Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
May 16, 2016 at 3:21 AM Post #6,451 of 12,089
Ok guys, I have an idea.

Fostex TH-9XX. 1.5 Tesla TH900 drivers. Tuned to have the same sub-bass as TH900 but with smoother treble this time. Purpleheart wood so no unnecessary cost for Urushi lacquer. Priced at $899. 1.5 metre cable with 3.5mm plug.

What do you think? 

Even if Fostex would allow it...you will still be seeing $1500 price tag

May 16, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #6,452 of 12,089
My pair of X00 finally arrived, Putting it on the first time, I know right away I am not a fan of eggshell protein. I changed them to Audio Technica AD1000X or AD900X velour earpads. I also tried Hifiman focus pads. I just like velour better. It feels less hot and sweaty. 

May 16, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #6,453 of 12,089
I consider myself lucky that I can't tell a difference between more expensive DACs and amps (if there is a difference). I just sold my Lyr 2 and Bifrost Multibit and "downgraded" to a Vali 2 and Modi 2 Uber. I'm using the difference to get my TH-X00 modded for a detachable cable, getting the stock cable shortened, getting a custom cable for the TH-X00 and a custom cable for my IEMs...with $300 leftover.

How did you come to the conclusion that you couldn't tell the difference?  Blind testing?

I'd be interested in see pictures of your modded TH-X00, also what type of connectors are you going with? SMC? 2.5mm TRS? other?

There are some on other threads that say its a huge difference between Modi2uber and Bifrost MB, to me there is a difference but its not "huge", not just anyone could notice it and on some headphones there is no difference while on others its a little easier to notice.

I'm sure there is a difference, even if it isn't very obvious. I can't really discern a huge difference which is why I said I consider myself lucky; or maybe my wallet is lucky.

For the mod I'm getting 2.5mm TRS connectors.

May 16, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #6,454 of 12,089
I'm sure there is a difference, even if it isn't very obvious. I can't really discern a huge difference which is why I said I consider myself lucky; or maybe my wallet is lucky.

For the mod I'm getting 2.5mm TRS connectors.

Thanks for the reply.  I was going to cancel my order for the TH-X00 after hearing from @BB 808, said that since I had the TH-600 its not that big a difference but my GF said she will pay for it so I'm not going to argue with her.  I will also mod them with SMC connectors since I've used them on the TH-600, SennGrado's and SR-225e.

May 16, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #6,455 of 12,089
900$ with a 3.5mm? I like 1/4inch 
Removable cable would be better to at least allow easier modding for people who must have 3.5

Edit: I just got my TH-x00 today. I am actually a bit surprised how much I like them. I think its because I have recently had a bad experience with massdrop and it left a very bad taste in mouth, I was kinda expecting this drop to go poorly somehow. 

I am having a hard time finding anything negative (in the forums) negative about these cans. The cable, which I like. The ear pads, which fit me great. The simblince, which I haven't noticed yet. Is that it? 

May 16, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #6,457 of 12,089
Thanks for the reply.  I was going to cancel my order for the TH-X00 after hearing from @BB 808
, said that since I had the TH-600 its not that big a difference but my GF said she will pay for it so I'm not going to argue with her.  I will also mod them with SMC connectors since I've used them on the TH-600, SennGrado's and SR-225e.

SMC will be the smart (but somewhat cumbersome) way to go since you leave the baffle and cup intact. The 2.5mm is highly viable but requires baffle and cup modification, smc doesnt.

Also I tested the TH600 and the THX00 sounded different. Especially in the mids and slightly less sharp treble. TH600 had more overall bass presence more detailed highs.

Heres my THX00 with modded 2.5mm

May 16, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #6,458 of 12,089
SMC will be the smart (but somewhat cumbersome) way to go since you leave the baffle and cup intact. The 2.5mm is highly viable but requires baffle and cup modification, smc doesnt.

Also I tested the TH600 and the THX00 sounded different. Especially in the mids and slightly less sharp treble. TH600 had more overall bass presence more detailed highs.

Nice, I didn't want to do any messing with the baffle and cup frame to fit the 2.5mm jack as you noted, but I'm one of the few that like the SMC connector, its much more secure IMO.

May 16, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #6,459 of 12,089
  Nice, I didn't want to do any messing with the baffle and cup frame to fit the 2.5mm jack as you noted, but I'm one of the few that like the SMC connector, its much more secure IMO.

I'm with you there buddy, I also like the SMC connector. I had a TH 900 modified to use SMC connectors at the cup.

May 16, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #6,460 of 12,089
I went with 3.5 mm because I already had good cables with does plugs but it did require a bunch of cutting, so if anyone doesn't want to mess with the drivers and cups very much I recommend to go with smc connectors

May 16, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #6,461 of 12,089
I went with 3.5 mm because I already had good cables with does plugs but it did require a bunch of cutting, so if anyone doesn't want to mess with the drivers and cups very much I recommend to go with smc connectors

Good reasoning since you had the 2.5mm cables, similar reason for me to go with the SMC, I have 7 cables with SMC connector, 4 that are 10ft long, 1 that is 6ft, 2 that are 3ft.

May 16, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #6,462 of 12,089
So i'm thinking of selling my he-400's (400's, not 400i's) for a pair of th-x00. Is this a good idea? I heard it would be more of a sidegrade but what makes me not like the he-400 as much as i could (i still enjoy them a lot) would be the recessed mids and the harsh treble. Would this be alleviated with the th-x00? 

Also have the original magni/modi, would these pair well? Idk whether to sell them along with the he-400 or not

May 17, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #6,463 of 12,089
I received mine today, out of the box the sound is awesome even though I don't think it blows my AKG K553 away, they have got different presentation but the TH-X00 definitely slams harder than the K553 which I prefer with most of my music. The unit looks amazing and the sound quality right out of the box paired with the CEntrance Dacport Slim is great. This is probably my end game headphones in at least a few years :) 

May 17, 2016 at 3:37 AM Post #6,464 of 12,089
I happily report, that after 40-50 hrs burn in the initial 'out of the box' sharpness of the sound (mostly the treble) seems to become much smoother. I will report back after I reached 200 hrs with another slightly more detailed comparison to X2.

May 17, 2016 at 4:42 AM Post #6,465 of 12,089
  I happily report, that after 40-50 hrs burn in the initial 'out of the box' sharpness of the sound (mostly the treble) seems to become much smoother. I will report back after I reached 200 hrs with another slightly more detailed comparison to X2.

Really looking forward to your long-term impressions! Whetting my appetite until my Purplehearts show up :)

Too bad you don't have T50RP Mk3's (I think you don't).......THAT'S a comparison I'd like to see. My bone-stock Mk3's are amazingly good, not even factoring in the low price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back