Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Mar 20, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #9,634 of 18,765
One other point about the TH900 is that they are able to highlight an image naturally without introducing glare to it. In other phones that have good imaging, I notice some some brightness in, say, a vocal when it is emphasized in the recording (maybe in a poorly mastered one). With the TH900, I love it when the image is very well deliniated but not wince-inducing in the slightest.
Maybe this is what people notice when they say the TH900 has mid-range suckout, or recessed mids, but I think this is an over simplification, and to me it sounds like great imaging without artificial spotlighting.
These central images are not blurred, in fact there is fine focus that is very satisfying.
I do notice in HD800s and even Audeze LCD3Fs that a vocal will sometimes stand out too much and become pushy to achieve definition.

With the TH900s, the vocalist (or maybe a brass or wind instrument) will not only avoid sudden brightness, but will remain in the plane of the performance or even be in the background but still remain well defined, as the focus of attention. Other phones may bring an image too forward to define it, unnaturally forward.
As I think about it, that may be a sonic capability of the TH900 that makes this phone so extremely listenable to me.

This is something I would call a key characteristic of a refined sound.
(I hear that term "refined" a lot in audio, and I guess I have used it several times, but I think its meaning needs to be spelled out more specifically.)

Mar 20, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #9,635 of 18,765
the midrange dip is what it is and fr measurements confirm it. think that might have something to do with its clarity and spaciousness. imaging is another thing tho.

Mar 20, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #9,636 of 18,765
  Any TH-900 owners / hip hop fans / new music fans should check out the new Kendrick Lamar album.  It is one of the better sounding albums I've heard so far this year and has a good sound that the th-900 does a great job at complementing.

been listening to the album on my TH-900's aswell, sounds amazing indeed.

Mar 21, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #9,637 of 18,765
The cheapest and best mod that I recently discovered: Cut your hair.
After a haircut they sit so much more comfortable and it just sounds better, (well it probably sounds just the same but the increased comfort does help). 
biggrin.gif

Mar 22, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #9,641 of 18,765
As funny as it sounds, cutting your hair does improve sound :D
Why? Better seal as iancraig10 said.

Mar 23, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #9,643 of 18,765
I'll be honest with you, I've tried many amp combos and I've come to the conclusion that a delicate EQ is the fastest, cheapest, and most direct solution.

Hope someone can chime in on your query. If you do try it, please let us know. Best of luck.

Mar 23, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #9,644 of 18,765
Could somebody please comment on the midrange with the TU05 + TH900? I am wondering if the midrange sounds more fleshed out with the TU05? 

Thanks folks.

Have not heard this tube amp but for what it's worth headphonia liked it with the th900 "Ultimately though, it’s a pairing game as I find that the TU-05 works magic with the Japanese wood headphones like the Audio Technica W2002 or the Fostex TH-900"

Mar 23, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #9,645 of 18,765
Have not heard this tube amp but for what it's worth headphonia liked it with the th900 "Ultimately though, it’s a pairing game as I find that the TU-05 works magic with the Japanese wood headphones like the Audio Technica W2002 or the Fostex TH-900"

Yeh, I have come across Mike's review. But I found it lacking in specific detail about the TH900 and TU05 pairing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back