Fostex T40 (Original) - Worth selling second hand?
Dec 7, 2010 at 11:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

benstat

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I notice that the original Fostex T40's (the older ones with the better orthodynamic drivers, not the newer mark II model) are held in high regard in the 'Orthodynamic Roundup' thread. I own a pair, and am considering selling them. Why? Certainly not because I don't like them! They sound great and I've been very happy with them for many years of occasional use with producing my own music.

However, I now find myself wanting to learn to properly mix and master my music, and I've struggled with the T40's with this. Great for listening, not so much for neutral/transparent mixing/mastering.

I hear great things about the Sennheiser HD650's for that - so transparent and much easier to judge bass levels than most other cans. I'm thinking of buying the HD650's but they are expensive! I would reluctantly sell my T40's if it was worthwhile, by which I mean if I was likely to get a decent amount for them!

They are in good condition for their age, and fully working of course. I have no idea how much they are worth, but I gather from this forum that they might be in demand to some extent.

Any idea what they're worth? I almost want to hear 'not much' so I have an excuse to keep them!

Many thanks in advance!

[Edit: They have not been modded in any way.]

Dec 7, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #2 of 6
Most people seem to want the older t20RP and the very hard to find t50. Haven't seen as much interest in the t40. Hopefully someone will be able shed some light on why this is. For mixing and music production, most people prefer the hd600 over the 650 because it's 'flatter'/more neutral in the low end. The 650 is usually considered too overly bass heavy to be neutral. But this is just hearsay as I haven't heard either one myself.

Dec 7, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
Most people seem to want the older t20RP and the very hard to find t50. Haven't seen as much interest in the t40. Hopefully someone will be able shed some light on why this is. For mixing and music production, most people prefer the hd600 over the 650 because it's 'flatter'/more neutral in the low end. The 650 is usually considered too overly bass heavy to be neutral. But this is just hearsay as I haven't heard either one myself.

Thanks. That's interesting because the HD600's are cheaper. I'd be very interested to know if anyone else has any opinions on this...

Dec 7, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #4 of 6
You might want to do a forum search for 'mixing', headphones for 'studio', for 'music production', etc. I used to read a lot of those and saw the hd600 mentioned dozens of times....hardly ever see the hd650 mentioned. I think it's more of an 'audiophile' phone than a studio monitor phone.

Dec 26, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #5 of 6
A bit late in responding to this. 

Quote:
I notice that the original Fostex T40's (the older ones with the better orthodynamic drivers, not the newer mark II model) are held in high regard in the 'Orthodynamic Roundup' thread. I own a pair, and am considering selling them. Why? Certainly not because I don't like them! They sound great and I've been very happy with them for many years of occasional use with producing my own music.

1.  Don't sell them, you may get $75ish for them but most likely less ( however orthos can sell for silly money and T40s don't surface too often, so who knows.) 

Quote:
I hear great things about the Sennheiser HD650's for that - so transparent and much easier to judge bass levels than most other cans. I'm thinking of buying the HD650's but they are expensive!

2. You will more than likely end up being very disappointed. If you can, test a pair first and you may even be lucky enough to have a fellow headfier loan you a pair to test out with your recordings. It has been a while since I had the 600's at home, they were nice enough but not exactly what I would call neutral. 

Quote:
[Edit: They have not been modded in any way.]

3. Mod them, will most likely find the need for a new headphone goes away. The T40 can have powerful controlled bass, absolutely perfect mids , top is a little rolled off at the extreme. 

(ps - I am possibly a little biased to orthodynamic sound)

..dB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back