Fostex T50RP?
May 16, 2012 at 10:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61

Netdewt

Head-Fier
I have a pair of Grado 125 that have seen better days... they rattle, the cans fall apart, the cord is pretty twisted in spots, and the ear pads are molting (again, 2nd set). The drivers are still nice, and I would like to mod these, but I was thinking of maybe getting a different set for at work. I have had these for probably about 10 years.

Fostex T50RP are interesting to me. Will this set be too big of a shock coming from Grado? Any other suggestions? I'm considering spending $50-$75. They don't have to be the perfect headphone, but I'd like for them to be a little sturdier than the Grados, and more comfortable.

Thanks!

May 16, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #3 of 61
While I don't really know how Grado sounds, T50RP are said to be very different. However, as you're interested in modding, T50RP is THE choice. Everything is moddable and the comfort too. I think it's even possible to make them sound in Grado style.

May 16, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #4 of 61
If you don't want to mod the T50RP, you can do better in that price range. T50RPs also need a fairly powerful amp and are terminated with a 1/4" plug by default (aka you probably won't use them as portables). Properly modded (to your tastes), however, they're really excellent headphones. Expect to spend $50 or so for modding materials.

May 16, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #5 of 61
I'll be using whatever I get at my computer for the most part (I work on a computer all day). I have a cMoy I built this winter, but it's not all cased up yet. Are they listenable stock or really bad? Modding would happen in the future if I got them.

Any other recommendations on something thats a great value, closed, durable, comfortable in that $50-$75 range?

May 16, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #6 of 61
I can go uber-cheap too, just don't want to throw my money away. I don't expect $500 sound from $50 headphones, but sometimes the really cheap stuff is a great value. I'm looking for that.

Sennheiser HD201?
Sony MDR-XB500, 300?
Sony MDR-V6?
AKG K142HD?
Panasonic RP-HTX7?

May 16, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #7 of 61
Well, people have noticed that T50RPs purchased recently have slight differences compared to models purchased several months ago. I happen to have heard both. The "old stock" sounded pretty awful at $75. The "new stock", which is likely what you'd get, sounded surprisingly good to my ears. Could you still do better for $75? Probably.

The real potential lies with modding. If you do plan on modding them, they're a steal. Even with basic mods and a few hours of your time, they'll take you pretty far.

You really will need a nice DAC and powerful amp, though, to get the most out of them. With well recorded material (music that did not fall prey to compression and the "loudness wars"), I have to turn my Auzentech Bravura sound card up to 100% to get the volume I want. Just something to keep in mind.

Under $100, there's a FA-003 "clone" on Jaycar for $50 + $20 shipping, I believe. By clone, I mean various companies get the same headphone from one source and slap their name on it. I, personally, was not crazy about my Brainwavz HM5 (same headphone). They are comfortable, have a somewhat neutral sound signature (slightly bloated bass, IMO, along with other oddities in the overall experience), and while they have a fairly simple design, they feel very sturdy.

There's also the Creative Aurvana Live!, which many people (including Tyll from Innerfidelity) say is one of the best headphones under $100. I've seen them go on sale for $55 before. They use the same drivers as the D1001, so you can expect them to have the Denon sound to them (strong bass, slightly recessed mids, sparkly treble).

Still, none of these will really hold a candle to a properly modded pair of T50RPs with a nice DAC + amp to go with it.

May 16, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #8 of 61
Tempted to go with the Fostex still. At least I would have a stark contrast to the Grados I have, and they would be useful in the short term plus hopefully awesome in the longer term. I tried doing some searching and it looks like my cMoy may not be the right type of amp to drive the Fostex, so I'd have to consider a nicer amp. What sort of amp would I be looking for - tubes?

May 16, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #11 of 61
Can't speak for those specific Superlux models, but the Samson SR850 (a supposed copy of the HD668B) sounded pretty good. A bit bright and aggressive at times, but still a very solid headphone.

May 17, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #12 of 61
If I was to mod the Fostex, it looks like a good start would be some Shure 840 pads, a sheet of Dynamat off eBay, and some non-hardening clay from a craft store. I think I could handle that...

May 17, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #13 of 61
^^^ I'd suggest also picking up some acoustic foam and some cotton balls or thicker cotton padding to help address all the sound bouncing around inside the cups, which is one of the bigger issues with stock T50-RPs. Mine are a work in progress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back