Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements
Jul 20, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #1,142 of 2,858
LOL, All you Girlie Man's...
biggrin.gif

Once you go comfort strap+alphas, youd never ever want that stock headband touching your head again.

Jul 21, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #1,143 of 2,858
Well I just so happened to install my DIY Vegtan leather comfort strap tonight, FedEex will be dropping off review samples of the new Brainwavz HM5 Extra Thick Pads, the Soft Velor Pads and the new S5...
biggrin.gif

Jul 21, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #1,144 of 2,858
well that looks nice!

Jul 24, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #1,147 of 2,858
I just love these T50RP's out of the modified LD MK IV with a 6SL7GT as the driver.

They are a totally different headphone than when I first listened to them stock.
:beerchug:

Jul 25, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #1,150 of 2,858
I've been working on my T50rp's for a while now trying different mods. I have two questions.

First, has anyone had trouble with the stock 1/8" jack and or cable? I believe my jack has issues because if i spin the cable (as if to unhook it) I get crackling in the right channel and often times it completely cuts out. I'm assuming the right channel spring in the jack is either loose or has a bad connection. I suppose it's possible that it could be the cable but I don't really have a DMM to test continuity while moving the cable around. 

Second question is in regards to damping. I tried to search this and found a few references to people doing this but wasn't sure if anyone else had experimented with the same mod I've been working on. 

I'm running under the assumption that the main issues with the stock t50rp enclosure is that it's cheap plastic and has trouble damping the sound coming off the driver. I tried mod #3 and liked it though i felt that it was a bit bass shy (I probably did it wrong or something). The fact that so much of this seems to be about controlling the backwave from the driver lead me to try coating the entire inside of the back cup in clay similar to the back side of the driver baffle.I used a thin layer but I know it reduces the overall internal volume regardless. It does seems to REALLY deaden the plastic which to me seems very thin/resonant. I could be way off base here and I know I need to get a measurement kit running because tuning by ear can be... unreliable. Just curious if i'm the only one whose messed with using the clay to dampen the entire back cup.

My highly subjective take on this is by itself the clay sounds decent. I tried a few combos and finally am working with the treble reflector and felt like #3 mod, clay coating backcups, silverstone foam strips covering the cup wells, and a tad bit of unrolled cotton. I will try and build a jig or something to use my ECM8000 mic to measure them but i'm worried about how to make it repeatable so as to get good comparisons between mods.

Jul 25, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #1,151 of 2,858
I've tried using spray-on-tar (roof sealer compound). I think at least one person tried plasti-dip. I seem to recall one guy who wanted to try constructing braces for the cup though don't know if he actually did it. I'm not sure if anyone's used the commercial anti-vibration-magic-liquid stuff.

My thoughts: it's a lot of work and a lot of mess for a very minimal-maybe-placebo improvement.

Jul 29, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #1,152 of 2,858
Is there really anyone making decent priced wood cups for these anymore? Just something simple, not anything out of this world

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #1,155 of 2,858
Zmf and vibro labs don't sell the cups seperately, even if they did I'm guessing they'd be very pricey. Im just talking something super basic, but out of a nice tonewood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back