Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
May 13, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #4,321 of 18,765
Not a huge fan of the th900 pads either, they are alot stiffer than the denons. But I have noticed they do break in and become softer with time. The first week i wore them I thought they were somewhat uncomfortable, but after almost 2 months they have gotten a lot better.

May 13, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #4,322 of 18,765
I'll probably just order a set of SR007 Pads to see how they are because I have yet to find any dimensions. From what I remember, they were very soft and plush like the LCD-3 Pads, which is ideal for me. I would like to try the D7K pads, but I'm unsure where to buy them. It's possible the Mad Dog Alpha Pads will fit as well, if that is the case, those could be a solution as well. Although the Alpha Pads wrap around the outer ring of the cup, some modding would be involved.

May 13, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #4,323 of 18,765
Lawton Audio's got pads for the TH900 @$99 a pair for the angled ones. I will likely order a pair to use and keep the stock ones for backup, depending how it sounds.

http://www.lawtonaudio.com/page68.html

I'll probably just order a set of SR007 Pads to see how they are because I have yet to find any dimensions. From what I remember, they were very soft and plush like the LCD-3 Pads, which is ideal for me. I would like to try the D7K pads, but I'm unsure where to buy them. It's possible the Mad Dog Alpha Pads will fit as well, if that is the case, those could be a solution as well. Although the Alpha Pads wrap around the outer ring of the cup, some modding would be involved.

That might be good at $131 USD shipped from PriceJapan.com. Not sure if they fit exactly or requires some mods. The Lawton pads should be designed to be a drop-in replacement.

May 13, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #4,324 of 18,765
How's the eggshell protein feel compared to traditional lambskin?

Also, not sure where the price on these things have been at recently but you can get them for $1500 shipped now from PriceJapan.

May 13, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #4,325 of 18,765
Quote:
Lawton Audio's got pads for the TH900 @$99 a pair for the angled ones. I will likely order a pair to use and keep the stock ones for backup, depending how it sounds.

I've only briefly had a pair of LA7000 headphones on, but there were pretty comfortable. I don't remember which headphone was more comfortable the SR007 or the LA7000, but I think it was the STAX. I'll probably order the STAX, because they just look more comfortable. Also, I don't see what material the pads are made from on the Lawton site. The SR007 ones are lambskin, which IMO is the most comfortable material for pads.

May 13, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #4,326 of 18,765

That might be good at $131 USD shipped from PriceJapan.com. Not sure if they fit exactly or requires some mods. The Lawton pads should be designed to be a drop-in replacement.

I have those angled Lawton pads on my D2000 phones. Very comfortable.

May 13, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #4,327 of 18,765
I don't know how better the LCD-3 to the LCD-2 r.2 is but my LCD-2 was sitting at the desk collecting dust since the TH900 arrived. I enjoy it every moment since its out of the box, it doesn't require a 'break in' to sound awesome though.

The bass of the TH900 is something I've never experienced before, it's simply outstanding! Also the sparkling treble does make it more enjoyable than the LCD-2 imo. 

May 13, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #4,328 of 18,765
Quote:
I don't know how better the LCD-3 to the LCD-2 r.2 is but my LCD-2 was sitting at the desk collecting dust since the TH900 arrived. I enjoy it every moment since its out of the box, it doesn't require a 'break in' to sound awesome though.

The bass of the TH900 is something I've never experienced before, it's simply outstanding! Also the sparkling treble does make it more enjoyable than the LCD-2 imo. 

Personally I find the TH-900s the best closed cans I've owned yet. But that said, they are #4 IMO of the headphones that I own. But comparing open to closed headphones isn't necessarily fair either due to natural advantages of open headphones. 

May 13, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #4,329 of 18,765
Quote:
Personally I find the TH-900s the best closed cans I've owned yet. But that said, they are #4 IMO of the headphones that I own. But comparing open to closed headphones isn't necessarily fair either due to natural advantages of open headphones. 

I still get the obsession with not comparing two different headphones. The guy you mentioned compared it to the lcd-2s, the previous guy one or two page back compared it to the hd800. There just seems to be one group of people who can't stand others doing so. Sure, of course open cans  have the advantage of say soundstaging but the closed cans have stuff that can't exactly be matched by open cans except for maybe a handful, and I think that would be a full, wholesome bass response. You make it sound like comparing an open can and closed can of the same price, the open can would always win. Yes, more often that not, but hey, once the price crosses 1000, anything can happen. I saw people prefer the th-900 to the lcd-3. (Not trying to shoot down lcd-3 lovers) just curious why exactly some people are particularly against closed vs open comparisons.

May 14, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #4,330 of 18,765
Quote:

I still get the obsession with not comparing two different headphones. The guy you mentioned compared it to the lcd-2s, the previous guy one or two page back compared it to the hd800. There just seems to be one group of people who can't stand others doing so. Sure, of course open cans  have the advantage of say soundstaging but the closed cans have stuff that can't exactly be matched by open cans except for maybe a handful, and I think that would be a full, wholesome bass response. You make it sound like comparing an open can and closed can of the same price, the open can would always win. Yes, more often that not, but hey, once the price crosses 1000, anything can happen. I saw people prefer the th-900 to the lcd-3. (Not trying to shoot down lcd-3 lovers) just curious why exactly some people are particularly against closed vs open comparisons.

I own the LCD-3s and technically the LCD-3s are the better headphones to my ears, no question. Closed headphones face resonances that open headphones do not. A sense of air and space is also "typically" better on open headphones too. The TH-900s are wonderfully rich (though a bit coloured) headphones, but they just don't keep up with the naturalness of the HD800s or LCD-3s IMO. But as closed headphones go, I've heard none better. 

May 14, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #4,331 of 18,765
I own the LCD-3s and technically the LCD-3s are the better headphones to my ears, no question. Closed headphones face resonances that open headphones do not. A sense of air and space is also "typically" better on open headphones too. The TH-900s are wonderfully rich (though a bit coloured) headphones, but they just don't keep up with the naturalness of the HD800s or LCD-3s IMO. But as closed headphones go, I've heard none better. 

However, apparently, a lot of pages back a person mentioned the th-900 bass response is full and wholesome and beat that to the LCD-3. An the guy I mentioned earlier also Sia the hd800 loses out to the th-900. But you can of course prefer the open can but I see no harm comparing open and close phones. You make like the LCD-3 better, he might like the th-900 better and so on and so forth. I'm not questioning the usually better sound quality open cans bring but I just see no harm comparing open and closed cans. And I thought at first it was a general rule of thumb but apparently only a few were strongly against doing so while the rest still does it.

May 14, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #4,332 of 18,765
How's the eggshell protein feel compared to traditional lambskin?

Also, not sure where the price on these things have been at recently but you can get them for $1500 shipped now from PriceJapan.

Lambskin means some poor lamb must die to give us it's skin. Just stick to egg shell and the fact that there is a protein word at the end means its good for skin. No? :wink:

May 14, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #4,333 of 18,765
Quote:

I to prefer a few of the TOTL flagship open headphones to the TH-900,  only a few.  

HE-6
HD800
LCD-3

The T1s are up for debate - with me that is..

May 14, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #4,335 of 18,765
Quote:

Now that you mentioned this, I also share my short experience with hekeli's TH900, HD800, and my Stax SR-507, all run from the same amp. 

The TH900 sounded really good, but IMO it prefers a few music genres (electronic, jazz, rock, pop), but it's not as natural and true to instrument timbre as the HD800 and SR-507. The latter two sounded remarkably similar, both very open and natural, the Stax being a bit warmer, more emotional, with more natural wind instruments, more bass punch and a bit loose in imaging, whereas the HD800 was more precise, better controlled bass, very clean and musical sounding. It did not exhibit the treble etch which I've heard with the 4-5 other HD800's. IIRC this one had 22xxx series number, so the later HD800's seem to be surprisingly really good, especially for the price (sic!). In the end, I preferred my Stax and hekeli preferred his HD800, and I can understand why. I just have different priorities. I also warn you that at 40+, my hearing is rolling off at high frequencies, so check the highs.

But back to the TH900: it hits much harder in the bass/midbass, which sounds good with many kinds of music, and movies. I thought it sounded like a very cleanly equalized sound (with no EQ-smear), until I realized (with live jazz recording), that it has its own logic to layer the sound stage and the instruments. I was surprised. So I cannot say it's just EQ: the TH900 clearly translates / interprets the music, but the interpretation is very consistent, musical, and has a soul of its own, making the music enjoyable, but in the same time preventing the TH900 from being "the one" headphone for all. I just prefer the more open sounding headphones, like the HD800 and SR-507. Nevertheless, it is by far the best closed can I have ever heard. IIRC I liked it more than the Audeze LCD 2.2, and it is about on the same level as the LCD-3, although I think I would prefer the LCD-3 as it is more true to the music with a wider range of music genres (although still a bit dark to my taste). 

Also keep in mind that with different amps, up to some (variable) limit, one may compensate each headphone according to the needs.

I think this is the shortlist to compare if someone ponders buying a TH900: Sennheiser HD800, Stax SR-507, Audeze LCD-3, Stax SR-007 Mk1. Since it is the only closed headphone from this list, it may be the only choice for some, and a very good one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back