Frank Sinatra - The Capitol Years Boxed Set
Mar 16, 2008 at 7:26 AM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just ordered this imported (EMI International) 21-CD boxed set with all of Sinatra's Capitol Records releases.

Amazon.com: The Capitol Years: Frank Sinatra: Music

I know that Capitol released its own boxed set called Concepts. Most of the reviews I read seemed to indicate that the EMI set was a bit better. I picked it for that reason and the fact that it is still in print and the Capitol set has been discontinued.

I was wondering if there are any members here who own the EMI set and would care to comment on it. I'll be happy to add my own thoughts once my set arrives.

Thanks.

--Jerome

I have no idea how I missed this thread. I own the 21 CD EMI set, some of the Larry Walsh discs from 1987 and some of the Bob Norberg remasters you can find in the stores. FWIW, the EMI set is probably the best version of the albums you can find on CD and the only set I recommend to people wanting to buy Sinatra's Capitol Years output. I believe there are three concepts box sets - one in 1991 (done by Larry Walsh), one in 1994 (done by Bob Norberg in 20bit) and one in 1998 (also by Norberg but now done in 24bit). AVOID THE CONCEPTS BOX SETS REMASTERED BY BOB NORBERG!!!! Both Norberg sets are overly processed with bad EQ and too much noise reduction and echo.

The sound of the EMI set is clean and it is not over processed. They all seem to be sourced from the EMI master dubs (dubs of the masters held by Capitol) which is both good and bad. Good because EMI didn't over process or NoNoise them like Bob Norberg did for the Concepts Box Set. Bad because they still got some things wrong with a few of the albums and because the tapes are at least a generation down from the actual masters.

It's sad how my favorite album - Songs For Swingin' Lovers - is also messed up. It sounds very similar to the Larry Walsh remaster but just a tad dryer. That album should have no echo on it. It is obvious that the source tape was the post 1961 master with added echo and what not.

Here is what it should sound like.

Notice how dry the recording is and how different it sounds from the CD releases. Very little echo. Sinatra's voice also sounds more life-like.
biggrin.gif
All of the CD versions, including the MFSL, were sourced from the bad tapes. All vinyl post-1961 is also sourced from the bad tapes. If you want to hear any other song from that album and how it should sound, feel free to ask and I'll post another clip.

The best way to hear Songs For Swingin' Lovers is from an original 1950's west coast gray label vinyl pressing.

There are better versions of all of these albums but you'll have to resort to vinyl to get the better versions. As far as CD's go, the EMI box set is the very best.

Regardless, I feel this set it the best set for the Capitol Years material on CD. If you want to hear what the master tapes sound like buy this CD. It has some of the best sounding Sinatra you will ever hear.

The Columbia set you got is SUPERB! I have yet to buy it but I have sampled a few of those CD's and they sound wonderful. Considering the age of the recordings, the work they did on the Columbia set is top notch.

As for his Reprise years, the suitcase set and the plain box set both feature the same mastering. Only the packaging is different. The sound on the Reprise set is also a little off at times but it is no slacker. A set well worth getting if you can find one.

Just my 2 cents.
biggrin.gif

Mar 16, 2008 at 12:35 PM Post #17 of 29
Thanks for the very informative post. That also explains why my vinyl copy of Songs for Swingin' Lovers! sounds exactly like the CD. And in case anyone was wondering, this has not dampened my enthusiasm for the Capitol Years boxed set. Since I did not have an original 1950s vinyl pressing of SFSL! (mine is an early 1980s reissue) I had no reference, and to be honest I was quite pleased with the way the vinyl I have (and the CD) of this title sounds. I understand what LFF is saying about the slight echo, but I don't find that to be ham-fisted at all. I'm just not that anal about it I suppose. What I did object to was the compressed and synthetic sound of the late 90s CD issue of the same title.

I've listened to most of the CDs in this set and am very happy with the purchase and the sound quality, and I heartily recommend it to anyone interested in acquiring Sinatra's Capitol output. You can always dedicate yourself to getting 50s vinyl, but it is getting harder and harder to find vinyl examples from that period that are not shot to hell.

--Jerome

Mar 16, 2008 at 2:43 PM Post #18 of 29
I was just about to come in here and ask a Sinatra question.

I could have sworn there was a Sinatra version of Unforgettable, but I haven't been too successful finding a Sinatra album with this song on it. I would have thought it would be easy, but when I went to the record store, I just couldn't find it. I may have missed it as there were tons of CD's to go through though.

If anyone can help me narrow my search down, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Mar 16, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Thanks for the very informative post. That also explains why my vinyl copy of Songs for Swingin' Lovers! sounds exactly like the CD. And in case anyone was wondering, this has not dampened my enthusiasm for the Capitol Years boxed set. Since I did not have an original 1950s vinyl pressing of SFSL! (mine is an early 1980s reissue) I had no reference, and to be honest I was quite pleased with the way the vinyl I have (and the CD) of this title sounds. I understand what LFF is saying about the slight echo, but I don't find that to be ham-fisted at all. I'm just not that anal about it I suppose. What I did object to was the compressed and synthetic sound of the late 90s CD issue of the same title.

I've listened to most of the CDs in this set and am very happy with the purchase and the sound quality, and I heartily recommend it to anyone interested in acquiring Sinatra's Capitol output. You can always dedicate yourself to getting 50s vinyl, but it is getting harder and harder to find vinyl examples from that period that are not shot to hell.

--Jerome

I also agree that the slight echo isn't ham fisted. Like I said before - the EMI box set is the best version of these albums on CD. These CD's sound nothing like the late 90's reissues done by Norberg. It's like night and day.
wink.gif

Jerome is completely right about the 1950's vinyl as well. It is VERY hard finding original Sinatra pressings that are not shot to hell. You need to find 50 + year old records that were rarely played and kept in mint condition. You must either get very lucky or pay dearly for that privilege. I went through more than 25 copies of Songs For Swigin' Lovers before I found a mint pressing with no groove wear. Out of all the Capitol Years records, I have only 3 or 4 of them in mint condition. Hard? YES, but the sound on these albums is completely worth it for me.

However, I would have to agree that the easiest way to get quality Sinatra on CD is to get that EMI set.
icon10.gif

Mar 16, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by odoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was just about to come in here and ask a Sinatra question.

I could have sworn there was a Sinatra version of Unforgettable, but I haven't been too successful finding a Sinatra album with this song on it. I would have thought it would be easy, but when I went to the record store, I just couldn't find it. I may have missed it as there were tons of CD's to go through though.

If anyone can help me narrow my search down, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

I can honestly say I don't remember. I think there is a live version but I can't recall if he ever did a studio version.

Mar 17, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #23 of 29
Someone requested a clip of "I've Got You Under My Skin".

So...here it is.

EDIT: The clip is from the original 1950's vinyl NOT from the EMI box set.

Mar 17, 2008 at 11:30 AM Post #24 of 29
And here is a clip of the same song from the CD in the EMI boxed set for those who would like to compare.

I've Got You Under My Skin EMI CD Clip

Call me a heathen if you wish, but I actually prefer the sound of the CD.

--Jerome

NOTE: To those who are whining about the price...please stop posting if that is all you have to say. I didn't start this thread to discuss the economic value of this set, I started it to discuss the music. Thanks.

Mar 17, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #25 of 29
Heathen!!!!!!
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

That's the nicest thing that's been said to me today!
wink.gif

--Jerome

LOL!

A lot of people prefer the CD versions. Some people swear by the MFSL CD. Different strokes for different folks. As long as you enjoy the music - that's what counts. Of all the CD versions, I also prefer the EMI version.

Mar 17, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Well, I only prefer the EMI CD version. Give me some credit...I'm not THAT much of a heathen.
biggrin.gif

--Jerome

IMHO - your really not. The EMI CD is very close to the sound of the original vinyl. It's funny how the EMI is made from second or third generation tape copies yet it sounds A WHOLE LOT better than the domestic Norberg version sourced from the same (or earlier generation) tape.
eek.gif

Just goes to show how important good (re)mastering really is.

IMHO, the EMI set is a bargain. You simply can't get a better sounding set of Sinatra's Capitol Years anywhere else. The MFSL vinyl sounds great too but is usually sold for more than the EMI set. FWIW, the MFSL vinyl set used the wrong tapes as well on some of the mono albums.
rolleyes.gif

I wrote a blog article long ago about how wonderful the EMI set is. It really surprises me that so few people have heard about this set let alone own the set. The EMI Only The Lonely is superb! Moreover, once you get the EMI set, you'll own almost all of his Capitol Years output (missing Can Can OST, Pal Joey OST, High Society OST, Sinatra Conducts Tone Poems of Color, A Jolly Christmas and some singles found on the complete capitol singles box set).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back