Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 24, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #9,376 of 12,089

Bought a pilot pad intended for ZMF Vibro MKll purpleheart instead it went above.:nerd:

Not advisable for large head!!!

Is this one http://www.zmfheadphones.com/pads-and-cables/pilot-pad the same as what you got there in the picture? I've been looking for something like that.

Dec 24, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #9,377 of 12,089
How big of a different between mahogany and purpleheart? With purpleheart is currently being drop at massdrop is it worth getting another one?

I currently have the mahogany and emu teak the difference between them are not that big imho.

I brought my Purpleheart headphones to a meet earlier this year where one of the members had the original Mahogany. While I found the difference to be much greater than I expected, the differences were still subtle. It was more that I was accustomed to my headphone such that the difference to me seemed more dramatic.

I certainly would not advise the purchase of Purpleheart if you are seeking a vastly different sound from you Mahogany. That said, I'm still interested in the Ebony :wink_face:  

Is the bass in purpleheart noticeably stronger/better/more fun than mahogany like the frequency measurements graph shown?

Dec 24, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #9,378 of 12,089
How big of a different between mahogany and purpleheart? With purpleheart is currently being drop at massdrop is it worth getting another one?

I currently have the mahogany and emu teak the difference between them are not that big imho.

Thanks for asking this, I've been wondering the same exact thing after just getting a mahogany...but for what it's worth, I'm saving for a th900 now. I want the extra subbass and sounstage and it supposedly brings to the table. I've heard the mahogany described as "purplehearts light", which to me suggests the purpleheart and mahogany are the most similar pair. I've been expanding my musical library now though, and think the fun/refined sound of the mahogany is close to perfect for what it is. Seems like teak is most "refined", purpleheart is most "fun", mahogany is in between.

...someone back me up or correct me since I'm just working off extensive reading.

Dec 24, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #9,379 of 12,089

Bought a pilot pad intended for ZMF Vibro MKll purpleheart instead it went above.:nerd:

Not advisable for large head!!!

I went this same route. Bought the ZMF Pilot Pad and Eikon pads and true to an earlier impression, the pads do retain most of the signature of the original pads with much improved comfort. I have the original, Alpha, TH600/900, Brainwavz (hybrid and angular), and D2000 pads, so soon I'd like to do some comparisons.

I wear a 7 5/8" hat and with the pilot pad on the PH,I have the adjusters fully extended and I get a perfect fit. The pilot pad feels like a pillow on your head and makes the headphone MUCH more comfortable, though it's not dramatically that uncomfortable in stock form.

Dec 24, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #9,380 of 12,089

Thanks for asking this, I've been wondering the same exact thing after just getting a mahogany...but for what it's worth, I'm saving for a th900 now. I want the extra subbass and sounstage and it supposedly brings to the table. I've heard the mahogany described as "purplehearts light", which to me suggests the purpleheart and mahogany are the most similar pair. I've been expanding my musical library now though, and think the fun/refined sound of the mahogany is close to perfect for what it is. Seems like teak is most "refined", purpleheart is most "fun", mahogany is in between.

...someone back me up or correct me since I'm just working off extensive reading.

I think I'm aftering the same thing as you are, moreeee rumble moarrrr subbassss. I guess the next logical upgrade would be TH900 (or Audeze LCDs) and not to be distracted by the X00 variants which only differ by a little bit between them.

Dec 24, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #9,381 of 12,089
After swapping pads, I've noticed that the foam tuning ring on my X00s is slightly out of place on both sides. I've tried to rotate it to align with the screws, but I can't get it to work and I don't want to ruin anything. Anyone have experience with this? @fjrabon
@Whitigir

Lol, how did you know to call out to me ? :D

Ok, the problem is that the foam rings are glued to the drivers. This is soft epoxy, you will be ok by peeling it away slowly and easily

Dec 24, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #9,382 of 12,089
  I guess the next logical upgrade would be TH900 (or Audeze LCDs) and not to be distracted by the X00 variants which only differ by a little bit between them.

good thinking.. i did the same, got me a pair of th900 mk2 and sold my purplehearts.. most likely my last pair of headphones as well.

i dont understand why some individuals buy all three of the x00's.

Dec 24, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #9,383 of 12,089

I guess the next logical upgrade would be TH900 (or Audeze LCDs) and not to be distracted by the X00 variants which only differ by a little bit between them.

good thinking.. i did the same, got me a pair of th900 mk2 and sold my purplehearts.. most likely my last pair of headphones as well.

You gotta catch'em all 

X00 X00EB X00PH EMU-TEAK TH600 TH610 TH900 preferably Denons D2000 D5000 and D7000 :p

Dec 24, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #9,384 of 12,089

You gotta catch'em all 

X00 X00EB X00PH EMU-TEAK TH600 TH610 TH900 preferably Denons D2000 D5000 and D7000 :p

don't forget buying all the EMU cups as well.  And then the upcoming Denon D7200.

Dec 24, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #9,385 of 12,089
Is the bass in purpleheart noticeably stronger/better/more fun than mahogany like the frequency measurements graph shown?

A little warmer, and also a little more U-shaped. The person at the meet owns Mahogany and HD600, while I own Purpleheart and HD650. Both headphones fit our personalities well, I think. I cannot say more rumble strictly, because it did something on both ends, low and high. More rumble would be obvious if it only added to the bass, but it also changed the treble slightly.

Dec 24, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #9,386 of 12,089

I had both and tested them for hours and hours and hours.  There is very little difference.  I ended up selling the mahogany because I intend to get the Ebonys when they come back to Massdrop next time.

Dec 24, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #9,389 of 12,089
Dec 24, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #9,390 of 12,089

This is fantastic feedback. I'll probably keep the mahogany for my girlfriend, but can't wait to get myself a th900 now. In your opinion, are the th900 better in every way?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back