Fostex T50RP's IN STOCK AT BHPHOTOVIDEO NOW!!!!
Mar 22, 2011 at 12:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Blasto_Brandino

Has changed names to BattleBrat
$73.95 Free shipping Conus.
I have ordered mine, have you ordered yours?
confused_face.gif

Mar 22, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #2 of 20
I received the email earlier today. It's been so long that I thought they just forgot to send the notification emails or something!
I tried to resist the temptation but I couldn't do it. Luckily I sold a pair of headphones yesterday for the same price so it doesn't hurt my wallet.
I bought the AD700, DT-880 and HD-650 this month so I shouldn't be buying ANY headphones.

I'm going to mod the T50RP and compare them to my Koss Pro DJ 100. I hope it's better or at least has better mids. Maybe something under $200 will finally dethrone it as my favorite.
From what I've read, it should...I hope so!

I know it's best to have an amp with this, but how well is it out of an Ipod Touch with an E5?
normal_smile%20.gif

I'd like to use it a half hour every other day as a portable.

Mar 22, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #3 of 20
Ordered. Now how do I make them Smeggy Thunderpants? :)

Mar 22, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:
I received the email earlier today. It's been so long that I thought they just forgot to send the notification emails or something!
I tried to resist the temptation but I couldn't do it. Luckily I sold a pair of headphones yesterday for the same price so it doesn't hurt my wallet.
I bought the AD700, DT-880 and HD-650 this month so I shouldn't be buying ANY headphones.

I'm going to mod the T50RP and compare them to my Koss Pro DJ 100. I hope it's better or at least has better mids. Maybe something under $200 will finally dethrone it as my favorite.
From what I've read, it should...I hope so!

I know it's best to have an amp with this, but how well is it out of an Ipod Touch with an E5?
normal_smile%20.gif

I'd like to use it a half hour every other day as a portable.

IMO after my modding which included Dynamat, Akasa Paxmate foam, and some handmade lambskin pads they massacre my HD650s.  The HD650's soundstage is just a hair larger and they have that airy "open" feeling that's borderline impossible to get from closed headphones, but they lose to the T50RPs in every other area.

I like a darker tone than you seem to from what I remember you posting in other threads though.  That's probably relevant because the general feeling I get is that people going for a brighter tone (and posting over in the T50RP thread) aren't liking their results quite as much.  Mine sound great out of my Total Bithead as well, so you don't need a monster amp to enjoy them but they improve with more power behind them.

Mar 22, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #6 of 20
Here's a picture of the inside of the cups and outside of the baffle covered with dynamat.  The foam is self-adhesive and is just stuck to the inside of the cup as well.  Don't seal the vent shut with anything permanent because some people like it open and others like it closed.  There's also a small hole on in the baffle that you'll probably want to poke through as well.  It tunes the amount of bass and whether you'll want it open or closed will depend on what other mods you've done.

Mar 22, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #8 of 20
That's plenty.  On sheet is more than enough.

You might want to look at what other people have tried as well rather than copy me exactly, especially since you seem to prefer a brighter sound.  The dynamat and akasa kill reflections and resonances and give you good place to start from.  After that various driver damping and venting arrangements along with different pads can tweak the frequency balance and soundstage.

Mar 24, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #10 of 20
WOW they are out of stock already!?! they were only in stock for <48 hours!

Mar 24, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #11 of 20
I heard these at a meet, and they didn't blow me away.
Perhaps I was expecting too much for the money.

I still feel like they might buy them anyway, cause they are so cheap.

Mar 24, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #12 of 20
I ordered a pair, but then got some e-mail saying my credit card address and phone number weren't right.... Even though they were. E-mailed "Gill" back, I'll be rather annoyed if I miss out on them. 

Mar 24, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #13 of 20
I got my pair in today. It took me probably an hour an a half to do the mods. It's about as fun as removing wallpaper. I used blu-tack around the baffle and then some more in the outer shells along with some foam/felt. I took my time to get all the blu-tack into the tiny cracks. I then made sure the blu-tack was not flat and poked tiny holes in it with a screwdriver. I also removed the foam from the shell to make them semi-open.

I will now need to go back and see what I screwed up. As it is right now they sound dreadful. They're incredibly dark and very muffled sounded. Not even remotely clear. On some terrible Cantopop songs it sounds as if the person is shouting at me. The mids are really annoying my ears. If that wasn't bad enough it feels like there's too much mid-bass. Right now they don't feel even remotely neutral.

Fingers crossed that I just screwed something up along the way. BTW those pads are annoying to get on the first time.

Perhaps there is something I forgot to do? Oh yeah, they are not burned-in, but I imagine even without burn-in they couldn't sound this bad!

Mar 24, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #14 of 20
I would have jumped on these, but that 75 bucks is soooo crucial at this point.  I just couldn't...

I shall wait til they get another batch..I'm in the process of making a cable for these right now
bigsmile_face.gif
  Are most of you guys just sticking with the stock cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back