 of 19

Quote:
Hmm Sony XB-1000 thing has a freakin 70mm driver, has to be imported tho.

Driver size doesn't equate bass quality or quantity.

Ultrasone Pro 900 have 40mm drivers and are considered by many people to be "bass monsters", so to speak, some of the best bass emphasized headphones available. Also, they're easy to drive and can be used on portable devices.

Jul 23, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #8 of 19
Heya,

Using a Sony XB series on a phone, means going out likely. I dunno if OP's friend would want to wear those goofy things in public. Just putting that out there.

Since money is no object or budget here, then you might as well just get an amp and open the flood gates of headphone selection. Skip all the steps, skip all the disappointment, bypass getting something that won't satisfy, and go straight to the basshead monster Ultrasone Pro 900 and get a small portable amp to help push them (even though they don't need an amp, I find an amp helps them really punch out more rich bass). So for an amp, nab a simple FiiO E11. Phone -> FiiO E11 -> US Pro 900. Worth it. Every penny. If you want some serious quality and some monstrous bass.

If budget does become a problem, Ultrasone HFI 580, or AudioTechnica Pro700 MKII. Pick one based on comfort and/or style. Quality of sound overall, I'll put towards the 580. Monstrocity of bass, I'll point towards the Pro700MKII.

But seriously, if money isn't tight, just skip the steps and get the Ultrasone Pro 900.

Very best,

Jul 23, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #9 of 19
Cool. I know of someone on another forum who's wanting to get a pair of headphones. He wanted to get the Beats studio hd for 180 but his parents wouldn't let him because it's too expensive. For something less than 60 bucks I advised him on the sony xb500/700 and sony mdr-v6 and sennheiser HD438.

hm.

Jul 25, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #10 of 19
It looks like out of the suggestions he is going for a pair of Sony XB-___, depending on which ones he can afford. Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I guess he doesn't mind walking around with those big things. Still hope there is time to make him see there is more than just bass.

Jul 27, 2011 at 5:46 AM Post #13 of 19
xb500 hooked up to an e11. Yes, I hear ya on the 1000's but trust me, this setup is enough that if you put this around the belly of a pregnant woman, then the baby might die due to shaken baby syndrome. These things rumble!

Jul 27, 2011 at 7:56 AM Post #14 of 19

Quote:
xb500 hooked up to an e11. Yes, I hear ya on the 1000's but trust me, this setup is enough that if you put this around the belly of a pregnant woman, then the baby might die due to shaken baby syndrome. These things rumble, completely ignoring the rest of the sound spectrum!

Fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back