Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jan 31, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #9,676 of 12,089
Is it just me? I like the headphones, but I don't feel these headphones are of the quality to spend a ton of time modding, tuning, and pad swapping (or the expense). They're nice for what they are...and a little more comfort is a definite bonus, but that is about it.

Jan 31, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #9,677 of 12,089
I have no friends into headphones the way I am. I got some started, but none have developed 'a problem' lIke me. So, There are those.

Then I have many who never listen to music or use apple buds I put headphones on to blow their mind.

To a person after my HE-1000 they next like my Ether (soon to become a Flow C), or pretty equally the TH-X00. That validates my opinion of them, and why I'll be doing a removable cable mod.

Jan 31, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #9,678 of 12,089
I agree that the removable cable mod is worth the trouble. I mean for f sake why couldn't they bring it by DEFAULT! Why is it so hard to implement as a standard feature. :frowning2:  Everything else, i'm not sure (pads, some dampening, etc)

Jan 31, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #9,679 of 12,089
Is it just me? I like the headphones, but I don't feel these headphones are of the quality to spend a ton of time modding, tuning, and pad swapping (or the expense). They're nice for what they are...and a little more comfort is a definite bonus, but that is about it.

Agree with you here but for me the stock ear pads really s - - k, TH-600 pads are just fine for me.

Quote:
I have no friends into headphones the way I am. I got some started, but none have developed 'a problem' lIke me. So, There are those.

Then I have many who never listen to music or use apple buds I put headphones on to blow their mind.

To a person after my HE-1000 they next like my Ether (soon to become a Flow C), or pretty equally the TH-X00. That validates my opinion of them, and why I'll be doing a removable cable mod.

Listened to my friends HE-1K and HE-1Kv2, didn't care for either of them, too polite for the V2 and lacking bass on the original.  Two other headfi members who have the Ether and Ether C both liked my custom Ypsilon build better and both have since sold their Ethers.

I agree that the removable cable mod is worth the trouble. I mean for f sake why couldn't they bring it by DEFAULT! Why is it so hard to implement as a standard feature. :frowning2:  Everything else, i'm not sure (pads, some dampening, etc)

Agree, removable cables should be considered standard on all headphones over $75, which type of connector is the question.

Jan 31, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #9,684 of 12,089
I don't remember filling anything out when I bought them last year. How do I go about registering my warranty?

No need. Just keep your Massdrop invoice.

Jan 31, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #9,686 of 12,089
I'm having a really enjoyable evening.  I just got the TH-X00's from Massdrop today and they are even better than I hoped they would be in terms of sound quality.  I wish the pads felt a little softer on my noggin but I am hoping they will break in over time and that's really my only quibble.  Otherwise, what a smooth and lovely sound these cans have!  

And if you were wondering, yes, they pair very nicely with the Fostex HP-A4BL!

Jan 31, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #9,687 of 12,089
  Got ZMF Ori pads in the mail, man they feel very soft in hands. I installed one Ori pad on the left side and lefted the right side stock, I listened to a few tracks I am very familiar with. The differences are there: Ori Pads sound little more open, clear, and less congested than stock pad. I lost about less than 5% mid bass hump. The comfort level is greatly improved compare to stock pads. To my surprise, Ori pads actually improved sound quality (YMMV) instead took a hit. I am very happy with the sound. If I really nick pick on them, which I usually do with new gears, is one pad has more (leather) wrinkle than the other. 

PS, I have the ebony version, guys have the mahogany version MAY find these pads little hot on the HF compare to stock pads.

I just saw your post after I made mine.  It might be worth it to me to spend the $60 on the Ori pads for the increase in comfort as I really like the sound I am getting out of the TH-X00's.

Jan 31, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #9,689 of 12,089
  Was thinking to get the TH600. Do you guys think it's a big improvement over the THX00?

one vote here for the TH-600 over the TH-X00, just couldn't get the pads to seal well with the TH-X00, TH-600 pads way more comfortable for me.  Also, over all sound was cleaner on the TH-600 but this is probably due to the issues I had with the pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back