Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Nov 30, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #871 of 12,086
For anyone wondering, it is entirely possible to mod detachable cables onto Fostex TH-X00 series headphones. The two most popular options are Sennheiser HD800 connectors and Hifiman SMC connectors. I will post a photo of my TH600's that I had @PETEREK do for me. It is a fairly inexpensive and quick procedure as well.

(Other mods shown are Lawton Audio Level 1 Mod, Martin Custom Audio Cocobolo Deep Cups, and additional Beyerdynamic Headpad)

Personally I would love to get my hands on a pair of TH-X00's at some point and do all the same mods to them as my old TH-600's, minus changing the beautiful cups of course

- InsanityOne 
darthsmile.gif

Nov 30, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #875 of 12,086
1821 and I am in.....can't hold out any longer....I am a fan of bio-cell membrane, so...I was deciding between this and th900 used. But it seems this one once modded will be better than th900 :D. Especially the spiked trebles. Looking toward to modding with removable 3.5 female connectors and light dampening. Also looked like I prefer this less bass than th900 which is almost bass head level.

Nov 30, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #876 of 12,086
  I think that the remainder will go quickly due to FOMO (fear of missing out).

This FOMO thing is real. I'm sitting here with the TH600 wanting to sell them, waiting for my Nighthawk's to arrive, and yet still hemming and hawing over whether to get these. There is no sane reason for me to buy them.

Nov 30, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #877 of 12,086

This FOMO thing is real. I'm sitting here with the TH600 wanting to sell them, waiting for my Nighthawk's to arrive, and yet still hemming and hawing over whether to get these. There is no sane reason for me to buy them.

Yes there is, we will all be discussing our exploration of them together! Sounds like a sane reason to me
L3000.gif

Nov 30, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #878 of 12,086
  Yes there is, we will all be discussing our exploration of them together! Sounds like a sane reason to me
L3000.gif

You are evil....

(another TH-600 owner with FOMO here...)

Nov 30, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #879 of 12,086
If there was any material, I would have not only explained there was material, but included it in my main picture of the taken apart earcup as well.  All that was taken apart was shown in the main picture - no insulating or dampening material was inside of the earcup housing.

Could I ask why they tie the wire in a knot to keep it from stressing the connection? To me that seems a strange way rather address it correctly.

Nov 30, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #880 of 12,086
  I think that the remainder will go quickly due to FOMO (fear of missing out).

I got a case of FOMO when I saw them go from 200 to 700 in about a half hour. But also realize this headphone will no doubt get multiple runs. And multiple like new units hitting the for sale threads. 

But I want mine now, so just order the first run anyway and be done with it. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 30, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #881 of 12,086
Could I ask why they tie the wire in a knot to keep it from stressing the connection? To me that seems a strange way rather address it correctly.

To hold it in place, and withstand the pulling forces from someone accidentally step on the wires and standing up at the same time. Sony also did that with several headphones. It is a common practice among heapdhones manufacturers

Nov 30, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #882 of 12,086
1821 and I am in.....can't hold out any longer....I am a fan of bio-cell membrane, so...I was deciding between this and th900 used. But it seems this one once modded will be better than th900
biggrin.gif
. Especially the spiked trebles. Looking toward to modding with removable 3.5 female connectors and light dampening. Also looked like I prefer this less bass than th900 which is almost bass head level.

welcome to the club brother 
beerchug.gif

Nov 30, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #884 of 12,086
To hold it in place, and withstand the pulling forces from someone accidentally step on the wires and standing up at the same time. Sony also did that with several headphones. It is a common practice among heapdhones manufacturers

I think Fostex makes headphones for Sony.

So lets say it is common practice for Fostex and I don't think there is any thing wrong with it.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back