Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Jun 25, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #691 of 3,438
Quote:
I've been using this headphone about 4 days (30-40 hours of burn in).

It took about 200 hours of burn in with TARA Labs Burn In CD so that sound of TH-600 become stable... so you still have a long way to go IMO 
wink.gif

Jun 25, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #692 of 3,438
Thanks for the burn in info. My pair has about 100 hrs on them, but they still sound quite thin in the mids and tho up top. Happy with the bass though. I am using Slee solo ultra linear diamond which is suppose to match low ohm phones like grado and fostex.

Will burn them for another week and see whether there's any improvement!

Jun 25, 2013 at 4:32 AM Post #693 of 3,438
Quote:
Thanks for the burn in info. My pair has about 100 hrs on them, but they still sound quite thin in the mids and tho up top. Happy with the bass though. I am using Slee solo ultra linear diamond which is suppose to match low ohm phones like grado and fostex.

Will burn them for another week and see whether there's any improvement!

Some observations of sound changing while I burn in TH-600... After 40-50 hours of burn-in the brightness and sibilance on vocal is become much less, but after 100 hours the sibilance start to grow again, after 150 hours sibilance again start to decrease, after 200 hours the sound become stable to my ears, the slight sibilance is still there, but not to the point to be critical to me... also after 100 hours the tonal balance become much more neutral, so much that hadphones become a little "boring", but after 200 hours, even though tonal balance become even more neutral, the sound of headphones overall become much more "colorful", "fun" and "emotional", I think it's mainly because timbres become more natural and overall resolution of sound become higher (also bass control is become better)... only IMHO of course 
wink.gif

Jun 25, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #695 of 3,438
Jun 29, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #697 of 3,438
I love the TH600 for the past 2-3 weeks but got the big brother TH900 and big bro just does this just little better for what I looking for so I am selling the TH600 on eBay for those who might be interested.

Jun 30, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #698 of 3,438
Quote:
Some observations of sound changing while I burn in TH-600... After 40-50 hours of burn-in the brightness and sibilance on vocal is become much less, but after 100 hours the sibilance start to grow again, after 150 hours sibilance again start to decrease, after 200 hours the sound become stable to my ears, the slight sibilance is still there, but not to the point to be critical to me... also after 100 hours the tonal balance become much more neutral, so much that hadphones become a little "boring", but after 200 hours, even though tonal balance become even more neutral, the sound of headphones overall become much more "colorful", "fun" and "emotional", I think it's mainly because timbres become more natural and overall resolution of sound become higher (also bass control is become better)... only IMHO of course 
wink.gif

Are you sure it's not just fluctuation in your subjective perception that's causing all this? It's pretty easy to just listen on one day with certain songs, at a certain time of the day, etc etc and have a different take on the same treble, compared to another day with an slightly different (physical and mental) setting and test tracks.

Jun 30, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #699 of 3,438
Quote:
Are you sure it's not just fluctuation in your subjective perception that's causing all this? It's pretty easy to just listen on one day with certain songs, at a certain time of the day, etc etc and have a different take on the same treble, compared to another day with an slightly different (physical and mental) setting and test tracks.

They were burning in in the shelf continuously night-and-day for about a 10 days with TARA Labs burn in CD on volume above normal, and I listened them for a short pediods of time on those days, also have my STAX SR-009 and UM Merlin as some reference sound to compare changing sound of TH-600... So of course you might be right that it's all my perception issues, but I like to think it's not
wink.gif

Jun 30, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #700 of 3,438
I love the TH600 for the past 2-3 weeks but got the big brother TH900 and big bro just does this just little better for what I looking for so I am selling the TH600 on eBay for those who might be interested.

Good decision on upgrading to his brother. Anyway I'll keep the TH600 . It's a good headphone to determine your source and recording quality :rolleyes:.

Jun 30, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #701 of 3,438
Quote:
They were burning in in the shelf continuously night-and-day for about a 10 days with TARA Labs burn in CD on volume above normal, and I listened them for a short pediods of time on those days, also have my STAX SR-009 and UM Merlin as some reference sound to compare changing sound of TH-600... So of course you might be right that it's all my perception issues, but I like to think it's not
wink.gif

Personally I like it more if either 1) a headphone has zero burn-in effects, or 2) a headphone seems to have a gradual and unidirectional burn-in trend. Having fluctuations in terms of performance would make it seem as though there are threats of driver reliability issues.

Jun 30, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #702 of 3,438
Good decision on upgrading to his brother. Anyway I'll keep the TH600 . It's a good headphone to determine your source and recording quality :rolleyes:.

I know I am torn whether to get rid of it because it's not a bad phone but I feel like some else might enjoy it I am just not using them any more.

Jul 1, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #704 of 3,438
Quote:

Put them on the FS forum here on Head Fi.  Give our community first crack at them..

I know I need to.  I've not run an add yet so I will need to figure out how you do it.  Just been lazy to figure it out... haha... I think I'll work on it this evening.

Jul 2, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #705 of 3,438
Such a big decision to spend 1k on phones for me. Really want these. I guess I could always sell like you are if they weren't to my liking. As it did with Beyer T70s

How do TH600 compare to say beyer dt250 or mad dogs for monitoring/production? Worth the significant extra cost? More comfy, more low freq response, more detail, more versatile?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back