Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Dec 21, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #14,281 of 18,776

That's right, but I meant between the Massdrop versions the pads seem to be the same, the driver the same, and likely the cups damping same as well, so that would indicate the FR differences visible in the Massdrop graphs can be attributed to the wood type.

Ah, right. That's very probably true. @WillBright from Massdrop might be able to comment on this.

Dec 21, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #14,284 of 18,776
Dreaming of th900 mk2 after being really pleased with my new thx00.

Any firsthand experience with the mk2 would be much appreciated. Itd be great to get concrete comparisons between it, the original, and the X00 mahogany.

900 mk2 seems like my endgame for sure, but without a significantly larger stage and much more subbass the cost is a bit hard to justify. A bit better does not seem like it's worth nearly $1000 extra. A lot better would be. I wanna be wowed haha, but don't we all? I can't justify spending that kind of money on something that isn't a bass cannon either way though, so there aren't many options for me.

I'll eventually get an ifi ican pro and idsd black label if that helps with the recommendation. The soundstage on the X00 is the least impressive aspect of them to me, but it's my understanding they were designed to be closer, "intimate".

But I've read it all so I'm really in need of both subjective and objective experience so I can identify with the subjective ones that match my tastes, and are supported by objective ones. Hope that helps, let me know if it'd be better to move this to another thread though. I appreciate the help either way.

Dec 21, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #14,285 of 18,776
can't comment on the differences between the th900 and thx00, but the only difference between the th900 and mk2 is the detachable cables, and fostex have confirmed this.

Dec 21, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #14,286 of 18,776
Dreaming of th900 mk2 after being really pleased with my new thx00.

Any firsthand experience with the mk2 would be much appreciated. Itd be great to get concrete comparisons between it, the original, and the X00 mahogany.

900 mk2 seems like my endgame for sure, but without a significantly larger stage and much more subbass the cost is a bit hard to justify. A bit better does not seem like it's worth nearly $1000 extra. A lot better would be. I wanna be wowed haha, but don't we all? I can't justify spending that kind of money on something that isn't a bass cannon either way though, so there aren't many v options for me.

I'll eventually get an ifi ican pro and idsd black label if that helps with the recommendation. The soundstage on the X00 is the least impressive aspect of them to me, bit it's my understanding they were designed to be closer, "intimate".

But I've read it all so I'm really in need of both subjective and objective experience so I can identify with the subjective ones that match my tastes, and are supported by objective ones. Hope that helps, let me know if it'd be better to move this to another thread though. I appreciate the help either way.

I cannot speak for the THX00.  But TH900 easily tops the soundstage game as far as closed headphones go.  Z1R included.  TH900 is as much subbass as I'll ever need, but if you need more midbass impact Z1R is the go to.  Anyways, good luck with your search. I've had good experience with both these cans, and feel free to PM me if you've any questions.  Cheers!

Dec 21, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #14,287 of 18,776
I cannot speak for the THX00.  But TH900 easily tops the soundstage game as far as closed headphones go.  Z1R included.  TH900 is as much subbass as I'll ever need, but if you need more midbass impact Z1R is the go to.  Anyways, good luck with your search. I've had good experience with both these cans, and feel free to PM me if you've any questions.  Cheers!

Whoa! That sony is expensive haha. Though I've come to learn with this hobby that more money doesn't always equal better. Good to know the stage on the 900 is top dog. That'll help in my reading big time. Is a really good dac/amp combo required for that though? I have a schiit modi 2 uber and ifi ican right now and am partially concerned I'd be disappointed with the 900 without summit level source and amping.

Either way, soundstage and subbass are big priorities for me so the 900 is very promising. Thanks!

Dec 21, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #14,288 of 18,776
Whoa! That sony is expensive haha. Though I've come to learn with this hobby that more money doesn't always equal better. Good to know the stage on the 900 is top dog. That'll help in my reading big time. Is a really good dac/amp combo required for that though? I have a schiit modi 2 uber and ifi ican right now and am partially concerned I'd be disappointed with the 900 without summit level source and amping.

Either way, soundstage and subbass are big priorities for me so the 900 is very promising. Thanks!

I also can't comment on mid-fi products like the THX00 and TH600 derivatives but the TH900 is absolutely a high-end headphone. It is very resolving and capable of strong dynamics so I can't really recommend the Modi 2 which is quite inferior to higher end multibit products or DACs in the $800+ range.

In terms of amps, the Deckard is a pretty good match -- better than the Ragnarok, Joutenhiem or Valhalla 2. Also, the Deckard appears to be an OEM version that is almost identical to the Matrix Stage 3B, with is almost $300 cheaper so that's a consideration too.

Also, Fostex released some crazy 8k tube amp with -115db SNR which is absurdly low for a tube amp. I read that it sounds amazing :)

Dec 21, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #14,289 of 18,776
I also can't comment on mid-fi products like the THX00 and TH600 derivatives but the TH900 is absolutely a high-end headphone. It is very resolving and capable of strong dynamics so I can't really recommend the Modi 2 which is quite inferior to higher end multibit products or DACs in the $800+ range.

In terms of amps, the Deckard is a pretty good match -- better than the Ragnarok, Joutenhiem or Valhalla 2. Also, the Deckard appears to be an OEM version that is almost identical to the Matrix Stage 3B, with is almost $300 cheaper so that's a consideration too.

Also, Fostex released some crazy 8k tube amp with -115db SNR which is absurdly low for a tube amp. I read that it sounds amazing :)

So I guess a good question for me is then, is there a substantial difference between mid fi and hifi? Subjective i know, but that's okay. I love music and think I'll appreciate the differences. Every time I've stepped up in the game it's been worth it to me. Just wanting to get some feedback before taking the plunge (or climbing the summit :wink: ) to the $1000+ market.

Any thoughts, objective and subjective are much appreciated and valued to me.

Dec 21, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #14,290 of 18,776
So I guess a good question for me is then, is there a substantial difference between mid fi and hifi? Subjective i know, but that's okay. I love music and think I'll appreciate the differences. Every time I've stepped up in the game it's been worth it to me. Just wanting to get some feedback before taking the plunge (or climbing the summit
wink.gif
) to the $1000+ market.

Any thoughts, objective and subjective are much appreciated and valued to me.

While there certainly are products that can scale well past the "mid-fi" (so-called) category, there are a distinct classes of headphones in my mind.  This typically manifests itself in terms of detail retrieval, imaging, and dynamics.  If you're familiar with your equipment and tracks, and have more than a surface level appraisal of music, you will definitely appreciate the differences
biggrin.gif
.    Cans like the Beyer T1, HD800, Focal Utopia/ Elear, Audezes and Hifimans will show you things that lesser headphones may not.

Dec 21, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #14,291 of 18,776
While there certainly are products that can scale well past the "mid-fi" (so-called) category, there are a distinct classes of headphones in my mind.  This typically manifests itself in terms of detail retrieval, imaging, and dynamics.  If you're familiar with your equipment and tracks, and have more than a surface level appraisal of music, you will definitely appreciate the differences :D .    Cans like the Beyer T1, HD800, Focal Utopia/ Elear, Audezes and Hifimans will show you things that lesser headphones may not.

Right on, thanks for the input. Even with the X00s, Ive definitely found a big difference in poorly vs well recorded tracks. And my music library is growing exponentially since there's so much more now that is now enjoyable to listen to hah. Like O Daiko drums--friggin epic haha. The bass from real instruments is done really well and is a blast to listen to. Preaching to the choir here I'm sure, but my little taste of "hifi" has been quite remarkable to say the least. I'll never know til I try though so I think I'll go for it. Im moving soon so this will all have to wait a bit, but after that's done I'm going in head first!

Lastly though, since the mk2 recently came out, is it safe to say that there won't be another flagship fostex coming out for a few years?

Dec 21, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #14,293 of 18,776
Right on, thanks for the input. Even with the X00s, Ive definitely found a big difference in poorly vs well recorded tracks. And my music library is growing exponentially since there's so much more now that is now enjoyable to listen to hah. Like O Daiko drums--friggin epic haha. The bass from real instruments is done really well and is a blast to listen to. Preaching to the choir here I'm sure, but my little taste of "hifi" has been quite remarkable to say the least. I'll never know til I try though so I think I'll go for it. Im moving soon so this will all have to wait a bit, but after that's done I'm going in head first!

Lastly though, since the mk2 recently came out, is it safe to say that there won't be another flagship fostex coming out for a few years?

In fact I'd say that Fostex would probably be accelerating its flagship schedule right now to keep up with the market.  

Dec 22, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #14,294 of 18,776
In fact I'd say that Fostex would probably be accelerating its flagship schedule right now to keep up with the market.  

...well in that case...this community seems to have a pretty active used market right? Every time I tried to get some used X00s they were sold. Hard to tell of that was because of the whole Massdrop limited supply, but chances are good that I wouldn't really be "stuck" with the 900s if I wanted to sell for the next gen model right?

...any ways, I don't want this hobby to turn into an addiction. It's far too easy nowadays to obsess over the latest and greatest. I just really want something that will give me great enjoyment and last a long time without feeling like I'm "missing out". I mean schiit, I was perfectly happy with my Beats for 5 years without even realizing there was a whole headohone universe out there, just waiting to be discovered!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back