Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Nov 29, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #1,591 of 3,438
  You're right. Some notes on the TH600:

- I'm getting used to it already although the mids sound thinner than all my other cans.
- The treble seem to extend further than all my other cans.
- It sounds clearer than all my other cans.
- The bass extends futher than all my other cans.
- They sound like they are made for EDM music which is 80% of what I listen to so I'm liking it.
- I thought they'd be more comfortable, the pads don't hold my head the way I expected similar feeling to my HE500s but they aren't unconfortable. 
- Looks like I might sell off my Mad Dogs after all.
- They sound like the an un-dark version of the Mad Dogs with the treble and bass extending further.
- The cable is not really flimsy like others have described and is quite thick and not really prone to kinking
- They are quite light (I'm used to my orthos)
- Wow, the bass. I've never heard bass like this before. Bass that is deep, extended and does not eat up into the mids at all. It'll take some getting used to.

I'm glad you are starting to warm up to them! They are really good headphones for the price IMO. Couple things:

-Mids will stay "thinner" in comparison to what you have mentioned (HD600, Mad Dog, HE-500)
-They do well with faster pace music like EDM, Electronic, Synth, some say even metal (don't listen to too much so I wouldn't know). I would say they are pretty well-rounded especially for modern genres of music.
-The pads will start to contour to your head as they become more plush with your body oil. I will say that they don't clamp very hard, especially compared to the HE-500 and Mad Dog. For most, this is a positive, hence all the positive feedback regarding comfort.
-The cable seems to be a hit or miss depending on the person. The cable won't kink below the y-splitter, but above it is prone too because the braid inside the cotton jacket is quite tight. Plus the y-splitter is not well done (IMO). 

Nov 29, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #1,592 of 3,438
Pretty much matches my experience with them too.
Switching back to the 5LE really made the recessed mids apparent, though.
If you like that level of clarity and the sound-signature but want the mids back, the HE-6 is your guy. They're not that close sounding (the 5LEs are much closer) and you won't get that studio monitor feeling but in terms of extension and impact, the 6s are top notch.

The HE-4 were very close to the Fostex (U-shaped signature) but with better mids and less refinement.

Nov 29, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #1,593 of 3,438
I feel like I've got too many headphones now all of which I like a lot but don't have the time to use them all properly. It's like having many hot mistresses but can't use them all. Oh actually you can have the hot mistresses at the same time but not listen to the cans at the same time. I wish I had more ears.

Nov 29, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #1,594 of 3,438
So are the mids too thin to enjoy metal? I heard they were good with metal, but the U shaped phones I had (HFI2400) were horrible with metal because of the sucked out mids. It was like the guitars and vocals were a mile away. Is this a similar situation? Dang, I thought I was set to buy these.

Nov 29, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #1,595 of 3,438
So are the mids too thin to enjoy metal? I heard they were good with metal, but the U shaped phones I had (HFI2400) were horrible with metal because of the sucked out mids. It was like the guitars and vocals were a mile away. Is this a similar situation? Dang, I thought I was set to buy these.

Metal sounds better on my he500 than my th600. Anything with distortion I tend to prefer the 500, so rock, metal etc.

Nov 29, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #1,598 of 3,438
I'm not sure why. Distortion just sounds so good on the 500. Cheers fellow Denverite :beerchug:

Nov 29, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #1,599 of 3,438
I'm mostly an EDM fan, but I also listen to some Post Rock, Post Metal, Doom Metal and Stoner Rock. I guess they are not the fastest or most energetic of rock music but while I do enjoy them on the TH600, they seem to lack that midrange weight I've had with them on the demo HD600, RS1i I heard. I would understand preferring something like the HE500, HE5LE etc due to their thicker mid range, where all the guitars are in the mix.

Nov 29, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #1,600 of 3,438
It's all about fine-tuning your chain to suit a particular headphone. Back when I used the D5000 and D7000 (before Fostex even released the TH line), I had a tube amp that brought up the midrange to a decent level, thanks to a combo of Mullard and Telefunken tubes. It was actually quite pleasing - the accentuated midrange combined with reverb from the D7000's cups gave that mahogany-esque honk (guitar players will understand, it's a very Gibson SG type snarl) to guitar sounds.

Obviously there are limits to what certain headphones can do, but careful chain building (transport, power supply, DAC, amp) can go a fairly long way, provided you're sure of the sound you want. Downside is, the more you fine-tune your chain to suit one headphone, the more you risk compromising your other headphones. Another downside is cost, obviously - it may be cheaper just building a linear, uncoloured chain and matching it with multiple headphones.

As they say, many ways to skin a cat.

Nov 29, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #1,602 of 3,438
HD800 is too much for the iCan indeed, tried the combo at Stereo before.

Bought the TH600 recently at local shop after seeing the price drop, love the full black design... I suppose you bought online right? Local price at that time was hmm, well...

I bought them online from the usual source as other Singaporean bros do :p
The price quoted by the local store before the price reduction was ridiculous, and mind you, I was a regular there since 07.
You're right about the iCan. It sounds like it was running out of steam

Nov 29, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #1,603 of 3,438
Stupid question. Which way are the pads supposed to be worn. Is the thick part supposed to be at the back?

Nov 30, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #1,605 of 3,438
The TH600s sound quite good just straight out of my Samsung GS4. There's not a huge improvement going from the phone to the Audio Gd 15.32 DAC/AMP. Any tips on improving the sound? I noticed that all my other mid-tier cans HE500, HD600, Mad dogs respond really well with the desktop amp and speaker amps.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back