Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jul 24, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #4,801 of 18,765
Yeah good points earlier in the thread on the stress on the plug from the metal adapter.  I don't like extensions in general but I can't seem to get away from it as different amps, players, etc... have different plugs.  The funny thing is I have all three plugs mentioned above (Grado, Senn, and metal plug). 
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 24, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #4,802 of 18,765
i did too at one point, i miss the senn one, but i still have a metal one that came with my akgs and the grado one from an rs1

Jul 25, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #4,804 of 18,765
Quote:
The Grado one is overpriced. Get the Sennheiser cable adaptor. Do not get the metal adaptors as they put strain on the plug

You mean the one advertised for the HD 650?

Jul 25, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #4,805 of 18,765
The one from the hd650 is lighter in weight and slightly shorter than the Grado one.

Jul 25, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #4,807 of 18,765
Yes, I know... I order quite a lot there for my business so I just added several of these adapters to another order. But a single item with higher shipping than item costs is not funny.

Did you search Amazon or eBay?
http://www.amazon.de/Hama-Audio-Adapter-5-mm-Klinken-St-Stereo-3-mm-Klinken-Kupp/dp/B00006J4DO/ref=sr_1_29?ie=UTF8&qid=1374780960&sr=8-29&keywords=klinke+6%2C3+adapter+3%2C5

Of course the plastic connectors do not fit the fine metal of the TH-900...

Jul 25, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #4,808 of 18,765
Thanks for the link. Not sure how it would work out with shipping to Sweden though.
I already have the Grado and Sennheiser adapter so no need for another one.

Maybe we can leave the question of adapters for now and get back to the TH-900...
I have a problem with head-fi being filled with too much noise about irrelevant subject, but I'm no better myself.

Jul 25, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #4,809 of 18,765
So my initial impression of TH900 with silver dragon V3 out of HM901 with balanced amp module:
1. Highly detailed
2. very crisp highs
3. a bit offensive
4. big bass (a bit too much for my taste), very very strong attack
5. a sense of openness we rarely find on closed headphones

Hmm, how long does it take to see major changes through burning them in? I heard they change quite a bit after burn-in.

Jul 25, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #4,810 of 18,765
#s 2 and 3 above are the reason I returned mine. The highs were just too much for my ears. I had no issues with big bass though I prefer a smoother more mellow over-all presentation. 

Jul 25, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #4,811 of 18,765
Quote:
So my initial impression of TH900 with silver dragon V3 out of HM901 with balanced amp module:
1. Highly detailed
2. very crisp highs
3. a bit offensive
4. big bass (a bit too much for my taste), very very strong attack
5. a sense of openness we rarely find on closed headphones

Hmm, how long does it take to see major changes through burning them in? I heard they change quite a bit after burn-in.

Quote:
#s 2 and 3 above are the reason I returned mine. The highs were just too much for my ears. I had no issues with big bass though I prefer a smoother more mellow over-all presentation. 

Interesting ... I'm leaning the other way ... for me, they lack enough of an edge in the mids and highs. The bass for me is spot on - I love the bass slam, and I find they give it only at the appropriate moments, i.e. I get it in electronica, but not for a double bass in jazz.

I must say that after approx. 25 hours burn-in mine sound slightly better in the mids ... though still short of what I'd like, so I am still EQing mine quite a bit. Perhaps there is a slight bit more detail in vocals but it's subtle. I noticed no real change in the bass. Overall, I think they are a bit sweeter sounding ... a bit more balanced and refined, perhaps not so aggressive as when I first got them.

...Or maybe it's me who is burning in not the TH-900s
tongue_smile.gif
. I think it's them though as I keep flipping back to my Grados to ensure there is still a good, but evolving difference based on when I first A/B'd them.

Jul 25, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #4,812 of 18,765
. I think it's them though as I keep flipping back to my Grados to ensure there is still a good, but evolving difference based on when I first A/B'd them.

IMO, if you are a Grado head, even the slightest of "V" is going to perturb you a bit.

Look-ee here:

So notice the bass on the Fostex (RED) is much more consistent without the large hump of the PS1Ks. Tighter and meaner bass. Definitely.

But look at the smallish V sitting in the middle. That's where your comment about the mids probably stems from.

As for the treble, IMO, I would rather have the TH-900 than the PS1K. The largish hump on top of the PS1K would make me believe they are bit bright. Again, consistent with your ears reaction.

Jul 25, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #4,813 of 18,765
im surprised at how good the Mytek 192 sounds with the TH-900. powerful bass, tons of dynamics, and great midrange!!! 

Jul 25, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #4,814 of 18,765
Quote:
IMO, if you are a Grado head, even the slightest of "V" is going to perturb you a bit.

Look-ee here:

So notice the bass on the Fostex (RED) is much more consistent without the large hump of the PS1Ks. Tighter and meaner bass. Definitely.

But look at the smallish V sitting in the middle. That's where your comment about the mids probably stems from.

As for the treble, IMO, I would rather have the TH-900 than the PS1K. The largish hump on top of the PS1K would make me believe they are bit bright. Again, consistent with your ears reaction.

No wonder male vocals on the TH900 sound a bit too breathy and like they are missing a bit of something. 

Jul 25, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #4,815 of 18,765
Quote:

No wonder male vocals on the TH900 sound a bit too breathy and like they are missing a bit of something. 

I wonder if they were tuned for primarily Asian vocal tones.  I was reading an article stating that about 80% of Japanese words for example, having a rising pitch in pronounciation and this got me curious, although I don't know much about linguistics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back