Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
May 10, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #632 of 18,765
I will never get ahead in this addiction - another muti-hundred $ set that I know I'm going to end up buying.

...and I just got the LCD-3s

I should have never read this thread
tongue.gif

May 11, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #633 of 18,765
Quote:
I will never get ahead in this addiction - another muti-hundred $ set that I know I'm going to end up buying.

...and I just got the LCD-3s

I should have never read this thread
tongue.gif

lol, yea this thread definitely made me look in the general direction of the TH900 (albeit not that seriously at first), but then I had a chance to demo them, and I just haaaad to have them.

Side note. They are the most beautiful phone I have ever seen, just stunning (pictures don't do these justice)..!

May 11, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #634 of 18,765
No, they don't. They are just stunning in person. I really can't wait to get these, then I'll have my 1, 2, 3 punch of favorite cans; 007s, HE-6, and TH900. Then I'll be done with crazy expensive flagships... for a while.

May 11, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #638 of 18,765
Your video does a wonderful job capturing the emotional impact of the TH900, driver 8. It's genuine and from the heart, yet captures lots of good details: you strike a good balance between the two, which is certainly appropriate for these. Your joy for these is contagious. Thank you for sharing!

May 11, 2012 at 4:22 AM Post #640 of 18,765
I'll also say this about the TakeT H2+ in comparison to the TH900:

The TakeT H2+ has much more of a bass emphasis. It's more linear to my ears through the rest of the sonic spectrum, but yeah, the bass is much more present compared to the TH900. It's not crappy bass: it's actually the best bass I've heard on a pair of headphones. However I can definitely foresee some people feeling it's overwhelming, whereas the TH900 is much closer to even-handedness.

Also the TakeT H2+, as driver8 mentions, is absurdly picky about amping. I don't just meant having to use the transformer either. What you pair that transformer with makes a rather surprising difference in how it sounds. Pairing it with a common, run-of-the-mill T-amp for example just kills the bass entirely. I think there's a way to tame the bass---though not too much---without having to use EQ. Some people say running it off of a Stax amp strikes the right balance. But yeah, it's a pain to try and work with compared to something like the TH900.

Plus the TH900 is one of the most comfortable, easy-to-wear headphones versus the H2+ which is one of the worst in that regard. Not really a fair comparison though: Fostex has decades of engineering experience versus TakeT which is basically one single genius with limited resources behind the whole thing.

May 11, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #641 of 18,765
Quote:
Thanks!

Re: The Stand: It really did fall over on me within my first 15 minutes of owning them.  I caught the headphones, luckily.

Great job with the vid - always nice to see phones moving around instead of being still in pictures. Totally agree with you regarding the stand, I just looked at it and put it right back, its too flimsy to trust with these headphones; a nice supportive stand is a must.

May 11, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #643 of 18,765
Me too but mine are 1,2,3,4,5 punch of favorite cans: 009, HE-6, HD800,W3000ANV and TH900. I can not say for sure I'll be done and I hope so
biggrin.gif
Quote:
No, they don't. They are just stunning in person. I really can't wait to get these, then I'll have my 1, 2, 3 punch of favorite cans; 007s, HE-6, and TH900. Then I'll be done with crazy expensive flagships... for a while.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
May 11, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #645 of 18,765
Quote:
Great job with the vid - always nice to see phones moving around instead of being still in pictures. Totally agree with you regarding the stand, I just looked at it and put it right back, its too flimsy to trust with these headphones; a nice supportive stand is a must.

Maybe you absolutely need to insert the quarter inch plug into the Fostex "logoed" holder (joining the two ends of the shaped metal bar that is the stand) at the base and behind, to act as a crucial counter-weight? I still think such a flimsy stand is stupid and useless and a waste of space inside the box of the TH900, but maybe it was designed so extremely peculiarly and precisely (it's a Japanese thing, so it's very possible) that you absolutely need to put the plug of the headphone in its place, for the stand to "work".

For illustration, this would be what is to not be done:

And rolling the cable around the circle base before inserting the plug?

After that I won't be insisting anymore on trying to save that silly stand.

Thanks!

Re: The Stand: It really did fall over on me within my first 15 minutes of owning them.  I caught the headphones, luckily.

Phew!

Nice vid Driver8, haven't seen any video reviews here but Jude's and I must say it's refreshing.
Oh and two of my cats were suddenly very interested in your video as well.  :wink:

Jude's video review? where :p

I thought he only had made a Head-Fi photo album about it, and about his unboxing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back