Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jan 25, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #8,899 of 18,761
it's not fancy. comes in a black finish. i think it's wood. don't use mine tbh.

Sell it on ebay :) I am thinking of doing that since I don't use it.

Jan 25, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #8,900 of 18,761
NC4FXX-B (female, 4 pin xlr Neutrik)
NC4MXX-B (male, 4pin xlr Neutrik)

The th900's have all 4 wires inside, so apart from some simple soldering - you should be good to go. There are a couple of folks who have re-terminated the stock cable into 4 pin xlr with no issues. I included the female connector part # in case you want to make an xlr to 1/4" adapter.

If I end up going with the Oppo HA-1, I'll be doing just this.

Do you know how to map 4 wires to 1,2,3 and 4th (L+, L-, R+, R- respectively XLR pins ?

Jan 25, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #8,903 of 18,761

red right +, white left +, hopefully Fostex has clearly distinguished between l/r - (I can't clearly see here)

Perfect! I don't have to open the cup to find out which maps to what.

Thanks!

Jan 25, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #8,904 of 18,761

Thanks!

All audio gear I know uses the general rule of Red is Right. Depending on the structure of the cable the other channel normally also uses a color (such as white, blue, green etc.) while ground/negative would in many cases be bare wire (if the shield is used) or black, transparent, maybe white. Easy to spot though if its 2+2 shielded: one color is used in both pairs -- thats ground.

Jan 26, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #8,905 of 18,761

Thanks!

Worst case, if you've got a cable that's open on one end and some alligator clips you could put a monophonic track into the left and right cups of the T1/(any headphone) and swap clips on one cup.  They're in phase if it sounds like it's coming from the middle of your head, and out of phase if it sounds like it's coming from two separate ears.  Of course, then you have to decide which are + and which are -.

Jan 26, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #8,906 of 18,761
i have just DIYed to Balanced. Red is Right and White/Yellow is Left. -R is black and coiled around the Red wire, though the two are not shielded separately. But the 2 sets of black - wires are easy to distinguish. The wires are ultra-thin, so need to handle extremely delicately while stripping the shielding before soldering. 

Jan 26, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #8,907 of 18,761

Worst case, if you've got a cable that's open on one end and some alligator clips you could put a monophonic track into the left and right cups of the T1/(any headphone) and swap clips on one cup.  They're in phase if it sounds like it's coming from the middle of your head, and out of phase if it sounds like it's coming from two separate ears.  Of course, then you have to decide which are + and which are -.

The positive signal is already color coded for you and easy to identify.  It's the ground, black wires, that you're going to have to figure out which one goes to the left channel and which goes to the right channel.  That's the basic reason to go with a balanced connector, removing the crosstalk at the driver via the ground.

Jan 26, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #8,908 of 18,761
All audio gear I know uses the general rule of Red is Right. Depending on the structure of the cable the other channel normally also uses a color (such as white, blue, green etc.) while ground/negative would in many cases be bare wire (if the shield is used) or black, transparent, maybe white. Easy to spot though if its 2+2 shielded: one color is used in both pairs -- thats ground.

I did run into a few gears from Europe where WHITE is right. BLACK was still ground--thank goodness! Since RED was not used, I was save from nasty surprises.

My modified TH900 were terminated with 4-pin XLR: absolutely no problem.

Jan 26, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #8,909 of 18,761
I did run into a few gears from Europe where WHITE is right. BLACK was still ground--thank goodness! Since RED was not used, I was save from nasty surprises.

My modified TH900 were terminated with 4-pin XLR: absolutely no problem.

At least they didn't repurpose red :wink:

Jan 26, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #8,910 of 18,761
Just to be safe, I am going to borrow my dad's Multimeter :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back