Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Feb 26, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #14,716 of 18,765

i love the above because they sound bold, robust and engaging to me too.

and that IS next to an HD800.

gotta love this forum

Exactly. Just what I said, all relative. The HD800 might be the most anemic sounding can I've heard.

my hd800S is far from anemic. Then again i have it through TT and gsx mk2 fully balanced via DHC chaperone 3 xlr interconnects and prion 4 DHC balanced cable. Its revealing for the mids and bass, which is in direct complement to la900. Now there are tunes that shine for both cans, but you would love to here some solid bass orientated down tempo or percussion through 800S its just different. I love em both. 

Feb 26, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #14,719 of 18,765
  He said HD800, not HD800s, which (although I haven't heard either) I think are different in their bass presentation and quantity.

I said hd800S which i have, so i just A/B them, yup bass is not anemic through my system, matter of fact I'm back to hd800S, la900 is fun but sometimes i like the serious pleasure of music listening. 

Feb 26, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #14,720 of 18,765
You will get more of the hall effect imo. I find th900 reproducing Tjajkovsky and Beethoven very well. I enjoy piano concertos on th900 for instance though in my opinion T5P mk1 are best for classical and JVC fx850 best for violin cello concertos and especially string guitar play is magical on jvc.

I was listening to Beethoven's 7th on my 900's while working yesterday. I'm not sure how productive the work session was as the movements were mesmerizing, and frankly, more interesting. I agree that the 900's are a great pairing for piano movements. Ludovico Einaudi and Yann Tiersen's work sound fantastic too. 

Feb 26, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #14,721 of 18,765

I was listening to Beethoven's 7th on my 900's while working yesterday. I'm not sure how productive the work session was as the movements were mesmerizing, and frankly, more interesting. I agree that the 900's are a great pairing for piano movements. Ludovico Einaudi and Yann Tiersen's work sound fantastic too. 

See, this is what happens to me with the TH900 too!

Someone asked me many pages back if they were relaxing and I said no, because whatever I listen to through them just has excitement and energy and I end up distracted by them and focusing more on the music than what I'm supposed to be doing. I still prefer classical and piano with other cans in my sig, but damn, the 900 DO make everything so much more...fun!

Feb 26, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #14,722 of 18,765

You will get more of the hall effect imo. I find th900 reproducing Tjajkovsky and Beethoven very well. I enjoy piano concertos on th900 for instance though in my opinion T5P mk1 are best for classical and JVC fx850 best for violin cello concertos and especially string guitar play is magical on jvc.

i literally just came out from under the 900's comparing some versions of mozart's 19th pn concerto. sounded great. although if i a/b'd em with my hd800's, the 800's would win for classical generally, the way these voice multiple instruments is simply enticing! 

Feb 26, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #14,723 of 18,765

I'm fortunate the Th900 is the complete opposite for me. Bold, robust, and engaging.  

i love the above because they sound bold, robust and engaging to me too.
and that IS next to an HD800.

gotta love this forum

I'll third the above. The 900's are still the perfect cans for me. I recently picked up some Noble Dulce Bass IEM's and unfortunately gave them a listen immediately after a fairly involved session with the 900's. My first reaction to the Noble's was how much of a mistake I made. Never fear, I gave my ears and brain some time to adjust and the Noble's are quite capable and enjoyable IEM's (sweet really is a good descriptor). But, to my ears, the 900's out class them in most areas save the mids, which the Dulce's are quite awesome at despite carrying a bass moniker. The 900's sparkle, sub bass extension, sound stage, resolution, dynamics, and fun factor are on full display in this comparison. Granted, I'm talking about semi-open cans v IEM's, dynamic drivers v BA's, and a 2x price difference. It's an interesting comparison nonetheless.  

I'm enjoying the experience of listening the the Noble's and then switching over to the 900's and being like 
basshead.gif

Feb 26, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #14,724 of 18,765
  i literally just came out from under the 900's comparing some versions of mozart's 19th pn concerto. sounded great. although if i a/b'd em with my hd800's, the 800's would win for classical generally, the way these voice multiple instruments is simply enticing! 

I'm trying really hard to stay away from an 800S right now. I'm thinking that can is in my future at some point. With both the 800 and 900 (listed chronologically to avoid any implied favoritism) adorning my shelf, I'd be set with two cans that compliment each other well. Then, I could leave Head-Fi, stop spending money on headphones and related equipment, sense less ire from my partner, etc. See, it's one of those 'win/win' situations.

:) 

Feb 26, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #14,725 of 18,765

See, this is what happens to me with the TH900 too!

Someone asked me many pages back if they were relaxing and I said no, because whatever I listen to through them just has excitement and energy and I end up distracted by them and focusing more on the music than what I'm supposed to be doing. I still prefer classical and piano with other cans in my sig, but damn, the 900 DO make everything so much more...fun!

Every.single.time. I have to listen to music via our home system if I'm to get anything done while working at home. I can't help but following the musical thread while listening to the 900's. 'Oh, I wonder what this song sounds like...' 'Okay, just 15 more minutes and I'll get back to...'

Feb 26, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #14,726 of 18,765

I'm trying really hard to stay away from an 800S right now. I'm thinking that can is in my future at some point. With both the 800 and 900 (listed chronologically to avoid any implied favoritism) adorning my shelf, I'd be set with two cans that compliment each other well. Then, I could leave Head-Fi, stop spending money on headphones and related equipment, sense less ire from my partner, etc. See, it's one of those 'win/win' situations.

:) 

dream on you crazy dreamer!    (re...then i could...)

but, i gotta say, i am feeling set with these two. well, then again, i COULD use..... new dac, try some other amps, try the elusive R10's etc etc etc.  god, i love this forum. and my rig. and my records. and my hi rez lib. yeah yeah, AND my kids and such... 

Feb 26, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #14,727 of 18,765

but, i gotta say, i am feeling set with these two. well, then again, i COULD use..... new dac, try some other amps, try the elusive R10's etc etc etc.  god, i love this forum. and my rig. and my records. and my hi rez lib. yeah yeah, AND my kids and such... 

I notice the kids came in at the very end of that list, right after all the audio equipment 
wink_face.gif

Feb 26, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #14,728 of 18,765

I notice the kids came in at the very end of that list, right after all the audio equipment 
wink_face.gif

AND they were only an afterthought. shame on moi....

Feb 27, 2017 at 2:38 AM Post #14,729 of 18,765
Very true the 800 rules the classical scene...but the 900 can be a great all rounder IMO.  EDM...darkwave, strong points for the 900, Jazz also.

Feb 27, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #14,730 of 18,765

wink_face.gif

AND they were only an afterthought. shame on moi....

This made my evening ... lol reps for these posts 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back