Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
May 30, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #646 of 3,438
Quote:
Honestly I would invest in some nice near fields for producing before spending anymore money on headphones.

I already have a nice monitoring system but most of my work is done on the go or late at night, hence the headphones. Oh and I didn't miss a 0 hence my comment!

Btw per my calculation the th-900 can hit 133 dB going flat strap, that's crazy!

Jun 9, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #648 of 3,438
Received these cans on Tuesday and have been very pleased with the detailed and overall neutral sound (despite the U-shape). Still breaking them in but they sound great out of both my Soloist and WA7... would be happy with either but gotta decide which I like more. The soloist provides a fuller body sound and drives with more authority. I don't find myself thinking that I need to try the TH900's, a good thing for my wallet.

Jun 9, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #649 of 3,438
Received these cans on Tuesday and have been very pleased with the detailed and overall neutral sound (despite the U-shape). Still breaking them in but they sound great out of both my Soloist and WA7... would be happy with either but gotta decide which I like more. The soloist provides a fuller body sound and drives with more authority. I don't find myself thinking that I need to try the TH900's, a good thing for my wallet.

just curious did you use the soloist with another DAC or thru the wa7's DAC?

Jun 9, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #651 of 3,438
Quote:
For those interested, I put my TH-600 for sale.

Their wonderful treble awoke my desire to get the HE-6.

I got a cable for your HE-6s.. 
L3000.gif

Jun 11, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #655 of 3,438
just got my th600 from amazon.co.jp via tenso. never tried it before but it was pretty easy overall. ordered last monday morning. got to tenso on wednesday. consolidated it with the stand i ordered and it shipped friday. not too bad of a wait considering the extra stops it took.

tried em on to see comfort. i like the headband, sits well on my head. there's not much clamp which is weird for my giant head usually everything feels like its mashing my head. used to my memory foam pads on the k702-65 so unsure how i feel about the th600 pads yet. overall though, satisfied with the feel and weight of everything.

was gonna burn em in a little, just turned on my wa7 but remembered i had to go to work (12 shift so i didnt want to leave it on). still ended up listening to a few tracks knowing that my tubes were cold and my th600 brand new.

was smiling as soon the music was playing. for the few tracks i played, the combo of the th600 and wa7 seemed to be what i was looking for.
quality bass with good impact, but never overly bloated. vocals were clear and about the right distance (was afraid it would be recessed). forgot what the treble was like since i was focused on the bass. digged the soundstage, can't say how big or small it is, just that its how i like it.

dont want to say much more until further listening but so far i think i can settle finally... at least for a few months til head-fi brainwashes me into blowing more money.

Jun 12, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #656 of 3,438
I also like the pairing of the TH-600 with a tube amp.    

Quote:
just got my th600 from amazon.co.jp via tenso. never tried it before but it was pretty easy overall. ordered last monday morning. got to tenso on wednesday. consolidated it with the stand i ordered and it shipped friday. not too bad of a wait considering the extra stops it took.

tried em on to see comfort. i like the headband, sits well on my head. there's not much clamp which is weird for my giant head usually everything feels like its mashing my head. used to my memory foam pads on the k702-65 so unsure how i feel about the th600 pads yet. overall though, satisfied with the feel and weight of everything.

was gonna burn em in a little, just turned on my wa7 but remembered i had to go to work (12 shift so i didnt want to leave it on). still ended up listening to a few tracks knowing that my tubes were cold and my th600 brand new.

was smiling as soon the music was playing. for the few tracks i played, the combo of the th600 and wa7 seemed to be what i was looking for.
quality bass with good impact, but never overly bloated. vocals were clear and about the right distance (was afraid it would be recessed). forgot what the treble was like since i was focused on the bass. digged the soundstage, can't say how big or small it is, just that its how i like it.

dont want to say much more until further listening but so far i think i can settle finally... at least for a few months til head-fi brainwashes me into blowing more money.

Jun 17, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #657 of 3,438
Prretty sure I'm going to get a pair of these soon, from reading all the impressions/reviews they are just what I'm after.
A fairly balanced/neutral closed comfy HP with good detail and bass extension, and soundstage!
I hope they're a step-up in some way from my HE-400s, which I love. I will most likely hold onto both for a while and compare, or just use the Hifimans when I feel like some airy open fun HPs. But I'll most likely then sell them when I go travelling and take the Fostex's with me.

Also for me they are aesthetically perfect - I love all things black and understated. I knew as soon as I saw the prototype posts ages ago.
Almost for this reason alone I can't bring myself to buy the TH900s (even if I could afford it). By all reports they are technically better and more 'musical' and perhaps have slightly better and more emphasised bass, but neutrality (if it exists in a HP) sounds better to me anyway. I couldn't wear TH900s out in public or at work, I would just feel lame / like a showoff! And that red is an acquired taste and red doesn't always suit me :p Plus the big white Fostex logos....I mean Hifimans are pretty ugly IMO but at least they don't have HiFiMan in white text on the cups or band or something. 
That's one thing that even irks me about my Beyer DT1350s.... it looks like the new version 1350s may have the logo in Matte as an indent, similar to the TH600s...

Anyway I digress... there's a retailer here in Australia that has limited (5x) TH600s for $999 each, compared to about $900 from pricejapan shipped. Might support the local and not have to deal with currency conversions, overseas shipping etc...

I think the only other HP that interests me, that's in the same pricerange as these, are the Beyer T1s, but they're semi-open and I really want a closed pair.

Jun 17, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #658 of 3,438
designbykai,
A few days ago I was at local HP shop, I compared there my TH-600 with: HiFiMAN HE-500, LCD-2/3, Philips Fidelio X1, Denon 7100/600. From all this HP the most similiar to TH-600 IMO was HE-500, of course they still quite different, TH-600 has much more bass (especially midbass and "punch") and TH-600 is slightly brighter on highs and vocal... I wrote a light review of this listening session at russian forum, but my english is not so good to write it here...

Jun 20, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #660 of 3,438
Quote:
designbykai,
A few days ago I was at local HP shop, I compared there my TH-600 with: HiFiMAN HE-500, LCD-2/3, Philips Fidelio X1, Denon 7100/600. From all this HP the most similiar to TH-600 IMO was HE-500, of course they still quite different, TH-600 has much more bass (especially midbass and "punch") and TH-600 is slightly brighter on highs and vocal... I wrote a light review of this listening session at russian forum, but my english is not so good to write it here...

Wow, to me the TH-600 and HE-500 are more different than alike in most areas 
confused.gif
. From your list, they probably are the closest (didn't hear the others so cannot comment).

The HE-4, however, are very close to the TH-600 in sound signature and make for a cheap alternative for those who don't mind open cans and have a beefy amp :wink:.
The TH-600 is more refined though, especially the treble that are to die for (but slightly too  hot with SS amps IMO)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back