Fostex TH900 mods
Jan 14, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #196 of 344

On mine there is no ringing, even close to max volume, just clean, deep subterranean earth shaking bass, and aftershakes... wow. I wonder how the CD or high res version would sound...

And that's why this is one of the tracks I use to test bass impact :) Glad you like it! Thanks for the feedback too--looks like there's something going on in my cans...

Jan 29, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #197 of 344
Some current TH900 plots, looks like this is the day for it (check the ebony thread as well).
With my best performing mods: 5 mm thick wool felt damper, Fostex pad with carbon foam filling, no cups filling.

FR:

Distortion:

Impulse/Energy Time Curve:

Waterfall/CSD:

Note the remains of the 3kHz ridge, nothing to worry about now. The one at 9kHz is quite mild as well.

Spectrogram:

It sounds pretty good. Waiting for the Lawton pads.

Jan 30, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #198 of 344
  Some current TH900 plots, looks like this is the day for it (check the ebony thread as well).
With my best performing mods: 5 mm thick wool felt damper, Fostex pad with carbon foam filling, no cups filling.

Looking good! What made you remove the felt from inside the cups?

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #199 of 344
In the cups I've been using Twaron Angelhair in the past months, it sounded better than felt pads in the cups.

But recently I noticed that for whatever reason, perhaps ageing, there is no 3kHz ridge on the CSD any more, so I removed all damping from the cups. Massdrop is not using any damping in the ebony cups either.

Feb 2, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #200 of 344
Well I purchased Afgan Vet's modded TH900.  I should have it here on Saturday per FedEx.  I'll update my thoughts on them when I receive them.  I currently have a stock Denon AH-D7000 to compare them to briefly.  The AH-D7000 will likely go up for sale shortly after.  
beerchug.gif

Feb 3, 2017 at 3:34 AM Post #201 of 344
  Well I purchased Afgan Vet's modded TH900.  I should have it here on Saturday per FedEx.  I'll update my thoughts on them when I receive them.  I currently have a stock Denon AH-D7000 to compare them to briefly.  The AH-D7000 will likely go up for sale shortly after.  
beerchug.gif

I helped him mod those. I hope you enjoy them :)

Feb 4, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #202 of 344
Just got them going to give them a try.  From my 30 second jamming of them not as much bass as the D7000 in stock trim but way larger sound stage in mid range and highs.  He put on those Dekoni pads maybe that eliminates the bass a bit?  There's still a good amount but anyways I'll report back in the upcoming day or two with more listening.  

EDIT: I take back the lack of bass I had my EQ off and I tend to run the sub 250Hz spectrum hot on all my headphones.  Welcome back bass.  :)

Feb 4, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #203 of 344
  Just got them going to give them a try.  From my 30 second jamming of them not as much bass as the D7000 in stock trim but way larger sound stage in mid range and highs.  He put on those Dekoni pads maybe that eliminates the bass a bit?  There's still a good amount but anyways I'll report back in the upcoming day or two with more listening.  

EDIT: I take back the lack of bass I had my EQ off and I tend to run the sub 250Hz spectrum hot on all my headphones.  Welcome back bass.  :)

I started reading this and said to myself "What?  Not as much bass?"  Then I saw your edit, and thought "Good."
I have heard those specific headphones and remember them to be very excellent performers.  But don't ask me to get specific.  It was a year or more ago.  ha ha.  I would have to look Afgan Vet's and my posts from back then to tell you what I thought.

I am pretty confident you will enjoy them very much.

Feb 4, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #204 of 344
  I started reading this and said to myself "What?  Not as much bass?"  Then I saw your edit, and thought "Good."
I have heard those specific headphones and remember them to be very excellent performers.  But don't ask me to get specific.  It was a year or more ago.  ha ha.  I would have to look Afgan Vet's and my posts from back then to tell you what I thought.

I am pretty confident you will enjoy them very much.

Yeah I run 10 to 12dB hot on all my headphones down low to wake them up.  You'd never think a Sennheiser HD600 can have bass but it'll match and outgun a stock TH900/D7000 in bass the way I have them set to run without it bleeding into the mids and highs.  Both TH900/D7000 running hot now it's no contest compared to the HD600 in the bass dept.  I run a Seaton Submersive HP+ in my theater room (google it) so I'm used to pressurizing bass and usually find most headphones lacking sans the Fostex/Denon.  I'll link this thread to a full fledged review later today.  Wife had to go into work this afternoon for a few hours so I'll be jamming these back to back right now.  

Feb 4, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #205 of 344
http://www.head-fi.org/t/834390/10-000-speaker-system-vs-modded-fostex-th900-vs-denon-ah-d7000-vs-sennheiser-hd600-detailed-review

Feel free to give it a read I gave a very detailed review of them against my speaker system and the other headphones in my arsenal.  

Feb 4, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #206 of 344

The pad mod makes the biggest difference. Did he include the carbon foam pads as well? If he did, put those on and give'em a shot :)

Feb 4, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #207 of 344
He did but educate a noob how do you take them off and back on?

Feb 4, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #208 of 344
Feb 5, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #209 of 344
Did anyone try to use the Dekoni pads meant for the TH-X00 on the TH-900? Wondering what your impressions are.

Feb 5, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #210 of 344

Here's a video that shows you how to remove the pads:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjOr2kcQJDk

For the carbon pads, the leather will be loose. Grab the loose leather, instead of the foam stuffing when you are twisting the pads in and out of the slots.

I watched the video.  The Dekoni pads seem to freely spin around I'm afraid I'm going to break something if I push harder and turn.  I took the stock ones (see photo) and put them next to my ear and with my ear size they're going to rest on my ears and likely be uncomfortable.  My first adventure into better headphones was with the Grado SR-80.  I just have a feeling putting those pads on the TH-900 will have the comfort level of a Grado headphone and that's not saying much.  I have the EQ to ramp up the bass and overall it's pretty decent like that.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back