Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Aug 13, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #5,057 of 18,765
Quote:
OK I am getting my T1 demo soon enough. In the UK the new retail price is £880 ($1360 USD) for the T1 vs £1280 ($1977 USD) for the TH900 so it is quite a big factor if they share qualities as forum search tells me...

*using xe.com

Wow, the markets sure are different. I'm not sure I would pay either of those prices for those headphones. Maybe import the TH-900 from PJ or similar? Or try and find a used pair from the states that is willing to ship internationally. Those are STEEP prices. 

Aug 13, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #5,058 of 18,765
Quote:

Wow, the markets sure are different. I'm not sure I pay either of those prices for those headphones. Maybe import the TH-900 from PJ or similar? Or try and find a used pair from the states that is willing to ship internationally. Those are STEEP prices. 

Yeah us Americans sure do have it good in the world of Head-Fi.

Aug 13, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #5,059 of 18,765
Quote:
Would anyone mind giving a ballpark list of amps that people generally find to be good with the TH-900, let's say in the range of $500-2000? Thanks.

Burson Soloist or Conductor.

Aug 13, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #5,060 of 18,765
Importing into the EU is subject to customs duty and for the UK the VAT rate is 20%. HMRC even have the cheek to charge duty on p&p and insurance. I have checked for these models and the net saving hardly makes the effort of importing worth it. Is item specific. AT ES700 definitely worth importing from Japan even if you get hit fully for import and VAT. AT prices outside of Japan are crazy.

Caveat emptor applies should a parcel be marked down in value because you are taking the risk the one time you need to make a courier claim. Anyway it is relative, we are used to it
frown.gif
smile.gif
Cannot really complain about having a discretionary spending budget after taking care of bills and food in this economic climate.

Don't get me wrong, I see a used can in good condition then my attention is piqued. Don't think anyone is selling the TH900 though
wink.gif
Am most looking forward to headphone window-shopping on my planned Tokyo holiday next spring
biggrin.gif

Aug 13, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #5,061 of 18,765
Quote:
Importing into the EU is subject to customs duty and for the UK the VAT rate is 20%. HMRC even have the cheek to charge duty on p&p and insurance. I have checked for these models and the net saving hardly makes the effort of importing worth it. Is item specific. AT ES700 definitely worth importing from Japan even if you get hit fully for import and VAT. AT prices outside of Japan are crazy.

Caveat emptor applies should a parcel be marked down in value because you are taking the risk the one time you need to make a courier claim. Anyway it is relative, we are used to it
frown.gif
smile.gif
Cannot really complain about having a discretionary spending budget after taking care of bills and food in this economic climate.

Don't get me wrong, I see a used can in good condition then my attention is piqued. Don't think anyone is selling the TH900 though
wink.gif
Am most looking forward to headphone window-shopping on my planned Tokyo holiday next spring
biggrin.gif

I know for a fact PJ will work with you on the value of the product. I paid no import taxes, and I've heard from other in the EU that used PJ that they paid little to no VAT. Obviously, you are taking a bit of a risk, but at the same time, the price difference at from PJ without VAT is quite substantial. Also, if you find a seller like me that is willing to lower the value but add insurance, than that is something as well. Either way, paying almost $2K for a TH-900 anymore is highway robbery. 

Aug 13, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #5,062 of 18,765
Pricejapan quotes £1025 via EMS to the UK. Even trying to minimise the hit at the border you are still going to pay something. It is close to new UK online price unless I am missing the angle here.

btw I am just quoting the direct price from the official distributor eBay shop front. If you saw the price at third party UK retailers your neighbour would need to Heimlich you!

Aug 13, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #5,063 of 18,765
Now you understand why something like the Mad Dogs or the Concero is not nearly the same deal here in Europe as it is in north America.
I paid 330€ and 630€ respectively, IIRC (+30%).
You certainly have other taxes on other every day stuff that makes up for it, though (social care, etc.), so it's not really comparable.

Aug 13, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #5,064 of 18,765
Quote:
How much cash back? Take away the looks I think there is no contest versus TH900 sound. Take away the limited production run I would then query whether W3K owners would have still bought. I means it is more expensive than the HD800 for example...

No contest? Wow... interesting. I really need to hear a pair side by side.
Quote:
OK I am getting my T1 demo soon enough. In the UK the new retail price is £880 ($1360 USD) for the T1 vs £1280 ($1977 USD) for the TH900 so it is quite a big factor if they share qualities as forum search tells me...

*using xe.com

eek.gif

Quote:

wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Hmm next spring 
size]
. If I'm lucky enough, I'll be there too for my FitEar stop. If not... probably summer for me.
Quote:
Now you understand why something like the Mad Dogs or the Concero is not nearly the same deal here in Europe as it is in north America.
I paid 330€ and 630€ respectively, IIRC (+30%).
You certainly have other taxes on other every day stuff that makes up for it, though (social care, etc.), so it's not really comparable.

You guys have it rough.

Aug 14, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #5,069 of 18,765
Quote:

*using xe.com

I have only demoed the 2, and no, (to me) they are far from similar. 

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #5,070 of 18,765
I have just decided to buy a pair of TH900. I heard them for the first time at the HiFi show in Hong Kong on Saturday and then another quick listen on Tuesday and have been quite taken in by them.......and think they compliment my HD800, LCD2 and HE500 well.

Will be using the Violectric V200/V800 stack to drive the TH800...............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back