Fostex T50rp or Fischer Audio FA-003/HM5/Jaycar
Dec 8, 2012 at 2:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

squallkiercosa

Headphoneus Supremus
Dear Head-Fi community:

At the crossroads between these headphones I need your help to decide :

The Fostex seems to be a good compromise between quality/price and modding capabilities (I am not particularly fond on soldering but I like the idea of playing with simple mods to train my ears) 100$headphones + the Shure pads 15$ and some foam.

On the other hand, I could buy the Jaycar Pro studio headphones and later buy the wood cans from Fischer Audio and install them. 70$ for the headphones and 50$ for beech cans.

Honestly I don't need any of those headphones, I already have my grado for listening sessions and I am quite happy with those. I know both headphones are quite different so its more a matter of taste and desire to buy something new and try orthodynamic headphones and/or wood headphones. I don't have intentions to buy an ATHM50 please. Obviously my budget is limited and my ears are not that good in my opinion to buy Hi end headphones. I use a Fiio e10 and an old Yamaha amp/receiver to listening, but lately the fiio is more useful because I spend more time in front of my laptop than anything else

What do you guys think?

Dec 8, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:
Dear Head-Fi community:
I am planning to buy one of these headphones and I need your help to decide:
The Fostex seems to be a good compromise between quality/price and modding capabilities (I am not particularly fond on soldering but I like the idea of playing with simple mods to train my ears) 100$headphones + the Shure pads 15$ and some foam.
On the other hand, I could buy the Jaycar Pro studio headphones and later buy the wood cans from Fischer Audio and install them. 70$ for the headphones and 50$ for beech cans.
Honestly I don't need any of those headphones, I already have my grado for listening sessions and I am quite happy with those. I know both headphones are quite different so its more a matter of taste and desire to buy something new and try orthodynamic headphones and/or wood headphones. I don't have intentions to buy an ATHM50 please. Obviously my budget is limited and my ears are not that good in my opinion to buy Hi end headphones. I use a Fiio e10 and an old Yamaha amp/receiver to listening, but lately the Fiio is more useful because I spend more time in front of my laptop than anything else
What do you guys think?

I own the Brainwavz HM5, which does have some positives points to it.
But I would say to get the Fostex T50RP and do some mods.

Dec 8, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #4 of 4
Go to this thread and see if you are up to the T50RP modding.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/618659/fostex-t50rp-incremental-mods-and-measurements
No soldering required and BMF gives the step by step directions with pictures. I've done mine with DBV#3 and they sound great. Best p/p available IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back