Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Dec 30, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #6,001 of 18,765
  The headphone has a bizarre, rare collection of traits. It's moderately warm, but insanely revealing. I A-B this against an LCD-X and will make my mind up soon. I listened to the Deftones Saturday night Wrist, and in Pink Cellphone I could hear a door closing 3x, under the woman speaking. Frikking amazing. There is a small hotspot in the treble at about 18000, but it's minor and rarely becomes offensive. The bass is NOT bloated and sluggish, whoever feels that has heard it out of the wrong source or is on somthing IMO. There is "driller bass" on some tracks, but fortunately rare. I believe the mids are slightly recessed, NOT very. Strings are totally sublime on the TH-900 and male vocals which are alto or higher, or female vocals are stunning. It is a fast headphone imo. PRAT Pacing, rhythm, accuracy, timing. The only thing that was fatiguing is "listening" to the layers. Some WTH moments, where there is a scratchy noise in the mix that is there, and the engineer dosn't want it to be. It dosn't sound like resonance. This could not be more different than the D-7000, it's ridiculous, they are worlds apart, IMO. The D-7000 was too warm and wallowy, and in my face. It felt fatiguing the D-7000 before too long. The Naim V1 Dac fed from a Bryston 01 CD player sounds like a good combo to be.

+1

also the D7000 was slower, felt congested in complex passages, and also (with lawton pads/mods, not sure about stock headphone) could get sibilant and bright at times.

Dec 30, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #6,002 of 18,765
  +1 also the D7000 was slower, felt congested in complex passages, and also (with lawton pads/mods, not sure about stock headphone) could get sibilant and bright at times.

is the TH900 your favorite out of your impressive collection of: "Sennheiser HD 800 / Beyerdynamic T1 / Audeze LCD-3 / Hifiman HE-500 / Fostex TH-900 / Hifiman HE-6" ?

Dec 30, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #6,003 of 18,765

is the TH900 your favorite out of your impressive collection of: "Sennheiser HD 800 / Beyerdynamic T1 / Audeze LCD-3 / Hifiman HE-500 / Fostex TH-900 / Hifiman HE-6" ?

not sure since I kinda like all my headphones, none of them is perfect and i rotate through them frequently.

the TH-900 pairs very well with the GSX MK2 and is also the headphone i use at work to listen to music since its closed and easy to drive.

Dec 30, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #6,004 of 18,765
Can't bring my TH900's to work anymore. Or more accurately, I don't want to bring them anymore. Firstly, too afraid to scratch them. Second, I hardly am able to use them as the people at work always want a turn on it. :) 

You must have your own room at work DG, right?

Dec 30, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #6,005 of 18,765
  not sure since I kinda like all my headphones, none of them is perfect and i rotate through them frequently. the TH-900 pairs very well with the GSX MK2 and is also the headphone i use at work to listen to music since its closed and easy to drive.

hahah I would imagine you like em all since you haven't sold em off. kinda off-topic, but just wondering which pair is your favorite & why?

i was also under the impression that the TH900 kinda leaks sound despite being closed tho.

Dec 31, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #6,007 of 18,765
would you guys say vocals merge together seamlessly for good focus at 12 oclock or is there more 10, 2 o'clock focus?

Dec 31, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #6,008 of 18,765
  Wow, you actually take the GS-X to work ?

no lol, unfortunately i end up having to use my ipad's headphone jack or my cheap nuforce portable amp which is kinda crappy but better than using IEMs at least for me. no interests in investing in a portable setup at the time as i use mp3 when on-the-go anyways (no ipods big enough for all my songs in lossless). 

i was thinking of getting a small portable amp/dac thingy though, was gonna buy a gilmore lite that i saw for sale a few weeks ago, but someone else took it. 

hahah I would imagine you like em all since you haven't sold em off. kinda off-topic, but just wondering which pair is your favorite & why?

i was also under the impression that the TH900 kinda leaks sound despite being closed tho.

my favorite changes from time to time. the beyer t1 was my absolute favorite, but they aren't as good on the GSX MK2 as on the WA2 i used to own, mostly, they aren't as warm and i think the bass might be lighter (or maybe im just getting used to the audeze and he-6 more).

if the HE-6 had a slightly better soundstage and maybe a smoother treble, they would hands down be my favorite headphone followed by the LCD-3 and HD 800 in that order. there isn't a favorite for me because i love the hd 800s detail but i also like the lcd-3s smoothness and forgiving nature, and then theres the he-500 which isn't as bright as HE-6 but doesn't have as nice bass, and then theres the TH-900 which is great for when you want the bassy heavy presentation it offers. the th-900 also has a unique sound to it, its warm and euphonic but fast and accurate, its a closed T1 basically, being better in treble and bass but not as good in detail and imaging.

i really enjoy the TH-900 and LCD-3 with pop and rap and mainstream music, they are really forgiving and make poor recordings sound great!

Can't bring my TH900's to work anymore. Or more accurately, I don't want to bring them anymore. Firstly, too afraid to scratch them. Second, I hardly am able to use them as the people at work always want a turn on it. :) 

You must have your own room at work DG, right?

i don't want to bring mine anymore either, its very risky, i use a small little carrying bag that came with a pair of sennheiser hd 448 i used to own to protect them from scratches, i still have to be careful not to drop them though and make sure i don't crush them when i'm carrying them with other things. plus i don't want them getting stolen since basically that means if you want them back, you're losing a paycheck or working 2 weeks for free pretty much.

hmm, i don't have my own office or anything. theres a room for all of us, like 6-8 of us, but usually its just 1 or 2 of us back there at any time, so usually its empty. 

other than that, i'm on shift in the control room, so theres always one other person with you, and sometimes other people in there as well. i mostly listen to them on slow after and off-hour shifts and weekend shifts.

Dec 31, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #6,009 of 18,765
  The headphone has a bizarre, rare collection of traits. It's moderately warm, but insanely revealing. I A-B this against an LCD-X and will make my mind up soon. I listened to the Deftones Saturday night Wrist, and in Pink Cellphone I could hear a door closing 3x, under the woman speaking. Frikking amazing. There is a small hotspot in the treble at about 18000Hz, but it's minor and rarely becomes offensive. The bass is NOT bloated and sluggish, whoever feels that has heard it out of the wrong source or is on somthing IMO. There is "driller bass" on some tracks, but fortunately rare. I believe the mids are slightly recessed, NOT very. Strings are totally sublime on the TH-900 and male vocals which are alto or higher, or female vocals are stunning. It is a fast headphone imo. PRAT Pacing, rhythm, accuracy, timing. The only thing that was fatiguing is "listening" to the layers. Some WTH moments, where there is a scratchy noise in the mix that is there, and the engineer dosn't want it to be. It dosn't sound like resonance. This could not be more different than the D-7000, it's ridiculous, they are worlds apart, IMO. The D-7000 was too warm and wallowy, and in my face. It felt fatiguing the D-7000 before too long. The Naim V1 Dac fed from a Bryston 01 CD player sounds like a good combo to be.

+ 1
Layered depth soundstage is a rare feat of TH900.
Vastly superior to HD800 which I get rid of. Finally flat, boring and too agressively detailed.
HD800 loses wholeness to details.
TH900 always hierarchize details to wholeness.

Dec 31, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #6,010 of 18,765
really wanna try th900 one day!

you really should ! best headphone on the market in my opinion
biggrin.gif

Dec 31, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #6,012 of 18,765
I would say that your source and/or amp are to blame. My th900's are one of the least fatigueing phones I've had.

And I can second the fantastic synergy with the tu-05.

Dec 31, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #6,013 of 18,765

I second that.
HD800S is really vulgar and big toes in comparison, like a a fat german pie, full of sugar and cream. Got rid of them after a month and less than 30 hours.
Music was brutal, congested, instruments were  a mess, all strapped on the same level, with absurd spatial placement.
On the contrary, TH900 is stellar and has been so from minute one. Everything falls in place like a dress sumptuously cut. And it's gettin' better everyday (as famously said the Beatles).
So far, my master word with these cans : a dancer. Think Baryshnikov. An athlete, capable to lift heavyweight, but just making fly his female partner (music, by analogy) in the air.
I've received them from Headfier Girls Connections fully modded with silver internals and connectics, and I'm really amazed. So supple, so subtle, effortless with all kind of music.
Writing this with Kind of Blue remaster 2002 from original tapes and just WOW.
This with a simple source so far : AK100 MkII.
Can't wait to give it TU5, HPA8 and Trafomatic Head One some weeks from now.

Dec 31, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #6,014 of 18,765
I would say that your source and/or amp are to blame. My th900's are one of the least fatigueing phones I've had.

maybe, maybe not. all i know is that i don't have this issue with my other cans. the th900's highs sound a bit sharp and hard to me.

Dec 31, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #6,015 of 18,765
maybe, maybe not. all i know is that i don't have this issue with my other cans. the th900's highs sound a bit sharp and hard to me.

My TH900 have no harshness/fatigue at all, they did not left my head for 12 hours straight last WE, and I'm delicate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back