Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
May 24, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #7,127 of 18,765
Wow pretty long! And nice color.
If is mogami you can probaly get around $30 I guess. If its cardas prob $50?

I had mine made by plussound but it was xlr to rsa for $100.

It's Mogami Neglex 2534 microphone cable. XLR connector is Neutrik, 1/4" plug is Vampire Wire.

May 24, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #7,128 of 18,765
I am going to reterminate my th900 to balance and hookup with this speaker taps that I made this morning.

May 24, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #7,130 of 18,765
Whoa ! speaker taps ! of which amp ? might be too much for TH 900.

Ya probably an overkill but just want to try. My dad has marrantz and old panasonic amps so if I get a chance I will drop by his house to test.

I made this so I can use it with HE6 (ordering soon).

May 24, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #7,131 of 18,765
You guys mod the TH900 to balance version? Will there any benefits gained as high impedance headphones?

Does the balance mod improves the midrange of TH900?
smily_headphones1.gif

The main benefit is that it removes crosstalk between channels assuming your amp is balanced also.

May 24, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #7,132 of 18,765
The main benefit is that it removes crosstalk between channels assuming your amp is balanced also.

Ok so what does that mean to my ears? I am not that technical person. Sry.

All I know if feeds more power (watt wise)? But th900 is low imp so doesn't require lot of voltage?

May 24, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #7,133 of 18,765
Ok so what does that mean to my ears? I am not that technical person. Sry.

All I know if feeds more power (watt wise)? But th900 is low imp so doesn't require lot of voltage?

In non-balanced (Single Ended - SE) cabling the ground is shared between the left and right channels so some of the signal from the left channel may cross into the right channel and vice versa (at the ground connection on the voice coil of the transducers), hence why it's called crosstalk.  Having balanced cables and amps ususally results in better separation and more output voltage.  The extra voltage is advantageous power hungry cans, HifiMAN HE-6, but not so much for the less power hungry cans like the FostexTH900.  If you amp isn't balanced then there no point to the cabling plus you amp may not have the output connectors that the balanced cable requires.

Hope that helps.

May 24, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #7,134 of 18,765
In non-balanced (Single Ended - SE) cabling the ground is shared between the left and right channels so some of the signal from the left channel may cross into the right channel and vice versa (at the ground connection on the voice coil of the transducers), hence why it's called crosstalk.  Having balanced cables and amps ususally results in better separation and more output voltage.  The extra voltage is advantageous power hungry cans, HifiMAN HE-6, but not so much for the less power hungry cans like the FostexTH900.  If you amp isn't balanced then there no point to the cabling plus you amp may not have the output connectors that the balanced cable requires.

Hope that helps.

Do you think I will damage th900 if i connect to the speaker amp using the speaker taps?

May 24, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #7,135 of 18,765
Do you think I will damage th900 if i connect to the speaker amp using the speaker taps?

only if you don't start from zero. if you have the volume up too high to start with, it could damage the drivers...with powerful speaker amps, you're not going to get a lot of play with the volume unless you attenuate it with resistors. the robinette box or some system of utilizing resistors in parallel can give you both attenuation and also the proper load for your amps so they "see" the proper speaker-like loads.

to be honest, i don't know what the benefit is of using speaker amps for easy to drive headphones like the th900 or grados or denons, etc.  

May 25, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #7,139 of 18,765
I was thinking I could opt for simpler life, sell my other headphones and get the TH900. My music library consists mostly of rock & metal, with some pop and electronic music in the mix; most of them are 320kbs mp3 and some FLACs.
My goal setup would be HRT MSII+ > Lovely Cube DIY amp > TH900, and for portable use Astell & Kern AK100 > TH900. Is there any sense in this?

May 26, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #7,140 of 18,765
  I was thinking I could opt for simpler life, sell my other headphones and get the TH900. My music library consists mostly of rock & metal, with some pop and electronic music in the mix; most of them are 320kbs mp3 and some FLACs.
My goal setup would be HRT MSII+ > Lovely Cube DIY amp > TH900, and for portable use Astell & Kern AK100 > TH900. Is there any sense in this?

I think so, for that kind of music, TH900 is quite nice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back