Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Aug 22, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #5,177 of 18,765
I know how they come off just couldn't get them to move without thinking I was going to damage the pads
eek.gif

Aug 22, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #5,178 of 18,765
I am considering the Fostex TH-900 for late night listening sessions. My 'music-room' is next to our bedroom. And although there is a wall between the 'music-room' and our bed room, both the Sennheiser HD-800 and the AKG K-1000 leak soo much sound that you can clearly hear the music through a standard intern wall. Now, I do not need a closed headphone that is dead silent even to somebody sitting right next to me. However, I do need some extra isolation compared to the Sennheiser HD-800 or AKG K-1000. I know some of you have both the Sennheiser HD-800 and the Fostex TH-900. Could you please inform how the Fostex TH-900 isolate sound compared to the Sennheiser HD-800. I know it is difficult to quantify, but is it about twice as much, or even more???
Thanks for your help.

Aug 22, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #5,179 of 18,765
someone said the bass is too much for hip hop.:confused:  how is that? plus bass is a lot easier to flatten than raise with eq

are the mids "beyerdynamic" recessed? slightly may mean equable. I am aware of the perfect headphone myth as there probably is none.

You are probably right. I should test the lcd-2 I love me some mids!!! but I love bass a little bit more and I want to hear the details. Though lcd-2 is the more all around can I never hear it praised for its details, imaging yes. As long as its details best the he-400 I will be satisified. Reviews often express the basshead misconception of the lcd-2 as well.

I am a bass head. But I find it is in how the song is mixed and produced equally as much as the can itself. 

Actually the mids are VERY recessed. This can is more of a "U" than a "V" for sure.

Aug 22, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #5,180 of 18,765
I am considering the Fostex TH-900 for late night listening sessions. My 'music-room' is next to our bedroom. And although there is a wall between the 'music-room' and our bed room, both the Sennheiser HD-800 and the AKG K-1000 leak soo much sound that you can clearly hear the music through a standard intern wall. Now, I do not need a closed headphone that is dead slient even to somebody sitting right next to me. However, I do need some extra isolation compared to the Sennheiser HD-800 or AKG K-1000. I know some of you have both the Sennheiser HD-800 and the Fostex TH-900. Could you please inform how the Fostex TH-900 isolate sound compared to the Sennheiser HD-800. I know it is difficult to quantify, but is it about twice as much, or even more???
Thanks for your help.

No contest. The HD800 is open back, it does not isolate PERIOD.

The TH-900 isolate fairly well, not perfect - there is some leakage but if you listen on medium level volumes, folks in another room will never notice.

Aug 22, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #5,181 of 18,765
Quote:
No contest. The HD800 is open back, it does not isolate PERIOD.

The TH-900 isolate fairly well, not perfect - there is some leakage but if you listen on medium level volumes, folks in another room will never notice.

Thank you for your quick answer. Is it possible to quantify that a bit more. For instance, at a similar volume level the leakage of the Fostex TH-900 is about 1/4 (?) of that of the Sennheiser HD-800.  Hence, the sound level in my room (as opposed to in my ears) is about 75% (?) less with the Fostex TH-900 than it is with the Sennheiser HD-800. Please, inform me about the correct percentage of isolation.

Point is, I listen rather loud, but I do not know your medium level volumes. Maybe, what is a medium level for you is soft or loud to me...  

Aug 22, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #5,182 of 18,765
Thank you for your quick answer. Is it possible to quantify that a bit more. For instance, at a similar volume level the leakage of the Fostex TH-900 is about 1/4 (?) of that of the Sennheiser HD-800.  Hence, the sound level in my room (as opposed to in my ears) is about 75% (?) less with the Fostex TH-900 than it is with the Sennheiser HD-800. Please, inform me about the correct percentage of isolation.

Point is, I listen rather loud, but I do not know your medium level volumes. Maybe, what is a medium level for you is soft or loud to me...  

I listen to heavy metal 99.9% of the time. You can certainly look at the isolation graphs up on Headroom. But bottom line is this, when I had the HD800 there was ZERO isolation. My wife could hear every ferocious growl, blistering lead, etc. etc.

The TH-900 I listen to in the living room on what I would call loud and she can't really hear much and if she leaves the room, nada.

But compared to other close backed designs, the TH-900 does leak.

Aug 22, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #5,183 of 18,765
Quote:
I listen to heavy metal 99.9% of the time. You can certainly look at the isolation graphs up on Headroom. But bottom line is this, when I had the HD800 there was ZERO isolation. My wife could hear every ferocious growl, blistering lead, etc. etc.

The TH-900 I listen to in the living room on what I would call loud and she can't really hear much and if she leaves the room, nada.

But compared to other close backed designs, the TH-900 does leak.

Ok, now we're talking.  That is all I need to hear, it does leak but compared to open headphones it is quiet, but not completely silent. Thanks

Aug 22, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #5,184 of 18,765
Quote:
Actually the mids are VERY recessed. This can is more of a "U" than a "V" for sure.

Although I have only demoed I really could not disagree more with the extent of this hyperbole. More on more on Head-Fi headphones are pigeon-holed when the reality is more subtle and nuanced than that. It leads to misleading statements and bordering on bad advice. Sure a label is less-effort but it does a disservice to people who do not have the opportunity to demo or attend meets.

And system synergy cannot be overlooked. It was like my experience with the Beyer T1. On the Senn HDVD800 amp the vocals and midrange were laid-back, but on the Musical Fidelity M1 amp, which has forward midrange presentation, the T1 was very engaging and more enjoyable with solo singers.

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #5,185 of 18,765
Quote:
Hmm. Are there any phones on the TH900 level that have non-recessed or even forward mids that doesn't also compromise the other aspects too much?

Trying to see my options to see if I'm a viable candidate to switch to something else :)

LCD-3, STAX SR-007mkII,  and maybe even the Jecklin Float QA.

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #5,186 of 18,765
Quote:

Although I have only demoed I really could not disagree more with the extent of this hyperbole. More on more on Head-Fi headphones are pigeon-holed when the reality is more subtle and nuanced than that. It leads to misleading statements and bordering on bad advice. Sure a label is less-effort but it does a disservice to people who do not have the opportunity to demo or attend meets.

And system synergy cannot be overlooked. It was like my experience with the Beyer T1. On the Senn HDVD800 amp the vocals and midrange were laid-back, but on the Musical Fidelity M1 amp, which has forward midrange presentation, the T1 was very engaging and more enjoyable with solo singers.

+1 on that. People like to label things without listening to help them choose i suppose, but ultimately these descriptions really are splitting hairs, so they're taken out of perspective.

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #5,187 of 18,765
Quote:

awww shucks. a lot of reads on moon audio, here and elsewhere say that they are not recessed at all. But compared to a modded t50 or a sennheiser hd650 or lcd2 Im sure that fits the bill. That is always an area in reviews that is never praised. So Im glad you told me I will look elsewhere. LCD2 maybe. I hope the lcd2 has more bass quantity than the he-400. prob not though. If I could sacrifice the treble for midrange on the th-900 they would be my phone for sure.

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #5,188 of 18,765

This isn't hyperbole:

LOOK AT THE DROP in the mid range.

They are recessed and given the emphasized bass and airy treble, fit a "U" type characteristic (as do some other Denons).

EDIT: Perhaps me saying "VERY" recessed was a bit rash. I'm a bit sensitive to midrange drop. Mea culpa.

If you listen to certain types of music, this will be quite noticeable. For others not so much.

I am not making a derogatory comment, just stating honestly, the obvious (both my ears and outside measurements confirm).

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #5,189 of 18,765
awww shucks. a lot of reads on moon audio, here and elsewhere say that they are not recessed at all. But compared to a modded t50 or a sennheiser hd650 or lcd2 Im sure that fits the bill. That is always an area in reviews that is never praised. So Im glad you told me I will look elsewhere. LCD2 maybe. I hope the lcd2 has more bass quantity than the he-400. prob not though. If I could sacrifice the treble for midrange on the th-900 they would be my phone for sure.

If you don't like recessed mids, the graph I posted speaks VOLUMES.

Aug 22, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #5,190 of 18,765
Quote:
If you don't like recessed mids, the graph I posted speaks VOLUMES.

Then move on to a different set of headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back