Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
May 8, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #4,261 of 18,765
I have found that sibilance is usually more dependent on the amp than the headphones.  My test case was Porcupine Tree's Stupid Dream CD.

This bright vs. dark impression is also leaving me a little confused.  For my setup, I'm hearing a rich full sound that's a tad dark in consequence.  You want bright, try T1s out of a Soloist...

May 9, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #4,262 of 18,765
You guys were talking of pricejapan.com right? They do have a nice price but their website isnt encrypted (https for the buying stage)  and they dont have really paypal integration, i'm supposed to send them the money myself to some account they have.. are they safe & legit?

May 9, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #4,263 of 18,765
You guys were talking of pricejapan.com right? They do have a nice price but their website isnt encrypted (https for the buying stage)  and they dont have really paypal integration, i'm supposed to send them the money myself to some account they have.. are they safe & legit?

Was wondering this as well. I'm very very worried about online purchase in the first place and an International one doesn't make it any better. Like what would happen if it is faulty broken, or they don't give me my product? For now, though their price is almost half the price at my local store I'm still skeptical!

May 9, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #4,264 of 18,765
Quote:
Example of where TH900 becomes extremely sibilant: Spotify, Eric Clapton Let it Grow @ 0:30 where they sing "Let it bloSSSZZZZZZZZZom ..."

Do you guys experience this or what? Currently using Woo Audio WA6-SE with Mullard GZ37 rectifier and a pair of big bottle 6EW7's. I have plenty more tubes.

Edit: Another song which becomes unbearable is "Desire - If I can't hold you", I often use that to check for sibilance.

So I fired up MOG to hear what you're hearing. There were about 10 different albums the track "Let it Grow" is on.

1) 20th Century Masters - The Millenium Collection: The Best of Eric Clapton -> Very sibilant. This seems to be mixed to emphasize treble quite a bit...
2) 461 Ocean Boulevard (Remastered) -> No sibilance. 
3) Time Pieces -> Sibilance. Quite a bit on this version and annoying to no end. Ssssssssssszzz....
4) 461 Ocean Boulevard (Deluxe Edition) -> Slight sibilance. 
5) The Cream of Clapton -> No sibilance. Slightly compressed.
6) Complete Clapton -> Sibilance. Recording has more clarity overall though but seems to be mastered to emphasize upper frequencies.
7) Crossroads -> No sibilance. Sounds compressed and mastered to de-emphasize upper frequencies.
8) 461 Ocean Blvd. (Rarities Edition - Live at Hammersmith version) -> Zilch sibilance. Different arrangement and musicians on this so not really fair.

Seems to be mostly how the album is mastered. I heard the same on the HD700s and the sibilance was a bit more pronounced on these than the TH900s. 

Which version did you listen to?

May 9, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #4,265 of 18,765
Quote:
Was wondering this as well. I'm very very worried about online purchase in the first place and an International one doesn't make it any better. Like what would happen if it is faulty broken, or they don't give me my product? For now, though their price is almost half the price at my local store I'm still skeptical!

I received mine via PriceJapan. Kaneda is a straight shooter and takes payment via a wired payment to his US bank account. The wait was very short as I received confirmation of payment & shipping information in the span of 4 days. Delivery took about a week and I had the transaction completed in less than 2 weeks. He's done business with other head-fi'ers as well so there are some anecdotal feedback on his customer service and products he ships out.

I'm sure though that there are no warranties implied by him selling to you, though, since he is offering a service (buyer broker) instead of a retailer selling you product that will be backed up by manufacturer warranties.

May 9, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #4,266 of 18,765
A simple search on the forum would tell you pricejapan is quite popular here and very legit. Obviously warranty is handled by them as described. Any else concerns are basic internet shopping. If you use paypal together with credit card, you are double guaranteed to get money back from either in case of problems.

May 9, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #4,268 of 18,765
You have to also remember that the TH900, as a high-end headphone, is going to be now more revealing of faults and deficiencies in your upstream gear and source material, regardless of the additional bloom it presents.  Things that may have been glossed over with lower fidelity headphones are exposed to listening distraction, and now will need addressing for satisfaction.  That's the way with audiphilic up-graditis, when you're working backward. But don't blame the exhaust pipe for the black smoke generated out of an oil burning engine.

May 9, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #4,269 of 18,765
Quote:

Quote:

Yes. PriceJapan is totally legit, and many Head-Fi users use them to buy Japanese retailed products at amazing prices. They ship fast and consider they have to be imported, the shipping time is quite good. Their website is not as professional as say Moon-Audio, but it gets the job done, and you get an amazing price on items that potentially could be thousands more in your own country. A very easy compromise if you ask me. Oh, and yes I bought my TH-900 from PriceJapan with absolutely no problems and fast shipping.

May 9, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #4,270 of 18,765
Quote:

Yes. PriceJapan is totally legit, and many Head-Fi users use them to buy Japanese retailed products at amazing prices. They ship fast and consider they have to be imported, the shipping time is quite good. Their website is not as professional as say Moon-Audio, but it gets the job done, and you get an amazing price on items that potentially could be thousands more in your own country. A very easy compromise if you ask me. Oh, and yes I bought my TH-900 from PriceJapan with absolutely no problems and fast shipping.

Me to
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #4,272 of 18,765
I've gotten a few things from Price Japan (including my SR009's for around $3.7k) and in my experience you just have to bother them a bit if you want tracking info, but they're fine otherwise. 

May 9, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #4,274 of 18,765

my transaction was flawless, and communication was excellent. I am unsure on the security of the site, but I believe I was referred to Paypal (secure) and then bounced back once complete.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend pricejapan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back