Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Apr 6, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #5,896 of 12,089
Say hello to (what I call) the TH-X00W. It has painted (and dampened) TH600 cups with 2.5mm detachable cables. Credit goes to PETEREK for the jaw dropping job on these babies!

I may be selling my mahogany cups soon haha 
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #5,897 of 12,089
Probably just as well though as they are utter rubbish, mine lasted all of 10 minutes before it started cutting out. Luckily I had a good quality one on hand immediately. Anybody buying the 00's and wish to use them into a 3.5mm input then get yourself something decent in preparation. IMO of course

The included Monoprice adapter is poor quality and whenever I move the cable a little bit I get noises or sound cutting out. I am still waiting for my 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter cable from Norne cause right now I am in AZ on vacation but absolutely in love with my Fostex TH-X00 and X3/mojo stack. It is worth dealing with the cheapie adapter for a few days.

If I was starting out on Head-fi all over again I'd probably tell someone to just get the X3II and Mojo and be done with it. But they would never know the joy of tubes or OTL amps and how they pair with high impedance cans like the HD600 or 800. For low impedance cans like the TH-X00 the Mojo has enough power but I think the HD600 isnt as good of a pairing with the Mojo. Needs a standalone amp

Apr 6, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #5,899 of 12,089
Hi guys newbie here. I am looking at the purple hearts and I am very tempted to buy it it's torturing me. Is the purple hearts going to be a huge upgrade from my PSB m4u1? I also own a Sony mdr 7506. I like the sound signature of both of my headphones. Thanks

Apr 6, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #5,900 of 12,089
Thanks for posting this, was hoping to see this set of measurements from Ty. He previously did TH-900 and TH-600 too. Flipping back & forth all 3 have similar 30 Hz square waves. TH-600 and TH-900 frequency response and 300 Hz square waves are similar. Seems most difference is maybe the TH-X00 frequency response & 300 Hz square waves compared to other 2, but still really close.

Would like to see Ty do same measurements for TH-610, TH-X00 Purple Heart, E-MU Teak, E-MU Rosewood and E-MU Ebony next !

Maybe we can also convince him to do a listening summary review of the 8 types comparatively, like he did with the Denon AH-D2000/5000/7000 models.

Apr 6, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #5,901 of 12,089
Apr 6, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #5,903 of 12,089
  Damn those looks sexy. Did the cup swap change the sound much? I'm curious how much the cups affect the sound with the PH coming soon

The most noticeable changes were deeper sub bass and sharper highs when I first installed them (before sending them to PETEREK). They are now dampened to tame the treble a little, so I'll report back once they are back in my possession.

Apr 6, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #5,904 of 12,089

The most noticeable changes were deeper sub bass and sharper highs when I first installed them (before sending them to PETEREK). They are now dampened to tame the treble a little, so I'll report back once they are back in my possession.

Sounds very cool, please keep us appraised of the differences between the mahogany and purpleheart 
basshead.gif
.   Are these cup changes very noticeable and is the sound definitely more v-shaped?  Is the bass tighter?  Some have said it has a, "tighter more focused sound overall."  Is this true or some good old fashion turd polishing on a headphone that's sound signature is more akin to the TH-600 than the Mahogany?

As a frugal, young aspiring audiophile dude... surviving in this dog eat dog world, constantly held down by the man.... destined to live in mid-fi perdition.......  Will the TH-X00 ph be a (end)game changer, specifically to pair with a good set of neutral open cans and a schiit magni2u?

Apr 6, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #5,905 of 12,089
Sounds very cool, please keep us appraised of the differences between the mahogany and purpleheart :basshead: .   Are these cup changes very noticeable and is the sound definitely more v-shaped?  Is the bass tighter?  Some have said it has a, "tighter more focused sound overall."  Is this true or some good old fashion turd polishing on a headphone that's sound signature is more akin to the TH-600 than the Mahogany?

As a frugal, young aspiring audiophile dude... surviving in this dog eat dog world, constantly held down by the man.... destined to live in mid-fi perdition.......  Will the TH-X00 ph be a (end)game changer, specifically to pair with a good set of neutral open cans and a schiit magni2u?

Sorry man. It's been too long since hearing them with the mahogany cups, plus I have never heard the 600. I bought the metal cups since they were hella cheap and wanted a unique looking pair after painting and dampening them. Did all this because, yes, to me they are end game-ish for mid-fi closed cans and will be keeping them for a good long while.

Maybe PETEREK can explain a little more (in detail) as to the sound differences when compared to the mahogany. He had some stock X00s to reference from, I believe, when I had him dampen the 600 cups. All I can say, personally, is already in my prior post.

Apr 6, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #5,906 of 12,089
Sorry man. It's been too long since hearing them with the mahogany cups, plus I have never heard the 600. I bought the metal cups since they were hella cheap and wanted a unique looking pair after painting and dampening them. Did all this because, yes, to me they are end game-ish for mid-fi closed cans and will be keeping them for a good long while.

Maybe PETEREK can explain a little more (in detail) as to the sound differences when compared to the mahogany. He had some stock X00s to reference from, I believe, when I had him dampen the 600 cups. All I can say, personally, is already in my prior post.

Just got confirmation that my headphone in its current state sounds 99.9% like the X00 now after slight dampening.

The major difference between the X00 and 600 is the rounder pads. Sound differences from the cups is only slight.

Apr 7, 2016 at 5:04 AM Post #5,907 of 12,089
Sorry if this has been asked before but I ran a search and didn't seem to find the answer.  I'm on the TH-X00 Purpleheart drop (from Mahogany) but also noticed that there was an E-MU Teak/Rosewood/Ebony before as well.  Just wondering if anyone here knows what drivers are used the E-MU's and if the TH-X00 is the same?  Would be interested to know which one is the 'higher' grade headphone.

Apr 7, 2016 at 5:26 AM Post #5,908 of 12,089
The Rosewood headphones look amazing, but if I absolutely disliked, and I do mean loathed, the sound of the Denon AH-D2000 even with J$ pads, I'm not going to like this one either, will I? :frowning2:

(For reference, I use Ultrasone Pro 900 now, which are also large enough to comfortably wrap my entire ear, and a pair of in-ear Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10...)

Apr 7, 2016 at 6:09 AM Post #5,910 of 12,089
  ​between the mahogany and purplehearts, which will sound better on metal music, I'm loving pm-3 but after some careful consideration decided to move up a level for the sake if listening to metal music

You're overplaying the differences, they'll be subtle at best between the woods and can be changed using different pads. No one knows which is better, they'll both be good. I'm using some pads off ebay for my TH-X00 and I prefer them, they take away a bit of bass but add soundstage and clarity for me.

PM-3 kinda bores me with metal, it's not bad but TH-X00 is way more fun. Like I said in the other thread vocals are much clearer on the TH-X00. PM-3 is quite congested in comparison with its small soundstage. PM-3 is quite thick and dry which makes guitars sound decent, but I prefer them on the TH-X00 with more sparkle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back